SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well May is almost here, and the warranty on my xmoto is about to run out. I've got under 9k miles and It's already been in for a few abs problems, failed fuel level sensor, faulty O2 sensor, busted rear shock, and now my water pump gasket leaks. Unfortunately BMW does not offer an extended warranty for this bike, and we all know after market warranties are more useless than a football bat. So I'm wondering what kind of problems any of you have had, or are having and how many miles you've got stacked up on your g650. Trying to decide if I want to keep it and personally finance any possible repairs, or move on to something with a warranty. :thumbup:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Just ticked over 7k on sunday. I bought the bike from Max BMW in NH as a demo with 400 miles on it and they said that the instrument cluster was replaced and put in a new battery. Since then it has been perfect, i changed the oil and filter every 2500 or 3000 miles and switched to synthetic for the last one. Nothing makes me think this bike wont last for a long long time.

My warranty runs out this summer and i thought about going in to have it checked over for anything i may have missed and to check for trouble codes, This way if they find anything i can still catch it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey quirk thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure my most recent problem is from bolts vibrating loose, whenever I noticed the leak I checked a couple of the bolts around the water pump assembly and on the clutch cover, and they where fairly loose.. not free spinning, but certainly not torqued down. Yeah I'm not very comfortable with the 6k mile oil change interval so I do mine every 3k as well. I also switched to synthetic oil at 6k, made shifting a whole hell of a lot easier. I know the rotax engine is extremely reliable, I'm just more or less worried about everything around it.

I love this bike, would absolutely hate to get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone else? I know Quirk and I aren't the only people here that ride these things. Please post up your mileage and any problems. Thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well May is almost here, and the warranty on my xmoto is about to run out. I've got under 9k miles and It's already been in for a few abs problems, failed fuel level sensor, faulty O2 sensor, busted rear shock, and now my water pump gasket leaks. Unfortunately BMW does not offer an extended warranty for this bike, and we all know after market warranties are more useless than a football bat. So I'm wondering what kind of problems any of you have had, or are having and how many miles you've got stacked up on your g650. Trying to decide if I want to keep it and personally finance any possible repairs, or move on to something with a warranty. :thumbup:
4,500 miles in a about a year. Had a stalling problem this winter, my dealer reset the Engine Management System to repair. Last 2 fillups low fuel warning light has come on early, got it on record with my service manager in case it happens after warranty runs out. Also 1 blown fork seal, which is'nt a warranty item, but repaired under warranty. At that time I had them put 15 weight oil in the fork, and replaced the oil in the other myself (stock weight is 7.5). Handles much better now (way firmer, less dive). Anyone had a valve out of spec. yet ? I've read a couple of places about not needing valves checked till 20k mi. I've also read about these rotax motors going 60-70k mi. with nothing other than normal maintainence.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had my valves checked at 6k, going to do it again at 12k, then as I understand it's only necessary every 12k. My valves were not out of spec. :thumbup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had my valves checked at 6k, going to do it again at 12k, then as I understand it's only necessary every 12k. My valves were not out of spec. :thumbup:
Good to know, thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have no intention of parting with mine any time soon, it's not the lightest or fastest of the breed but for me it is has been the most enjoyable motorcycle I have owned. I have developed a real trust in it and ride it everywhere, 400+ mile days on more than one occasion. 42 years of riding and still getting faster.........

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree it's a great bike, hopefully these problems I've been having are a fluke, and it will be smooth sailing for the next 10k miles.

·
Registered
552 Posts
8500 miles, just put a new rear tire on on friday. I got about 6000 out of a 150/60r17 distanzia, front still has plenty of tread left. Still no problems, just need to change the plugs and get a new chain and sprockets for upkeep.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Xmotard

Thanks Quirk for updating, and reminding me that I need to swap my plugs. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
So Mr. F ... did you decide to keep the xmoto? And if so how's the riding out of warranty going so far? Any issues? Btw nice paint job on the bike!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So Mr. F ... did you decide to keep the xmoto? And if so how's the riding out of warranty going so far? Any issues? Btw nice paint job on the bike!
Thanks, I did get my hands on a service manual for it, so I have decided to keep it since I can do all the work myself now. No issues so far, if this rain would stop here in Texas I could get some more riding in but as it sits, it's a few hundred miles away from 12k miles. :thumbup:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I can tell you guys one thing for sure. Either you dont ride them enough or they are just solid bikes. And since I work on Bmw Motorcycles for a living I can tell you I hardly see the 650 fleet in the shop.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I had a lot if rear wheel/bearing issues on my X Challenge when I had it. Sold it because I wanted something smaller, but generally pretty reliable. I know we sell extended warranties at MAX that are pretty decent if youre interested

1 - 20 of 83 Posts