SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i got a Yamaha WR125X stock. I wanna learn what can i do for increasing its performance, any ideas ?:rolleyes2:

·
Registered
78 Posts
exhaust and power commander are a good start i really like those bike wish the were available in the states

·
Registered
138 Posts
Change bike
What great input you have..... Power Comander is its own brand, there are several brands of fuel controlers out but a power commander is a good choice regardles. I dont have any experiance with the WR125 but if its anything like the WR250X it would benifit greatly from gearing.(either an increase in the rear or decrease in the front sprocket size) Along with the exhaust if you get a fuel controller you can also open up the airbox.

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
What great input you have.....
there really is no point in sinking money in performance upgrades for a 125 4 stroke, because there's not much to be gained in the first place even when you sink a ton of money into it. bikes like a WRX125 are beginner bikes, heavy as hell and hopelessly underpowered because of their engine. chances are this guy is riding a learner bike and will to be moving onto something else in the near future so if it were me I would just work with what I got and save up for the future.

·
Registered
12 Posts
there really is no point in sinking money in performance upgrades for a 125 4 stroke, because there not much to be gained in the first place even when you sink a ton of money into it. bikes like a WRX125 are beginner bikes, heavy as hell and hopelessly underpowered because of their engine. chances are this guy is riding a learner bike and will to be moving onto something else in the near future so if it were me I would just work with what I got and save up for the future.
You read my mind exactly...

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
There is no any stock supermoto in turkey :( only Ducati's Hyperstradas and WR125x
Can you import a bike from another country ?
Can you legally convert an offroad bike to street legal ?

I have a WR250X which is "fully" modified (I've done all the standard mods), and it still doesn't have enough power.
So I can only imagine how little power your WR125X has. (Not trying to be rude)
If I could go back in time, I'd buy a bigger bike instead of spending money modifying my WR250X.

·
Registered
138 Posts
there really is no point in sinking money in performance upgrades for a 125 4 stroke, because there's not much to be gained in the first place even when you sink a ton of money into it. bikes like a WRX125 are beginner bikes, heavy as hell and hopelessly underpowered because of their engine. chances are this guy is riding a learner bike and will to be moving onto something else in the near future so if it were me I would just work with what I got and save up for the future.
I don't disagree that the best option for more performance is a bigger bike if it's an option, witch according to the op it is not an option in his country. I was only commenting on how helpful "change bike" was. It all depends on what you want and what's avalible, if there's no point in sinking money in a wr125 someone should tell the grom and the mini crowd to stop working on there bikes and just buy something bigger. I'm sure there's not a large selection of bikes in turkey.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you import a bike from another country ?
Can you legally convert an offroad bike to street legal ?

I have a WR250X which is "fully" modified (I've done all the standard mods), and it still doesn't have enough power.
So I can only imagine how little power your WR125X has. (Not trying to be rude)
If I could go back in time, I'd buy a bigger bike instead of spending money modifying my WR250X.
Vehicle import is very hard in here,

I might try to convert a CRF250L but have no idea how to do that, only changing rims/tyres will be enough ?
What else i need to change _?

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
I don't disagree that the best option for more performance is a bigger bike if it's an option, witch according to the op it is not an option in his country. I was only commenting on how helpful "change bike" was. It all depends on what you want and what's avalible, if there's no point in sinking money in a wr125 someone should tell the grom and the mini crowd to stop working on there bikes and just buy something bigger. I'm sure there's not a large selection of bikes in turkey.
comparing it to a grom doesn't really fly, a bike like a wrx125 doesn't even come close to having the same amount of followers because it has a completely different fanbase.

what it boils down to, would you sink 500 to a 1000 bucks (average cost of a pipe, powercommander and dynotime to set it up) in a 3 grand bike to gain a mere 2, maybe 3 bhp if you're lucky, and still be left with an overweight and way underpowered vehicle. unless you're pretty fanatical owner, the answer would be no.

·
Registered
138 Posts
comparing it to a grom doesn't really fly, a bike like a wrx125 doesn't even come close to having the same amount of followers because it has a completely different fanbase.

what it boils down to, would you sink 500 to a 1000 bucks (average cost of a pipe, powercommander and dynotime to set it up) in a 3 grand bike to gain a mere 2, maybe 3 bhp if you're lucky, and still be left with an overweight and way underpowered vehicle. unless you're pretty fanatical owner, the answer would be no.
Would I spend that on a bike in a western country where I had the option to buy a larger bike? No. Would I spend that on a bike in turkey (where the op lives) yes.

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Would I spend that on a bike in a western country where I had the option to buy a larger bike? No. Would I spend that on a bike in turkey (where the op lives) yes.

if a WR125X was my only "out of the box" supermoto option I'd look elsewhere and simply do a conversion on bike with more potential. plus you're still completely missing the point, which is in this case the investment does not make up for he will gain in the end. he's better of leaving the bike stock and riding it like that, only thing I'd look into is desmogging it since you can do that for (nearly) free and the bike in general will probably run a bit better.

wrx125 is fuel injected??????
it is

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
if a WR125X was my only "out of the box" supermoto option I'd look elsewhere and simply do a conversion on bike with more potential.
Not trying to start a war, but not all countries allow conversions. Canada, for example, does not...:damn:
Hence why I asked in my last post.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would say, don't start tuning it, because it's not going to be worth the money.
But if you want to learn to tune the engine, then why not?

- Power commander is what you need first. Then you can adjust the A/F ratio (at dyno)
- Big bore kit | 180cc and 205cc kits are atleast available; 180cc is more reliable and cheaper
- 'Racing' camshaft
- Bigger throttle body | Koso 32mm ?
- Head porting work
- Bigger valves or a new cylinder head with bigger valves (atleast bigger inlet valve)
- Re-programmable CDI unit (e.g Ignitech?)
- Performance exhaust kit / custom made

Tuning options are unlimited - only money and skills limit the tuning.

Just my 0.02$

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not trying to start a war, but not all countries allow conversions. Canada, for example, does not...:damn:
Hence why I asked in my last post.
:thumbup: No war going on, just a freindly disagreance of opinion. What fun would it be if everybody agreed on everything? To some its not worth investing money in an underpowered bike. Ive owned all sorts of bikes and some im sure i shouldnt have invested the kind of money i did into them. But on the other hand when i was a kid i invested all of the money i made working on the farm into my XR200, why because my parents would not let me buy an XR400 or a CR125/250. I dont for one second regreat rebuilding the motor or puting a pipe on it. The most fun i have ever had was riding that bike all over the town every free second i had. And the best part was it was built the way i wanted.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts