SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello from Europe, I saw a lot of you guys still having questions about backing it in and drifting, so here's an article I wrote on the subject. If you have questions/doubts, I'm glad to answer them:thumbup::

ARTICLE

And if you liked the article you can also like me :D. Lately I can't even buy tires, so any likes might help me get some bloody sponsors:

FACEBOOK PAGE

For motivation: I started nailing the right-leg-down sliding technique this year, here's 2 fresh pics:

Cheers!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I need more corner speed. Would it be any easier in a smooth, sealed, squeaky clean parking lot?
Getting the hang of sliding would be easier in a parking lot, yes, because you don't have marks to hit etc.

For corner speed you need to practice on a track. I would have to see a video of you riding because there is a number of mistakes you can make regarding corner speed. The most common one for rookies, when they learn sliding is that they can't lean the bike very much when sliding, so often they have a very straight line in corner entry, so they must loose a lot of speed to make the turn.
Practice sliding and try to get that thing as low as possible, when you are comfortable focus on transitioning from slide to throttle fluently and most importantly, getting that nice U-shaped corner line. Hope it helps, if not maybe get someone to film you (cellphones do a preety good job nowadays) and I can tell you exactly what to work on :thumbup:

·
Registered
105 Posts
So I am wondering if bike size has anything to do with it? I have a 1993 XR600r and she's not shy about her heft. Does that also play into the speed needed? This is my first SM btw which will mainly be for street and dirt but I would like to try a few track days and don't wanna get run over by the other lighter bikes. Also do I need race tires to be able to have the grip for this? My new setup is coming with Continental ContiForce tires

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Great write up! Do you really not touch the clutch when using a slipper? I have one and I still tend to feather the clutch. I've tried letting the slipper do all the work and it didn't feel right.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great write up! Do you really not touch the clutch when using a slipper? I have one and I still tend to feather the clutch. I've tried letting the slipper do all the work and it didn't feel right.
Yep, no clutch for me in corner entry, I find it easier to just forget about it and focus on my braking ...there's a big psychological factor with this I think ...some riders feather it like you do, because it doesn't feel right for them ...when I raced a Rieju with an adige clutch (we had to feather it, if not it would chatter) I couldn't get my corner entry right, the clutch operation distracted me a little and I felt like I couldn't use my hands as freely...
If it chatters you must use the clutch anyway, if not I think it's a matter of what works best for you ...if you're fast with feathering then keep doing it

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Yep, no clutch for me in corner entry, I find it easier to just forget about it and focus on my braking ...there's a big psychological factor with this I think ...some riders feather it like you do, because it doesn't feel right for them ...when I raced a Rieju with an adige clutch (we had to feather it, if not it would chatter) I couldn't get my corner entry right, the clutch operation distracted me a little and I felt like I couldn't use my hands as freely...
If it chatters you must use the clutch anyway, if not I think it's a matter of what works best for you ...if you're fast with feathering then keep doing it

thanks! Ill give it a try again this weekend. It would be great not to fool with the clutch :) I already have to think about my rear brake cause my tech7's are super stiff and i have trouble feeling it. Ill report back after sunday to let you know. fyi i have an STM slipper

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks! Ill give it a try again this weekend. It would be great not to fool with the clutch :) I already have to think about my rear brake cause my tech7's are super stiff and i have trouble feeling it. Ill report back after sunday to let you know. fyi i have an STM slipper
Yes, STM is the good stuff ...if the boots are new try to do some squats to get the ankle section a little more rubbery ...looking forward to hearing how you managed :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I am wondering if bike size has anything to do with it? I have a 1993 XR600r and she's not shy about her heft. Does that also play into the speed needed? This is my first SM btw which will mainly be for street and dirt but I would like to try a few track days and don't wanna get run over by the other lighter bikes. Also do I need race tires to be able to have the grip for this? My new setup is coming with Continental ContiForce tires
Sorry mate, I didn't see your post! ...Yes bike size and weight have anything to do with everything :D ...more weight means that you can't brake as late if you brake equally hard (though the XR isn't that much heavier)...but your tyres will be under the same amount of stress, so it shouldn't inhibit your slides ...some of my friends rode KTM LC4, which is even heavier and managed nicely, you just can't be as nible as on a lighter bike, it's all a little more sluggish, but also a little more stable due to its superior inertia ...and no, for normal sliding you don't need racing tyres, it's actually easier to start with less grip, you don't need such hard braking to get the back end out (I started learning on a 125cc enduro with Mitas tyres) ...race tyres enable you to get really really low, but you need skill for that more than tyres :D ...to sum it up, unless you have a +370lbs bike, weight isn't an issue in performing slides and you shouldn't encounter any problems because of it :thumbup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Whoa, you have dual front calipers on a CRF!! :headscrat Ive never seen that before.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Was practicing today. Man I can't seem to get the rear to kick out enough. I'm down shifting two from fourth. Holding the rear brake down a bit and feathering the clutch. Should I be neutral on the seat or further forward? Maybe a wr250x isn't meant to be backed in lol.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whoa, you have dual front calipers on a CRF!! :headscrat Ive never seen that before.
Yeah, they're Nuova Faor brakes, fork bottoms and callipers are made from a single billet piece, no screws ...the irony is they brake less than single disc brakes, but they're more controllable and the front tends to slide out less on braking...

Was practicing today. Man I can't seem to get the rear to kick out enough. I'm down shifting two from fourth. Holding the rear brake down a bit and feathering the clutch. Should I be neutral on the seat or further forward? Maybe a wr250x isn't meant to be backed in lol.
Everything is meant to be backed in :D ...you should be seated neutral, I would have to see you but I assume you don't brake hard enough with the front brake ...as the article says, front brake is the most important, I can't slide my bike at all if I don't brake hard on the front ...try giving that lever a proper squeeze!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'll try to post up a video when I get a chance. I went out again and this time I was getting it done. Like you said, needed way more brake.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Yes, STM is the good stuff ...if the boots are new try to do some squats to get the ankle section a little more rubbery ...looking forward to hearing how you managed :D
I didnt really play around with it this weekend unfortunately :) i was breaking in some new tires and mostly fooling with them. The bike was acting a little odd backing it in so i didnt want to add another element into the mix. The next time to the track ill try to work on this.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I tried to do this the other day with a 2 stroke and nearly tore my seat with the butt hole pucker.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts