SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Motards,

It took me a sec but I found a cheap way to get rid of those bug eye looking rear turn signals and replace them with just one sexy R1 tail light w/ integrated turn signals. Total cost: $35.

***Disclaimer: My iphone sucks at close up shots. Please forgive the fuzziness.

Tools Needed:

- Ratchet Set
- Electrical Tape
- Philips Screw Driver
- Wire Stripper (or your teeth)
- Baby Flat Head Screw Driver

Time Needed:

- 30-60min

STEP ONE

Order an '02 YZF R1 Tail Light. I bought mine from Russell at moto-tuner.com. On the website, they sell it for over $60. I bought it through their ebay site for $35. Russell says he has a bunch of them so if you cant find it on ebay, just call him. Here's the ebay link: '02 YZF R1 Tail Light

STEP TWO

Wait to receive the light in the mail. haha

Step Three

Disconnect your battery and remove your entire tail light ensemble. First thing you're going to notice is the fact that the colors for the wires on the R1 Light are completely different from the OEM light. Dont panic. I figured it out. Here's what you'll see:

OEM Wire Set Up

YZF R1 Set Up (plus two independent wires, blue and yellow, that I forgot to include in the picture)

STEP FOUR

Disassemble the connector on the R1 Tail Light using a baby flat head screw driver. There are tiny plastic latches inside the connector that hold each wire in place. Be careful not to snap them. When you're done removing all the wires from the connector, it should look like this:

STEP FIVE

Reconnect the R1 Wires to match the OEM set up.

OEM__________R1

BLUE_________WHITE
YELLOW_______RED
BLACK________BLACK

Picture below (OEM set up on right):

STEP SIX

There should be two wires left to deal with (blue and yellow) on your R1 tail light. These are your left (yellow) and right (blue) turn signals. You have two options here: 1) order an OEM Turn Signal Connector Set from Brooks at 12 O'Clock Labs. 2) Cut the connectors from your OEM Light. I used option two (didnt feel like waiting).

R1 Yellow goes into OEM Grey:

I couldnt get the wire end out of this one so I just did this:

****Notice that I left the black (ground) alone. You do not need it. The turn signal wires for the R1 share the same ground running from the main tail light.

Add a little Electrical Tape to clean it up:

STEP SEVEN

Repeat STEP SIX for the right (blue) turn signal. Your final set up should look like this:

STEP EIGHT

Connect your R1 to the OEM connectors on the bike! Reconnect the battery. Test the break/left/right/running lights.

STEP NINE

Re-Mount your light. Its up to you how you want to do it. I shaved down my mount quite a bit.

Final Product:

HECK YEAH!

TEST RUN VIDEO:

·
Registered
29 Posts
mirror tip, not mine originally

If you flip oem mirror upside down, i used left side..

you CAN see ALOT clearer, easier.

ones body gets in way on right side up mirror

1 - 4 of 4 Posts