SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off, i couldn't have done this without the thread posted by Blome about 625 smc tips and tricks. going from his thread and advice, i removed my rear stock signals and plate frame and used the outer bulbs of the tail light as signals. to do this you will need to buy a new socket for the center bulb of the tail light as well as an 1157 bulb to go into the socket. the reason for this is the stock main bulb only has 1 filament, where we want it to shine at half bright as a running light then fully bright as a brake light. the 1157 bulb has 2 filaments for this reason. the socket i bought was a Conduct Tite 85822 with 3 wires (must have 3 wires, 1 for running light, 1 for brake, 1 ground). i found the bulb at an Advance Auto Parts. i started with the signal lights.

first, cut off the rubber wire protector to get to the wires inside. IF your bike is wired like mine, an '05, then the purple wire powers the left signal, the black wire powers the right signal, and the brown wires are grounds. cut all 4 of those wires wherever you need them. cut the white wire to the outer left tail light bulb and splice the purple one to it (don't mess with brown), cut the white wire to the outer right tail light bulb and splice the black one to it (don't mess with brown). now you should be able to test your signal lights and the used to be tail lights should flash as signals.

now the main socket. the socket i bought was a close fit, but i had to take wire cutters and pliers to break and bend the hooks to fit the hole in the tail light (not as bad as it sounds, you can get it). then it is pretty straight forward, the black wire from the socket is the ground (run it to any brown wire (such as the old running light ground)), splice the yellow wire to the green and white wire (the brake's power wire), and splice the brown wire of the socket to one of the two white wires that used to be run to running lights (outer bulbs of stock brake).

all said and done, you should have two outer bulbs that work as signals and a center bulb that works as a running light and brake light.
hope this information helps.

the socket i bought

how i had to bend the hooks

splicing in the brake light

jumble of wires

finished product

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they had the LED's there, but they were $17 for a pair. i was goin to check ebay for an individual bulb

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blome, you were right. if anyone goes to do this project might as well go ahead and get the LED light as the regular bulb won't last too long at all

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Great writeup. I did this tonight, and the instructions were perfect. Taking my time it still only took about 35 minutes! I got the bulb socket (exact same part #) from my local Pepboys, and the LED 1157 bulb (comes in 2 pack) from Autozone. Total cost was only about $21.

Thanks again for the instructions!
-Banning.

·
Registered
244 Posts
finally got around to doing this mod. it looks great. the only minor change i did was i installed 1157 LED amber bulbs (2 for $10 on ebay) for the the signals too. i used a 1" hole saw. i also had to cut a little bit of the edges off the socket to make it fit nice and snug. they're super bright and i'll never need to worry about a bulb going dead on me.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what was the hole saw used for?
i haven't changed my rear signal bulbs, and they blink really fast. when you switched to those amber LED's did it slow down the blinking speed?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yeah, ebay should be about 8$ for one. You won't need a pair cause they don't really blow out.
Hey blome, I have blown my filement pile of crap bulbs twice ( i ride off road a decent amount) which LED part number did u run a search on??? I have an 05 625 SMC..... I'd LOVE TO GO TO LED's!!!!

Anyone? Blome?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I don't have the part number, but I can tell you that I got my 1157 LED bulb from Autozone. Comes in a 2-pack for about $18. They are red LEDs, and after 1,500 hard miles (wheelies, jumps, rough roads) they work fine. The only problem I had with the conversion is that the bulb socket kept popping out of the black plastic tail housing. I fixed that with a couple of zip ties though, pulling it back tight against the housing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah there isn't really a part number. if you did the socket conversion, it is just an 1157 LED bulb.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought the same socket (85822) and my 1157 LED bulb keeps falling out when I ride. Should I just glue it in or something?

Also, the turn signals which were previously running lights burnt out the next day. I'm positive the wiring is correct. Is there an LED replacement for those sockets?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah i did have problems at first with the bulb vibrating out. the best i remember, i wrapped a layer of electrical tape around the plastic part of the bulb and it wedged it in there when i put the bulb in. also, adjust those little metal flanges that hold it in place until it goes in tight.

hmm, for the turn signals i never had that happen. they did blink faster than normal, but i never had one blow and i ran it like that for almost a year.

sold the bike over a year ago, you brought back some good memories :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
yeah i did have problems at first with the bulb vibrating out. the best i remember, i wrapped a layer of electrical tape around the plastic part of the bulb and it wedged it in there when i put the bulb in. also, adjust those little metal flanges that hold it in place until it goes in tight.

hmm, for the turn signals i never had that happen. they did blink faster than normal, but i never had one blow and i ran it like that for almost a year.

sold the bike over a year ago, you brought back some good memories :D
Thanks, I'll try the tape idea out. I got new signal bulbs and they work for now, we'll see how long they last.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
The bulb housing with the metal tabs was junk in my opinion. I replaced it with another that had plastic groves/tabs kinda like the stock one did. That lasted for a little while but still would vibrate loose and come out of the tail light housing. With this newer housing the zip ties across it (between the wires) and to each metal post of the tail light housing does the trick.

I've never had a problem with the two smaller bulbs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My middle bulb will not stay in the socket at all. Its a jamstrait 1157 led and im using the same 85822 socket as the OP. I mean once i get it in the socket if the wind blows it will literally lose contact and flicker on and off. Im not kidding about the wind either. The bulb doesnt seem to grab inside the socket and hold on well at all.

This is pissing me off as its keeping me from riding the last 3 days.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts