SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
6,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I figured I would make this thread so others don't have to go threw the madness I did. First off I did this on my smr where I needed lights. It is much simpler without lights. Here is a list of parts needed.
1. 07 or older wiring harness, cdi, volt reg, kill switch, stator flywheel and cover
2. 07 or older carb or a carb from a post 08 carbed bike. Tc or txc.
3. 08 or newer carbed bike fuel tank
4. 08 or newer carbed bike air box boot and intake boot.
5. An EFI flywheel puller

Now I could go into why you need these things and what won't work but that will take too long. The only thing I'm not 100% positive about is the coil. I used the EFI coil since the carbed coil is much shorter and won't mount up. The only difference that I can tell us the EFI coil has two blade connectors on it instead of one. But one is much smaller. So I jyst used the big blade connector. I don't see why it won't work, but like I said it's not confirmed.

· Registered
2,388 Posts
How much simpler if you don't need lights? Say I wanted it to be just like a TC450, but with an electric start.

I was hoping just wire harness, carb and the intake stuff, but not sure. Definitely want to see where this goes. :)

· Registered
5,348 Posts
damn Hawaii'ans with nothing better to do..:headscrat

:anim_peep:

· Registered
6,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will need the harness, both boots, cdi, stator and cover. Carb, tank,
I'm not sure about the regulator. Is all is using the 08 and newer. You can use your FI tank, but you will need to make a block off plate for where the pump sits and drill a hole for the petcock. Look on the bottom if the tank it has a mold mark where to drill. I jyst got a used tank off of jeff

· Registered
6,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TANK...... You can't use a older tank. You must use a newer tank. Now I got a hookup on a 08 tc250 tank (only 250 part you can use well maybe the harness but I don't know). You can use the EFI tank. You can either jyst leave the pump in the tank, or make a block off plate. Then you will need to drill a hole for the petcock. No biggie because if you look there is an outline exactly where it goes from the mold. So drill the center hole then the mount screws are like wood screws. I would NOT pilot these. I don't know how deep the plastic is before it goes into the tank. I'm guessing it's a tad more that .5 of an inch. So if you were really careful you could pilot the holes using a drill stop. Or maybe heat up the screw before you install them.

· Premium Member
3,678 Posts
damn Hawaii'ans with nothing better to do..:headscrat

We got plenty more to do, beaches, surfing, bbq, waikiki nights, north shore dirtbiking, coconut hunting, scuba, skydiving, cliff jumping, kite boarding, parasailing, jet skis, blue water fishing, coastal hiking, 4 other islands within a 20min plane ride, volcanos.....ummm sure missing something else :coffee:

Nice job steveo, cant wait to see how she runs, hopefully better than your previous experience you had with the efi. you are a carb guru!! :thumbup:

· Registered
5,348 Posts
We got plenty more to do, beaches, surfing, bbq, waikiki nights, north shore dirtbiking, coconut hunting, scuba, skydiving, cliff jumping, kite boarding, parasailing, jet skis, blue water fishing, coastal hiking, 4 other islands within a 20min plane ride, volcanos.....ummm sure missing something else :coffee:

Nice job steveo, cant wait to see how she runs, hopefully better than your previous experience you had with the efi. you are a carb guru!! :thumbup:
HAHA....I didn't see skiing,snowboarding, or ice skating in that list anywhere :lol:

· Registered
6,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HAHA....I didn't see skiing,snowboarding, or ice skating in that list anywhere :lol:
Well skiing went out in the 90's lol. We have snow on mauna kea snd yes they snowboard up there. Nothing like whistler or anything but they do it. Ice skating...check ice palace is on the other side of the mountain.

Squirt left out one very important thing! Chasing the hookers.

· Registered
6,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I forgot to add that I gave that new carb some Tokyo mods love before she went in. Tokyo mods fuel screw, throttle spring, and accelerator spring. And pre jetted it according to the jetting bible for huskies. Perfect setup in my old 06 with option 2.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-336681.html

· Registered
5,348 Posts
Bring your 530!! 250k is about as cheap as it gets. Hell ya we can get you a job. Better yet I'll quit my job and we both can work at a golf course cutting and smoking grass.
:laughingr:Funny::Funny:

· Premium Member
4,685 Posts

Sooo.. I need to come out and check out some of this! Oh ya, and I have to "Ride Husky in Hawaii"... Just another thing I want to do, so I hope I can borrow one of you guys' scooters for a rip! :lol:
You guys sure know how to play hard. I wanna do some fishin, ridin, hooker chasin, Coconut hunting, and all that stuff!

Just one question: why?
Lack of dealer support and Dyno is what persuaded him I believe.. Well that, and he's a crazy Hawaiian :D

· Registered
6,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow have I missed that ever so distinctive whistle of an fcr. Yesterday I received the final parts. She fired to life almost instantly. I still have some fine tuning to do with the jetting, but boy am I happy with the results. My biggest observation was the better low end torque, consistency of the throttle inputs. It fires as soon as you touch the button. I don't think the motor makes a full revolution before starting. The power is wonderful from the bottom to the top with zero issues. No flat spots, stumbles or anything of the sort. I am getting the infamous smr pop on decel, but like stated I will work that out. I am 100% pleased with the results and happy I did it. The night and day difference between the EFI and carb is unbelievable. You don't notice how bad the EFI is until you ride a carbed. I have always loved huskys and always will, but boy did they miss the mark on the EFI. I will update the parts list required for the swap as soon as I can. Sometimes my friends simplicity is flat out better than half ass technology. The fcr is flat out an better system. Sure it cost me alot to swap it all over, but the end result was worth it. Like stated many times before.... There is good reason that the 450-530RR has a fcr on it. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to help. I sure did hit some bumps along the way, but hey that's part of the game. Aloha
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/04yamahar1/3c0989b8.mp4

· Registered
152 Posts
I think you were just lacking a good dyno tyne with PC-V. I've ridden both and can't tell a whole lot of difference. Power delivery is a bit smoother on the EFI and a bit harsher on the carb, but that's nitpicking.

Of course, the EFI bike was dyno tuned properly. Bad tune/no tune? Forget about it.

-Dave

1 - 20 of 30 Posts