SuperMoto Junkie banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bought a brand new er6, and I've been riding that quite a bit more than the bmw...

Welcome to the club Mr. F, the er-6n is a blast. I bought a totalled one last March, then I sold my Versys. I love these Kawi paralell twins. The er-6 seems to rev faster than the Versys up top, but the Versys had a stouter bottom end. If you want to see what it looks like with the side panels removed and the radiator resivour relocated, check out my bikepics page. Too bad you don't live closer, we seem to like the same bikes.

http://www.bikepics.com/members/versysrider/

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I bought a brand new er6, and I've been riding that quite a bit more than the bmw...

Welcome to the club Mr. F, the er-6n is a blast. I bought a totalled one last March, then I sold my Versys. I love these Kawi paralell twins. The er-6 seems to rev faster than the Versys up top, but the Versys had a stouter bottom end. If you want to see what it looks like with the side panels removed and the radiator resivour relocated, check out my bikepics page. Too bad you don't live closer, we seem to like the same bikes.

http://www.bikepics.com/members/versysrider/
Right on man, I just took it in the garage and started taking it apart, doing a 636 front end swap and working on getting the machined hub to run the zx6 rear wheel. I just added "remove 'fairings' and relocate coolant reservoir" to the list :thumbup:

Are you still using the stock bars? I bought a pair of protaper risers from cycle gear and threw the bars that originally came on the beamer. I love MX bars on this bike..

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sounds sweet, I've been contemplating the front end swap as well. When I first bought the er-6 I thought I might take the motor out of it and build my ultimate 'tard, that being something with good power, lighter than the xmoto, all day comfortable(few vibes) and virtually no maintainence. Once I started riding it though it felt so different (sportier) than my versys that I just kept on riding it. After about three months I ended up selling my versys. One day I would still love to build a 'tard around that motor.

Yes: I am still using the stock bars on both bikes, even though I have always felt the xmoto bars are a little low for my tastes. sounds like a good idea switching them out.

By the way I relocated my turn signals from the side panels which were damaged to the running lights on either side of the headlight, as it was free and took little time.

Please keep me posted (send a link to your build, if you have one) let me know of any obstacles in said build, and for crying out loud: I MUST SEE PICS, SOON.
good luck, Dave

Right on man, I just took it in the garage and started taking it apart, doing a 636 front end swap and working on getting the machined hub to run the zx6 rear wheel. I just added "remove 'fairings' and relocate coolant reservoir" to the list :thumbup:

Are you still using the stock bars? I bought a pair of protaper risers from cycle gear and threw the bars that originally came on the beamer. I love MX bars on this bike..

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Sounds sweet, I've been contemplating the front end swap as well. When I first bought the er-6 I thought I might take the motor out of it and build my ultimate 'tard, that being something with good power, lighter than the xmoto, all day comfortable(few vibes) and virtually no maintainence. Once I started riding it though it felt so different (sportier) than my versys that I just kept on riding it. After about three months I ended up selling my versys. One day I would still love to build a 'tard around that motor.

Yes: I am still using the stock bars on both bikes, even though I have always felt the xmoto bars are a little low for my tastes. sounds like a good idea switching them out.

By the way I relocated my turn signals from the side panels which were damaged to the running lights on either side of the headlight, as it was free and took little time.

Please keep me posted (send a link to your build, if you have one) let me know of any obstacles in said build, and for crying out loud: I MUST SEE PICS, SOON.
good luck, Dave
I really liked the feel of the er6 the first time I rode it, it's not unlike the superduke I test rode before it, except it lacks the power of the superduke (obviously) still a fun bike, Maintenance and repair bills will be significantly cheaper which was a big factor. The bars could definitely be an inch or two higher, I may end up buying that stunter upper triple that allows the use of bars, those things are set much higher than the stock er6 riser height. We'll see though, wheels come in tomorrow. Just need to figure out what to do about a shock now, thinking I might try the 09 r1 shock.

And effing brilliant idea on the turn signal, I was thinking I may ditch the headlight but after removing the bulky plastic trim around it, it looks a lot better. Might go as far as hacking off the mounting tabs for the headlight trim.

I'll post something once I get into it more. :thumbup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not brilliant: Just free, and easy. Thats the kind of guy I am.

Any progress on the build?

I really liked the feel of the er6 the first time I rode it, it's not unlike the superduke I test rode before it, except it lacks the power of the superduke (obviously) still a fun bike, Maintenance and repair bills will be significantly cheaper which was a big factor. The bars could definitely be an inch or two higher, I may end up buying that stunter upper triple that allows the use of bars, those things are set much higher than the stock er6 riser height. We'll see though, wheels come in tomorrow. Just need to figure out what to do about a shock now, thinking I might try the 09 r1 shock.

And effing brilliant idea on the turn signal, I was thinking I may ditch the headlight but after removing the bulky plastic trim around it, it looks a lot better. Might go as far as hacking off the mounting tabs for the headlight trim.

I'll post something once I get into it more. :thumbup:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Bubbles?

So i went for a ride the other day and something just didn't seem right. The exhaust sounded different and power felt a little lacking in the higher rpms, but It would still pull wheelies no problem and cruise at 75 on the highway. I checked it over when i got back and the only thing I noticed was bubbles in the oil. Just wondering if that is normal because of the oil moving between the engine and resevoir or if there is something wrong like maybe a head gasket or piston rings. I guess the next thing to do is a compression test to see if that reveals anything.

·
Registered
552 Posts
So i've been searching online and have found many cases where people have the small bubbles in this kind of engine and say it is normal operation of the oil system. I still think something feels different about the bike so i'm gonna change the oil this weekend and check everything over again, if i don't see anything wrong screw it i'm back on the road. I've already missed 3 or 4 nice riding days which just kills me when there could be a week in between them this time of year.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Not brilliant: Just free, and easy. Thats the kind of guy I am.

Any progress on the build?
Hey man I'm all about being free and easy... :thumbup:

Yeah I guess you could say there was a little bit of progress. I went in to the dealer a few days ago on my 29th birthday and traded it in for a 2010 R1 :lol:

I couldn't do it anymore, I need something that isn't going to buzz me on the freeway, I already have the motard that does that, the er6 was supposed to be the solution. I must be honest though I do sort of miss it already.

Now the front end swap and zx6 rear wheel conversion are just taking up space in my carriage house.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
So i went for a ride the other day and something just didn't seem right. The exhaust sounded different and power felt a little lacking in the higher rpms, but It would still pull wheelies no problem and cruise at 75 on the highway. I checked it over when i got back and the only thing I noticed was bubbles in the oil. Just wondering if that is normal because of the oil moving between the engine and resevoir or if there is something wrong like maybe a head gasket or piston rings. I guess the next thing to do is a compression test to see if that reveals anything.
So i've been searching online and have found many cases where people have the small bubbles in this kind of engine and say it is normal operation of the oil system. I still think something feels different about the bike so i'm gonna change the oil this weekend and check everything over again, if i don't see anything wrong screw it i'm back on the road. I've already missed 3 or 4 nice riding days which just kills me when there could be a week in between them this time of year.

First of all as you've read oil aeration is completely normal. How often do you do your oil changes? I've always done both oil and filter at 3k even though 6k is suggested. I'm about 3800 miles on the current oil change and I'm actually experiencing the same thing. For me I think it's the weather change because it's died on me when I pull in the clutch the first time, the last few times I've taken it out. That's kind of a common thing when the humidity levels and air temperatures have changed severely from the last ride.

Do the compression test, but also find someone with a bore scope and have a look inside. For what it's worth I'm approaching 16k miles, and I spend a lot of time in the high rev range and I can still see crosshatches on the cylinder walls. I doubt that it's a mechanical failure, as there's guys that have put 80k+ miles on these rotax motors, but more likely the weather change.

I wish I knew the procedure for properly resetting the ECU, because right now when it starts acting strange I will just disconnect the battery, put the key in the on position in an attempt to completely discharge the ECU and leave it disconnected overnight. The following day I'll hook it all back up, start it up and let it idle until the fan kicks on before I start riding. Seems to alleviate the problem. Also it only seems to start acting this way when the weather changes from cold to hot, it LOVES the hot to cold weather change.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks Mr.F
I do my oil changes around 2500/3000 miles and right now im about at the 2500 mark but its also been close to a year so im gonna do that this weekend, I have the oil and filter anyway. I also think the weather could be part of it. One thing i was thinking about was the exhaust, i keep thinking it sounds different. I have the remus titanium and it says it doesn't need repacking but when i look inside it seems like there is packing material in there. What if i blew all the packing out and now there isn't enough backpressure. I have a baffle i can put in to see if it makes a difference. Oh yeah i just changed the plugs and reset the computer on tuesday (after this started) and it didn't seem to make any difference at all, i had the battery out overnight then let it idle till the fan came on. THe other thing is the valves could be getting out of spec, I've just never done them on this bike and don't really know what I"m getting into. I checked them on my NX-250 but didn't have to adjust them so i didn't get any practice.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Thanks Mr.F
I do my oil changes around 2500/3000 miles and right now im about at the 2500 mark but its also been close to a year so im gonna do that this weekend, I have the oil and filter anyway. I also think the weather could be part of it. One thing i was thinking about was the exhaust, i keep thinking it sounds different. I have the remus titanium and it says it doesn't need repacking but when i look inside it seems like there is packing material in there. What if i blew all the packing out and now there isn't enough backpressure. I have a baffle i can put in to see if it makes a difference. Oh yeah i just changed the plugs and reset the computer on tuesday (after this started) and it didn't seem to make any difference at all, i had the battery out overnight then let it idle till the fan came on. THe other thing is the valves could be getting out of spec, I've just never done them on this bike and don't really know what I"m getting into. I checked them on my NX-250 but didn't have to adjust them so i didn't get any practice.
It's late so I'm keepin' it short but sweet.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=364035161831410699#

Goodnight!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks a lot MR. F that makes me a lot more confident in doing it myself, I knew i could do it i just got worried when i found out i had to take the cams out. That ziptie trick is great though that will make it so much easier. And seeing the shim setup was good too, since i have never seen that setup in person. Now that I just put it all back together from the spark plugs:headshake

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Thanks a lot MR. F that makes me a lot more confident in doing it myself, I knew i could do it i just got worried when i found out i had to take the cams out. That ziptie trick is great though that will make it so much easier. And seeing the shim setup was good too, since i have never seen that setup in person. Now that I just put it all back together from the spark plugs:headshake
So did you take a crack at it yet?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I did a bunch of stuff but in the end it was the muffler. I changed the plugs, oil, greased everything and it still seemed off, so i decided to open up my remus and repack it on wednesday night. (mind you they claim it is a reflection type muffler that never needs repacking) Well when i finally got into it i found packing material that was all blown out in the body of the pipe (LIARS!) so i just got an fmf 4 stoke kit and repacked it, i also painted the end cap black while i was at it. Low and behold it sounds right and feels right again, must have lost backpressure and had less torque or something.

I meant to post up but i wanted to ride it a few days to see.

Also i just got a new pirelli mt60r front tire this morning that i'll put on this weekend. I had a distanzia that lasted me about 10k, should have gotten one sooner, and it was great but i wanted something different and i thought this would provide more grip offroad.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Glad you got it sorted out :thumbup:

Might have to check mine, I've noticed some hiccups here and there. Last time it was the o2 sensor, but I don't think that's the problem this time. I'll check the muffler packing. Other than that, I'm rolling up on 16k miles :D

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
156xx miles (i know, I've been coming up on 16k miles FOREVER, I need to ride it more...)

Turned the bike off to gas up, and the fucker wouldn't kick back on. Thought it was the battery but the battery was fine until I killed it trying to crank the bike. After getting the bike home and putting the battery on a charger the bike started up. Went out for a ride the following day, did about 50 miles, nothing crazy. Came home and turned it off, tried to start it and it did the same thing, just turned over. It did backfire a couple of times.

Since I'm coming up on 16k I'm going to go ahead and tear her down. I know a lot of folks over on advrider have mentioned they have had similar problems, and have discovered that the idle actuator is getting gummed up from ethanol fuels. I haven't cleaned any of that in about 10k miles. Not sure if the valves are out of spec or anything, but I'll find out soon enough.

·
Registered
13 Posts
just over 10,000 miles, bike is a lot of fun and would be perfect without electrical gremlins. Riding, come to stop light while waiting for green bike dies and won't even turn over. After getting tow home realize fuel pump is not pumping? Did testing and the 1 wire responsible for fuel pump to pump fuel would "zero out" on test meter. The wire showed power but when connector plugged in the wire would show zero (no power) took it to 2 different BMW dealer for warranty fix but they could not fix and told me it was my fault for modifying bike. (notice - BMW service sucks big time). Ended up running new power wire from same fuse B to fuel pump to get bike to work. Also noticed the radiator fan stopped working too, it works fine when power is run directly from battery but bike won't turn it on, dummy light still works so I know when it's over heating but fan won't kick on, noticed fuel pump and fan share same fuse and same ground but both checked out fine? Also noticed as "chelman" said that left blinker comes on sporadically when WOT riding hard? Bike would be the most fun if it worked correctly all the time or if a BMW dealer in Calif. would actually fix rather then blame!!! Anyone with any ideas of how to fix please help, if it actually fixes the bike I'll have a new hero :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Damn, I found a pretty good deal on a used X-Moto with low miles but after reading this thread maybe I'll pass.. :headscrat

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
My problem turned out to be the battery. The idle actuator was fine.

backyardorganics, check your wire harness. There's a known short in the wiring that runs the fan. It rubs against the frame through the sleeve and into the wires. I just tore mine down and found a couple of spots where the wire harness was rubbing near the front of the tank around the fuses, but nothing that's bad enough to wear through. I'll see if I can find the discussion over on adv.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Big Mike
Damn, I found a pretty good deal on a used X-Moto with low miles but after reading this thread maybe I'll pass.
Don't get me wrong the g650x is one of, if not the most fun bike owned, It's great around town handles short stints on the freeway fine, is an absolute blast on the twisties and i can still hit the trails and get nice jumps in, all in a kind of gentleman sort of way. Of course if it just had a couple more things it would be perfect for me. I would say my issue seems mostly specific to my vehicle but I'm not sure. What kind of "pretty good deal" did you get?

Mr.F
My problem turned out to be the battery. The idle actuator was fine.

backyardorganics, check your wire harness.
Yea i checked it and did some testing but nothing solved. Double checked the harness where it bends under the frame/subframe by the fuse box and nothing seemed obvious I still think its the wire harness however sometimes it seems like the ECU might also be the culprit.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts