SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I have ever ridden is my DRZ. Kicking around selling it and was curious how much better the brake setups (caliper and master cylinder) are on a stock SMR/ SMC/ or Husky SM than an offroad bike that you just throw a big disk on?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Huge, the stock brake on any husky smr is amazing. No comparison to any dirt bike caliper with a big rotor upgrade.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats not good... I have been putting so many miles on my DRZ on the road with the SM setup vs. offroad that it is making me think I want a true SM. I just don't know how much fun I am missing and was curious.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Who has the best stock brakes? SMC, SMR, Husky SM? How do these compare to the high dollar aftermarket kits?

·
Registered
305 Posts
My ktm has the 4 piston caliper and the radial master cylinder. The front on a dirt bike is only 2 piston and a little master. The rears are about the same..The 320 rotor is better but the 4 piston caliper with the 320 is above that..

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have a stock DRZ 400 S and a KTM 450 SMR. There is no comparison. The DRZ brakes are adequate on the street but the 6 piston Beringer on the KTM un effing believable. Riding the KTM on the street I will zing past my usual braking points I use on a street bike. I start thinking, Man I should have been on the brakes a long time ago as I approach the corner. Then I give a quick team rocker 2 finger jab and have to get back on the gas as I approach my apex. An upgrade is defintely worth the ducketts.

·
Registered
448 Posts
i've got an '07 KTM 450 SMR that comes with radial 4 pot caliper and SS line....

i've also got an '00 YZ426 with a 320 rotor on it an adapter bracket and SS line.

on the street, I notice NO difference.... they're about the same.

I took the YZ to a road track, and by mid day i had warped the HELL out of my EBC 320 rotor... with only 2 pots on the left side of the caliper, it was heating one side more than the other and warped it like a dinner plate. Not a pulsing warped, but warped inward, evenly.

I doubt the 4 pot on the KTM will do this as it should apply equal pressure to both sides of the rotor and generate equal heat.

But for just general stoppies etc, the dirtbike brakes worked great.... 15+ min of racing all out slowing from 80mph to 30 all the time (tight track) and the dirtbike caliper gives.

the SS line is a necessity though! for any brake system!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I took the YZ to a road track, and by mid day i had warped the HELL out of my EBC 320 rotor... with only 2 pots on the left side of the caliper, it was heating one side more than the other and warped it like a dinner plate. Not a pulsing warped, but warped inward, evenly.

I doubt the 4 pot on the KTM will do this as it should apply equal pressure to both sides of the rotor and generate equal heat.
they should BOTH apply equal pressure.

if you're not using both sides of the 2 pot caliper, you need to clean and lube the slider pins.. its not sliding easily enough.

·
Registered
448 Posts
riiight... so maybe i worded that wrong. the caliper was maintained properly (by me) so i guess what i was trying to get across is there's less heat dissipation on the non-piston side... so, as it heats up, one side heats up faster than the other, causing the rotor to warp. As one side heats up more than the other, there's a differential in friction as well...

so i definitely misspoke about the pressure, but not about the heat.

sorry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts