SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of selling my DRZ after this season possibly and was gonna pick up a KTM 525exc to ride off road and buy an SM wheelset for my on-road duties. My question is, how much better is an SMR at being a motard vs. a converted EXC? Is the front caliper "that" much better? Suspension?

It would be real easy to convert am SMR for street use here in Ohio; kick start would suck but I see they make a electric start kit for it.

So I guess my question is, would I be better off keeping the DRZ for offroad duties and picking up an SMR vs. selling the DRZ and picking up an EXC, but have to buy the SM wheelsets, 320 conversion, etc?

Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
89 Posts
One huge difference that you will want to keep in mind is that the EXC will have a different transmission than the SMR. The SMR will have shorter or a closer ratio gears as opposed to the EXC.

I think that it basically comes down to what your going to use it for more. Do you want a bike made for the road that you can take to the trails, or do you want an Endro that you can use on the road.

Also the EXC would be better for "cruising" down the road. I use that term lightly because we all know you wont be just cruising. If you wanted to do that you would be thinking about getting a harley.

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After reading about the SMR; I don't think it is for me. What is the deal with the LC4 SMC's? Obviously heavier than both the SMR and EXC, but much less maintenance; how is the horsepower. I think a piped DRZ puts out around 35hp and weighs ~300 pounds. So would it be a significant upgrade power wise?

I am now thinking of picking up an SMC for street duty and selling the DRZ. Then getting a cheap 2 smoke for my offroad riding.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I dare you to buy a KTM. You wont regret it. It seems like alot of people are selling 625 LC4's to get the newwer 690's so you might be able to get a good deal on one. I have ridden both 400sm's and 625's and you can really tell the difference. See if you cant track one down and you will see what i mean. They only way you really know is to ride one. Also try posting this in the Suzuki tab and see what the people say so you dont get a bias pole.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
My 625 smc has 57hp at 330lbs wet. I love it. It vibrates alot, handles awesome, wouldn't want to tour or do 200 mile days, but love to play on it.

They come very restricted, you need to open it up to let it breathe. Mine has Akro pipe, rally cam, slipper clutch, welded crank. Very reliable, low maintenence. I like it alot more than a 2001 drz400s that I had.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts