SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, 525 exc converted to motard with the KTM Behr motard wheels. Does anyone know if these KTM wheels come with cush? How can I tell if I already have a cush drive? What am I looking for?

I know these bikes don't really need one as there are countless riders riding thousands of motard miles without issues but I wouldn't mind one just for piece of mind if they aren't too much of a hassle to fit up.

Could someone explain how to go about doing it? Are these an interchangeable part with pretty standard general dimensions and if not then what dimensions will be needed and what kind of modifications to the wheel assembly will be needed?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
regular hubs exist out of 1 part, the sprocket is directly bolted onto the hub.

a cush hub is larger on the sprocket side because it uses a sprocket carrier and has rubber inserts housed inside the hub which provide damping.

if you don't have a cush hub and want to get one your have no other choice but to buy a complete wheel. the spoke angle on a cushed wheel is different, which means you can't simply relace the rim you have now with a different hub and spokes.

cush hub (spokes connected to the outer edge of the hub):

regular hub (spokes visable on the inside of the hub):

·
Registered
976 Posts
on the bottom picture, in the orange part of the wheel, you can see the holes where the ends of the spokes come out. In the top pick you cant because the cush is in the way.
Also, I have a 525 EXC with Hard Parts Behr wheels, and there is not a cush hub. I dont really feel the need for it, but I might look into getting a Kush sprocket. You might be interested in one too. Its a huge money saver over a complete switchover.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I see what you mean now. My wheel looks exactly like the top picture. Guess it is definitely a cush hub then? It looks nothing like the bottom picture but I thought that just might be different brand differences of the wheels.

You have the Behr wheels and it doesn't have a cush? Is it possible there is a cush and non cush version of the same wheel then?

thanks guys

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yea, it's definitely possible that Behr offered wheels with and without the cush hub. If you cant see the end of your spokes on your hub, and it looks like the top pic, you're probably running a cush hub already. Good deal.
Think I'm gonna look into the Kush sprockets. you just reminded me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts