SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Pikes Peak I want to lighten this bike up.

Here is what I am doing:
Titanium Pipe
Remove Headlight and other controls such as speedo
Marchesinis front and rear.

What else could I do...

Smog stuff...etc

ideas?

·
Registered
569 Posts
there is a thread on the smog stuff further down....

remove turn signals, mirrors, front fender, speedo/pod stuff, etc...not much left that will add up to much to give it the extra speed

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
I don't think there's much else you can ditch, you've allready got all the obvious stuff covered which should allready garantee a substantial weight loss. keeping in mind that the fuel tank is quite big so you can save more weight by just filling it half way during the race, other than that I can't really think of much else.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Fuel

Do some trial runs and make sure you only have as much fuel as you will need.

So many times guys buy titanium this and carbob fiber that then fill the tank right to the top erasing all their high dollar weight savings.

Also ask yourself if you are packing around to many pounds

saving a couple pounds on a titanium exhaust is all fine and good unless you are packing an extra 20.

(i am currently packing a uneeded 20 lol)

I herd a old formula for bikes and quads that basicly said every 6 pounds of weight lost is like 1 horse power. Maybee not all that accurate but a good way of thinking.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I bought the KTM sidstand switch for the 990 Duke. I'm not sure it will work, but you really don't need it to bypass the switch.

What about ditching the airbox for KTM PN 75006111500. It's the airbox kit, for the 690 Duke/SM. Not sure it will fit. Anyone update Trachy if this will work or not? I'm not sure if the frame is different from the SMC to the SM/Duke.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wheels will be your biggest savings.....

Rotating weight is the best place to trim grams if you can do it.

How about an aluminum rear sprocket or I think they also make one with an alum. inner that has steel teeth.

JOHN

·
Registered
657 Posts
The factory aprilias are started initially on a standard battery and then once warmed up, they switch over to a really tiny battery. The small battery will start the bike but not when it is cold. They have some weird quick change thing to allow easy battery switches. It is a male and female connecter, two pieces with both leads, the positive and negative.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Braketech makes a ceramic rotor that is 65 percent lighter than steel or iron. they have very wide range of temp , even streeteable unlike carbon carbon. you could save over a pound and a half over your current rotor. May need to machine up an adapter. you should call them and explain your situation and see if they want to be aprt of this thing. Steve

·
Registered
657 Posts
Krause racing markets what they call a titanium mx chain, not sure which parts of it are titanium, but they claim it is the lightest on the market. It is not cheap but is not unreasonable I believe they also make titanium rear rotors for the big 4 mx bikes. maybe they could be adapted.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Titanium rear springs are available for a 60 plus percentage weight reduction. expensive but are listed in the hard parts catalog for other ktms.

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Krause racing markets what they call a titanium mx chain, not sure which parts of it are titanium, but they claim it is the lightest on the market. It is not cheap but is not unreasonable I believe they also make titanium rear rotors for the big 4 mx bikes. maybe they could be adapted.
isn't that going a bit crazy, and expensive to say the least for a rather small weight reduction?

@ trachy, probably should have asked this from the start but how far do you want to take it to save weight, is it literaly a question of saving every possible gram no matter the cost or do you just want to come up with ditching a decent amount of weight without going completely crazy?

·
Registered
12 Posts
690SMC gearing

I know this has nothing to do with shaving weight, but I’ve got about 400 miles on my SMC now and I love this bike! No problems whatsoever, but the gearing feels wrong for street riding / canyon carving / running from the law. My thoughts right now are to drop 1 tooth off the front and add 2 or 3 teeth to the back. Anybody care to share your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
657 Posts
The chains are in the 150 dollar range, not unreasonable. It is rotational weight and it will make a difference. As I said the best bang for the buck is a small battery, the smallest that will do the job. Also check your lower gas tank/ subframe bolts. they are probably loose already. If the tank, seat,rear fender and rider falls off the thing will be really light, but ....

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
I know this has nothing to do with shaving weight, but I’ve got about 400 miles on my SMC now and I love this bike! No problems whatsoever, but the gearing feels wrong for street riding / canyon carving / running from the law. My thoughts right now are to drop 1 tooth off the front and add 2 or 3 teeth to the back. Anybody care to share your thoughts on this?
I wasn't just on about that particular post, I was also looking at the Ti spring and rotors. ;) you gotte admit they are pretty pricey options that probably won't result in a lot in the end. then again the wheels and pipe are also very pricey but I do think those items will add to a real considerabel difference.

if trachy's planning on going all out and money is no object then don't mind my earlier remarks :D

·
Registered
599 Posts
the muffler is the biggest weight saving the the first one to go.

other than that the wheels MAYBE. I don't know how much the stock wheels AND TUBES weight.

the next thing you can lose is weight from your own body.

or take a riding class or two. this will have the BIGGEST effect on your speed.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.