SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m looking at both a 2012 and 2014 smr 450 for street riding. One is carbureted and one is injected. Obviously injection is ideal from a few stand points but I’d just like to get your take on what will make a better, more reliable, BETTER smr for street riding. Thanks in advance boys

·
Registered
14 Posts
The 2012 was twin cam engine not the most reliable, 2014 is a much better engine and bike all round imo. Are they both proper smr though or converted bikes? Show us some pics :)

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
The 2012 is a guy on here selling. Has a ca street title.

I don't know about the rf4 not being reliable in the 2012. Ktm used that motor from 07 to 12 and I've owned 2 of them. My 2012 was a fantastic bike. I've never heard of issues like rfs motors. The 2014 is a uni cam motor with efi. I wouldn't say one is miles better than the other. You can swap side panels and radiator shrouds and make them look the same. I will say that most of the bikes when they went from carb to efi lost some power. Ktm did a pretty good job with their setup. I think you'd be happy on either setup.

Keep in mind if either is running a 16.5 front rim you won't find any street tires that I am aware of. Only slicks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The 2012 is a guy on here selling. Has a ca street title.

I don't know about the rf4 not being reliable in the 2012. Ktm used that motor from 07 to 12 and I've owned 2 of them. My 2012 was a fantastic bike. I've never heard of issues like rfs motors. The 2014 is a uni cam motor with efi. I wouldn't say one is miles better than the other. You can swap side panels and radiator shrouds and make them look the same. I will say that most of the bikes when they went from carb to efi lost some power. Ktm did a pretty good job with their setup. I think you'd be happy on either setup.

Keep in mind if either is running a 16.5 front rim you won't find any street tires that I am aware of. Only slicks.
To be fair the 16.5 is a good point with the tires there for road riding.
Obviously any bike can have its issues but almost all of my mates who had the twin cams had serious engine problems, mostly oil starvation. But I mean it's a single cylinder highly sprung race bike getting thrashed everywhere so it's hardly an easy life is it haha.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah the 2014 looks like a genuine smr and some nice extra parts too. Id definitely take that one :)
The 2014 posted here is actually a 2013 (it was my old bike) I kept the 2012 because the carb’d bike hot so much harder and was IMO way snappier and quicker than my 13 seen here. I owned both at the same time. Never had issues with either, the 16.5 front is a pain though and didn’t like the tube’d wheels particularly..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts