SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really sure if I want to sell it or not, but figured I'd see what I'd be able to get for it.

2008 KTM 690 SMC (USA)
  • Owned it since day 1 (back in June 2008), with 0 miles.
  • 12,000 miles
  • Detailed service record with dates, mileage, and service(s) performed.
  • Was in one (slow) accident. Got side swiped by a car at about 15mph. Very minor damage, performed under insurance and by KTM dealer.
  • Bike works with no issues (just needs a new chain I think, because it's gotten a bit twitchy/jerky).
  • No mods other than the 2-wire mod. Mirrors and passenger foot rests not available.

·
Registered
823 Posts
It blue books at $5775, but I'd guess you could get $6500, maybe $7K for it. 690's seem to be more in demand lately since dealer supply has dried up and they aren't imported anymore.

You could always do a nationwide craigslist search and see what others are trying to get.

·
Registered
137 Posts
around my area ppl ask crazy prices for them

kbb and nada value is what i pay

but since their so rare you can ask w.e you want lol there would eventually be someone that pays

nada value is always lower than kbb for some reason
low - $4,020 - aver - $4,895
http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2008/KTM/690-SMC-653cc/Standard-Equipment

kbb
excellent - $5,775
http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail/2008/ktm/690-smc/232375/

i am actually in the market for one and dont plan on paying anything over $5,500 stock 6,000 with exhaust and some mods

·
Registered
823 Posts
You could probably call KBB what people wish they could get and Nadaguides what people actually get. That said, I'd agree that people can ask whatever they want for a 690 and eventually someone will pay.

I buy my bikes in the off season, preferably before christmas when there is snow on the ground here in the midwest.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You could probably call KBB what people wish they could get and Nadaguides what people actually get. That said, I'd agree that people can ask whatever they want for a 690 and eventually someone will pay.

I buy my bikes in the off season, preferably before christmas when there is snow on the ground here in the midwest.
YES!! lol same here

i got my 05 cbr 600RR for 3,200 with some good mods around november of 2009
if i search craigslist right now for an 05 RR their going for $4,500+++

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have noticed that asking prices seem rediculously high on most bikes right now.
I also notice they don't sell! People need to realize that the economy doesn't warrant people over-paying for vehicles that are actually depreciating rapidly.

Maybe it's all these TV shows like pickers depicting a false reality convincing people they are sitting on gold...I dunno:headscrat

I'm actually in the market for two bikes right now. An R1 for trackdays, and a 690 Duke (would consider a SMC though).

No shortage of first or second generation R1's advertized for $5- $6k which is rediculous when KBB has them at $3-$3,700 "excellent". Just because it is an R1 does not mean it's worth more than it's actual value!

Same with the 690 Duke. I've seen plenty of `08's listed for $8 - $8,700 when KBB has them listed for $6,100 "excellent".

I don't see people willing to pay more than KBB values for used cars, but for some reason people think everyone's willing to pay more than KBB values for bikes, especially in a bad economy.

·
Registered
859 Posts
People pay more because bikes are more of a passion, fun toy, and totally unpractical vs. the utility of a car/truck.

If you have the bike someone wants, chances are they are chomping at the bit, and have been staring at pictures of them for a while. When you are excited about owning something you'll tend to not be so "thrifty". If your price is within someones limits looking for that particular bike, especially if they are local without shipping hassles, then book value looses some relevance to the buyer.

Some people do though have the ability to wait it out regardless of how much they want one. some people are just much more patient and practical with their money than others. Me though, if I want a bike real bad and its near close to a reasonable price I'm buying and enjoying, not waiting around for the best deal to come around.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It blue books at $5775, but I'd guess you could get $6500, maybe $7K for it. 690's seem to be more in demand lately since dealer supply has dried up and they aren't imported anymore.

You could always do a nationwide craigslist search and see what others are trying to get.
I had originally listed it as $7690. Didn't receive any emails (other than 1, presumably spam email). I lowered it to $6900. I'll see if I get any bites. I'm not really WANTING to sell it, I just figured since I only put a couple thousand miles on it each season, I'm not riding it as much as I used to. So if I just kept the money, I'd be able to just get something in a couple years if I still wanted to. I love riding, but for some reason this season I haven't had the ambition to hop on and go.

But it might make more financial sense to just keep the bike, considering after fees, the loan (with interest), I paid a total of $11,500 for the bike. I'm not hurting for money...I've just been on a recent "savings" kick.

Here's the listing: http://binghamton.craigslist.org/mcy/3053351365.html

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had originally listed it as $7690. Didn't receive any emails (other than 1, presumably spam email). I lowered it to $6900. I'll see if I get any bites. I'm not really WANTING to sell it, I just figured since I only put a couple thousand miles on it each season, I'm not riding it as much as I used to. So if I just kept the money, I'd be able to just get something in a couple years if I still wanted to. I love riding, but for some reason this season I haven't had the ambition to hop on and go.

But it might make more financial sense to just keep the bike, considering after fees, the loan (with interest), I paid a total of $11,500 for the bike. I'm not hurting for money...I've just been on a recent "savings" kick.

Here's the listing: http://binghamton.craigslist.org/mcy/3053351365.html
stock, bit high miles for 08,and in accident and you still asking higher than kbb?

not trying to be rude and like i said before some would might eventually pay that just because they really want it.

but i think thats crazy

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've bought a few 690's and sold one recently and don't think Your price is crazy at all. I personally wouldn't pay that much but someone will eventually pay $6900 or very close to it. 690's aren't easy to come by and as long as you advertise it well someone who really wants one will pay for it.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Well to put things in a little perspective, I paid $4K for my '07 690 and all it needed was new tires and a little cleanup. Mine's a beaker. (I like the beak) But like I said, I bought it way out of season. Seriously, the difference between summer and winter can be up to $2K on a normal priced bike.

Right now, yeah that '08 690 is worth about $6500.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think it's worth between $6000 and $6500. You can't get a new one so that helps (there may be some left overs but no 12's). I bought an 08 just under 1 year ago for $6200 in California with 8700 miles on it. It came with Wings exhaust, wind screen, tail tidy, sliders, 2 extra complete sets of plastic and all stock parts that were removed and some extra bits and pieces. I've since put 6000 miles on it but out here If I were to list it I think it would go for right about what I bought it for even with the current 14,700 miles.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
There's an 08 w 2000 miles in philly for $7,000.
An 09 with 1200 miles in St Augustine for $7250 with an fmf pipe.

12,000 miles and needs a new chain (and sprockets) and no mods or upgrades. Also needs $85 dollars worth of mirrors. Then you have a bike that costs the same more or less than the low mile ones.

A bike that will be needing cam follower bearings, a timing chain, or an engine rebuild 10,000 miles before the other two.

I think you could get $5,000-$5,750, maybe $6,250 if you're lucky.

Hey, you asked. . .

·
Registered
368 Posts
you'll get $6900. if accident wasnt too bad... miles kind of high... :headscrat
but you got the supply & demand thing in your favor.

·
Registered
290 Posts
There's an 08 w 2000 miles in philly for $7,000.
An 09 with 1200 miles in St Augustine for $7250 with an fmf pipe.

12,000 miles and needs a new chain (and sprockets) and no mods or upgrades. Also needs $85 dollars worth of mirrors. Then you have a bike that costs the same more or less than the low mile ones.

A bike that will be needing cam follower bearings, a timing chain, or an engine rebuild 10,000 miles before the other two.

I think you could get $5,000-$5,750, maybe $6,250 if you're lucky.

Hey, you asked. . .
Hey im only 50 miles from St Augustine! Hummmm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts