SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much motorcycle experience (excluding track days) do you think is necessary before riding a 450 "track bike" as a street bike?

I know this is in no way quantifiable, and in the same vain there is no "one answer," but I'd like differing suggestions, opinions, and experiences. At what point is a rider "ready" to make the leap?

----------------------------------------------​

My dilemma: I am 28 years old and completely new to motorcycles. I love the Yamaha WRs and Husqvarna and KTM SMRs, but I know they're not considered great beginner bikes. I may wind up getting a DRZ, or might get a more street-oriented bike depending on what falls on my lap. I live in New York City, so I don't need a daily commuter. I'm just curious how much riding experience is considered necessary before hopping onto a 450.

Thanks for any input or funny stories.

·
Registered
46 Posts
dont be scared of them man! if you can handle a drz, you can handle an sxv,crf or any other sm ya want! just dont wind on the throttle as hard... and have fun! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
The bike isn't the main issue really. Actually these bikes are safer IMO than "other" types of street bikes. Street skills come with saddle time, lots of dangers out there. Namely cars/trucks with ignorant drivers not looking for you.

Take a class and have fun, be safe.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Like the others have said, any motard is generally going to be a better first bike than just about any RR that so many people tend to hop on.

From a first bike standpoint, obviously, you'll need to be a little more careful with one of the 450s than, say, a DRZ. But if you physically fit the bike okay (i.e. it's not too tall for you....most of the 450s are tall and too tall a first bike is a very bad idea), then as long as you're not stupid with it, you should be alright.

That one thing I will mentioned is maintenence. Make sure you're up for it. The 450s will be more than some of the other bikes. But if you're ready for that and you're not using it as daily commuter anyway, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
913 Posts
in addition to what was said above, you need "street sense"

if you are a safe driver 8 out of 10 times you will be a safe rider........

this also brings up another issue.............if you drive often and know how other ppl drive, then as a new rider, this knowledge crosses over, so you generally know what to expect from other road uses.............if you do not drive or have little road experience, and are new to riding, you know very little, and there is a higher risk of being in an accident...........

this is also a good thread:
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?111896

·
Registered
366 Posts
just be safe your the one in control of how fast it goes:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
You said you're new to motorcycles. If that's the case I'd say stick to the track until all of the controls become instinctive. You don't wan't to be thinking about shifting/braking in an emergency, even using 1% of your brain can be too much. Especially in city riding, you want your shifting/braking/turning to require as much thought as breathing.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dont be scared of them man! if you can handle a drz, you can handle an sxv,crf or any other sm ya want! just dont wind on the throttle as hard... and have fun! :thumbup:
Well so far I haven't even ridden a DRZ. That's sort of what I'm asking. If I'm a total noob (only experience on motorcycles is the MSF, but I was super comfortable and fairly confident; rode bicycles for years and years), is it practically essential to "train" on another bike (e.g. DRZ, SV650) before stepping up to a 450?

The bike isn't the main issue really. Actually these bikes are safer IMO than "other" types of street bikes. Street skills come with saddle time, lots of dangers out there. Namely cars/trucks with ignorant drivers not looking for you.

Take a class and have fun, be safe.
Yeah, "street bike" is vague terminology I suppose. I was referring to a Honda Hawk (aka Bros; V-twin, 650) because someone I know has an amazing example of one. Wish I had a picture. I'm not considering or interested in fairing'd sport bikes, so that category is off the table.
Of course I expect the street skills to evolve over time, but my concern is what bike to learn those skills on and when it would be appropriate to move onto a 450 if I desired to. Or if it's beiieved that 450s aren't the worst thing in the world to learn on.

From a first bike standpoint, obviously, you'll need to be a little more careful with one of the 450s than, say, a DRZ. But if you physically fit the bike okay (i.e. it's not too tall for you....most of the 450s are tall and too tall a first bike is a very bad idea), then as long as you're not stupid with it, you should be alright.

That one thing I will mentioned is maintenence. Make sure you're up for it. The 450s will be more than some of the other bikes. But if you're ready for that and you're not using it as daily commuter anyway, you'll be fine.
I'm 5'9 or so, but only about 135 lbs, hence why lightweight is so appealing to me. From what I've read, I should fit most motards just fine. Of course, I'm obviously speaking from little to no experience. :)
I have fortunately met a couple of mechanics in my area, one of whom works maybe five blocks from me and owns a KTM 450. If I have any mechanical issues I have a few good people to turn to. As for commuting, the farthest I would likely need to ride would be about 15 miles out. I'm taking my final class before I graduate this summer and my school is 9 miles away.

just be safe your the one in control of how fast it goes:thumbup:
Actually throttle control is one of my biggest concerns, if not only concerns in comparison to learning on more tame bikes.

I really wish I could just test ride one to see what I'd be getting myself into. I really appreciate all the input and any more would be great. Right now I'm just a poser living vicariously through others' stories. :D

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I think youd be fine. posting this thread shows you know what your getting into more responsible than most.

That being said I'd get it with the right "street" gearing you wont be looping em out everywhere although the potential is there. because if you get something else youll just be wasting your money in the long run i think. knowing what they are capable of puts you in the right mind set to respect it when first starting. these are super easy to ride just like a BMX bike. Iv let e few newb riders on my yz450 and all you need to know is to remember to pull the clutch when it gets scary. they taught you that in MSF youll be good to go. and for the very first time riding it get in a parkinglot somewhere just like MSF and do some laps youll be street riding in 10 minutes.

z

1 - 9 of 9 Posts