SuperMoto Junkie banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Allright from the top:

Norman, glad it helped, it's the number 1 problem encountered in sliding

Shift, take it as fast as you feel comftable, because frustrated attempts almost always end in nasty crashes ...if you don't have any races to win, don't rush anything...

Meeners, I'm trying to figure out what that seat butt stuff meant :hammer:

knightRider, "too quickly" is a subjective term so it's hard to say, plus suspension and chasis setup is a seriously complicated matter (for me at least :D) ...generaly yes, on quick rebound the bike will be less stable, but slow rebound will eat your rear tyre and make the rear slide more difficult..best advice would be to play around with it and see what happens ..again it's a subject I'm not very handy at and in my experience very very few people know how to set the bike up really well (even in the world championship)

Allright 2 strokes ...well nothing that special really ...you just have less engine braking so you make your life somewhat harder for nailing slides ...here the importance of front brake is that much greater, because less eng brake means you have to unload the rear even more to get it loose in a controlled fashion ...250cc smokers have some brake so you should be able to manage, 125cc can be quite a challenge though..I tried a CR125 in my first supermoto year and it was a little more reluctant to slide but you can do it (it had a 320mm disc with a radial 4 piston brake), I was much more terrified of corner exit, because on supermoto that sudden powerband oomph can highside you nicely..
A word of warning though, some say (consult your mechanics) that sliding a smoker may damage the engine, because the bike is in high revs with zero throttle on braking and not enough oil gets fed in ...infact the CR died right after my run :D (the guy did shitty maintenance though)

·
Registered
37 Posts
can this be done without a slipper clutch? If so what is the technique?
Very cool riding by the way...I can only dream of one day having that kind of control....:clap:

·
Registered
40 Posts
You'll have to forgive me, I only just started with supermotos... The way this sounds, you're slowing throughout the entire turn, then picking the bike up, before getting back on the throttle? Also, it sounds like you can do it with the stock clutch, you just have to learn where the sweet spot is?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
You'll have to forgive me, I only just started with supermotos... The way this sounds, you're slowing throughout the entire turn, then picking the bike up, before getting back on the throttle? Also, it sounds like you can do it with the stock clutch, you just have to learn where the sweet spot is?
This video doesnt show it all(13s cap on slowmo recording in think) but this was Gerry at one of our VIR track days. You can see the back end slowly step out. You are braking hard with the front and the back tire is scrubbing off speed as well. The closer you get to the apex of the turn you progressively steer the front so that when you are at the apex your wheels are back in line. You never have to pick the bike up per say but you need to get back on the gas.

I take a wider line into that turn and in this video i scrubbed off too much speed( i wasnt carrying enough speed into the turn) so i wasnt deep enough and i early apex'd the turn. But what you can see is my tires slowly coming back into line.

You can do it just fine without a slipper, you just need to be more careful with the clutch. I still use the clutch even though i have a slipper. If you dont have one and you dont slip the clutch right you will get chatter/wheel hop. Here is a good example. Gerry hopped on someones CRF250 that didnt have a slipper. I think this was his first or second lap on it when the video was taken. You can see the "hop". After another lap he was super smooth on that bike. One thing that is very interesting to see is just how much the rear wheel hop makes the front end dive. The farther you lean over while sliding the more you are loading and unloading your contact patch. A good way to tuck the front end.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Looks like you trusted the Youtube "shakey" fix. I have never seen a video that was actually improved by that feature. On the contrary, it gives me a headache... :headscrat

·
Registered
446 Posts
nice vid shift!! So the faster you're going MPH wise the more gears you bang down? Off that straight you drop 4 gears! I just got a SXV 550 and I want to try this! How do you get the back out? Even if you get the back loose? Just counter-steer?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
This video doesnt show it all(13s cap on slowmo recording in think) but this was Gerry at one of our VIR track days. You can see the back end slowly step out. You are braking hard with the front and the back tire is scrubbing off speed as well. The closer you get to the apex of the turn you progressively steer the front so that when you are at the apex your wheels are back in line. You never have to pick the bike up per say but you need to get back on the gas.

I take a wider line into that turn and in this video i scrubbed off too much speed( i wasnt carrying enough speed into the turn) so i wasnt deep enough and i early apex'd the turn. But what you can see is my tires slowly coming back into line.

You can do it just fine without a slipper, you just need to be more careful with the clutch. I still use the clutch even though i have a slipper. If you dont have one and you dont slip the clutch right you will get chatter/wheel hop. Here is a good example. Gerry hopped on someones CRF250 that didnt have a slipper. I think this was his first or second lap on it when the video was taken. You can see the "hop". After another lap he was super smooth on that bike. One thing that is very interesting to see is just how much the rear wheel hop makes the front end dive. The farther you lean over while sliding the more you are loading and unloading your contact patch. A good way to tuck the front end.

you're braking way early. looking good, though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Allright, the slipper clutch stuff is exactly explained in the article (the instructions are for a normal clutch)...as you noticed correctly you have to find the sweet spot ...shift posted neat videos (looking good by the way) that show what that chatter is ...you just have to have the clutch halfway in, just "below" the chattering ...and the observation was correct, you can use more front brake, I can see the forks aren't compressed much

....and shift was also correct about the turning in ...you let the back end do your turning, so there is less of a chance for the front end to tuck ...you lean progressively more towards the apex, gradually letting go of the brakes at the end and then progressively on the throttle and decreasing the lean ...ideally it should be one fluid motion

My friend and I made this video, maybe it helps a bit ...it's not too fluid though, we were trying to be flashy for the camera :D (I'm mr. 36)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wNNOx6g7WYc

Then this is the current world championship top rider ...this is what it ultimately should look like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYd6zuEK0Y4

We never got around to making a howto video, largely because none of us wants to talk infront of a camera :D ...It is in my plans though, so I might make it later this year...

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Allright, the slipper clutch stuff is exactly explained in the article (the instructions are for a normal clutch)...as you noticed correctly you have to find the sweet spot ...shift posted neat videos (looking good by the way) that show what that chatter is ...you just have to have the clutch halfway in, just "below" the chattering ...and the observation was correct, you can use more front brake, I can see the forks aren't compressed much

....and shift was also correct about the turning in ...you let the back end do your turning, so there is less of a chance for the front end to tuck ...you lean progressively more towards the apex, gradually letting go of the brakes at the end and then progressively on the throttle and decreasing the lean ...ideally it should be one fluid motion

My friend and I made this video, maybe it helps a bit ...it's not too fluid though, we were trying to be flashy for the camera :D (I'm mr. 36)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wNNOx6g7WYc

Then this is the current world championship top rider ...this is what it ultimately should look like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYd6zuEK0Y4

We never got around to making a howto video, largely because none of us wants to talk infront of a camera :D ...It is in my plans though, so I might make it later this year...

Very cool vids!

you're braking way early. looking good, though.

I did in that video yes. Im still trying to get my bike setup. It has a MX master on it still and my brake feel is super soft. I have a magura radial master on the way that im hoping will help the brake feel. Ive hit that turn right a bunch of times but i constantly find myself either overshooting it or braking too early. When i can easily pull my brake lever to the bar after a session thats not good:) :bannana:

nice vid shift!! So the faster you're going MPH wise the more gears you bang down? Off that straight you drop 4 gears! I just got a SXV 550 and I want to try this! How do you get the back out? Even if you get the back loose? Just counter-steer?

The gears you go down depend on the speed in the corner you are going to. My bike is a 4 speed. On the back straight i go from 4th to 1st. On the start/finish i go from 3rd to 1st. Ive tried going to second but i wasnt getting enough drive out of the corner and i was slower. Im still learning. One thing i noticed is that my bike is hard to ride:) Im looking to build a bike this winter and set it up right.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
The counter steering comes naturally, don't worry about that, you don't turn the bars sideways and see what happens ...gears depend on what gear you are in before the braking and what gear is good for the corner (if you come to the corner in 4th gear and it's a 2nd gear corner, you bang down 2 while braking) ...the SXV is the best road legal supermoto out there, so the bike is great to learn this stuff ...read the bloody article, everything is explained in detail (I wrote it especially for people to learn this), if you have further questions feel free to ask :D

My first ever supermoto was an SXV ...the only mods were the exhaust and suspension revalve ...here is one of my first slides with it:

this one is with no gears down, just clutch halfway engaged and brakes on ...but for learning it's best if you go 2 gears down on your SXV, 3rd-1st or 4th-2nd (depends on your sprockets)

·
Registered
446 Posts
The counter steering comes naturally, don't worry about that, you don't turn the bars sideways and see what happens ...gears depend on what gear you are in before the braking and what gear is good for the corner (if you come to the corner in 4th gear and it's a 2nd gear corner, you bang down 2 while braking) ...the SXV is the best road legal supermoto out there, so the bike is great to learn this stuff ...read the bloody article, everything is explained in detail (I wrote it especially for people to learn this), if you have further questions feel free to ask :D

My first ever supermoto was an SXV ...the only mods were the exhaust and suspension revalve ...here is one of my first slides with it:

this one is with no gears down, just clutch halfway engaged and brakes on ...but for learning it's best if you go 2 gears down on your SXV, 3rd-1st or 4th-2nd (depends on your sprockets)
I figured as much, I mean what else would have if kick out. Dont worry about me, Ive owned the SXV for less than 200 miles and have already have me buck me off once, in other words my hip looks like Rhinna after a date with Brown. Lol, so I'm def going to be takin her easy. I've read the article plenty of times, I just like the extra clarity. Since I've been watching all these vids and other threads. Boo on the video, it is set to private!

21 - 40 of 64 Posts