SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was making my daily 1-hour+ commute I got to thinking..."wonder if there's anyone on smj that rides farther to work than me?"

• I ride 145 round trip each day to work.
  • It usually takes me 70 mins one way in the morning.
  • Most of it is on the freeway at 80 mph. The last 18 miles is surface street type riding that takes me 20 mins.

So, I ask...what do you do?
1. It must be on a bike.
2. Extra points if it's a supermoto bike. (I've done my commute a few times on my 610SM and it sucks.)
3. Name the bike you are riding! ( I ride a 1990 Suzuki VX800. 43 mpg! But still it's $16/day, ouch.)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Uhh, six stoplights in nineteen miles. Only five or six miles of that is more than one lane (in one direction).

My last commute took me twenty-five miles and nine stoplights. It also took me over one of the areas best supermoto twisties - wrang the snot of the 625 up and down that road for almost two years daily.

·
Registered
728 Posts
my commute to and from work is like 8 miles each way, so about 10 minutes or so each way. sometimes i take the more twisty way.... sometimes i take the simpler, quicker way.

with this bike i try to take the most twisty roads as often as possible.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
.48 miles one way......do I win? :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
It takes me 6 minutes to get to work

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use to on my now sold YZF1000R Thunderace. 55-60 mile round trip to work and back. Didn't matter if it was raining, hot or freezing. Even got caught in a couple of snow storms....that sucks on a sportbike lol. I actually went down in a big rain storm. Been through them lots of times. It was 5am and I was a mile from work. Down pour hit me. It hadn't rained in months....we were in a drought for a lonnnnng time before this down pour. Well, it brought all the oils up out of the road. I did what I normally do in a rain storm....slow it down and take my time. Had no problem for a minute or two and then the rear tire started to slide out and I was going side ways down the highway in a half lean type deal.....then I figured I didn't want to flip or high side so I put more weight on the right side. Laid it down real easy and the bike and I slid for a 100 feet skipping off the lake on the highway lol. just messed up the exhaust and frame slider...and me, nylon holster was scuffed up and the gear held up well so nothing else.

·
Registered
575 Posts
80 mile roundtrip almost all highway, I've done it quite a few times on my DR but its sucks so last fall I picked a beater Kawasaki Concours. I through as much of the winter as I could and haven't driven my truck to work unless I had to carry something big.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
did a couple of weeks commute 80mph highway 40 miles north... 80 mi round trip on the 610. it was fun. broke my speed record one day drafting downhill with the wind at my back... 103 mph!!! AHHAHAH and i think my bike had a little bit more.

but after two week stint my bike was DIRTY!!!

normally i ride everyday to school and to work locally approx 30mi a day.

there ya go 610 baby!!

Randal im jealous.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
20miles each way... i put 50miles on my bike a day, everyday.

bike is a Ducati 749.. not your typical daily driver, but it works out and is enjoyable most of the time. yes, it does suck in stopped traffic with full gear and the heat pouring off it. other then that.. its great.

·
Registered
165 Posts
65 miles each direction in the bay area. It's not an everyday event, since 130 miles in a day is painful. Did it all week this week and my ass is sore (DRZ400S -SM conversion).
Going home I do a single lane 2nd-3rd-4th gear road called Calaveras Rd -scares the piss out of me sometimes as once every few weeks I will run up into a car in the opposite direction driving very aggressively. Sometimes I can do this one stretch of road and not see a single car...(very strange for the bay area) but this road really adds to the total commute time -adds 1/2 hour for me which is why I usually only do it on the way home...
TMI?

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
2.2 miles, drz is ridden basically all year around. had it out in the snow last year

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
2.5 miles, I've only taken the SV. I was a bit worried about leaving my WR unlocked , no key, etc., but I don't think anyone could figure out how to start it.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
:thumbup: for all you guys commuting on bikes. With gas prices i have no choice, ive thrown down 7500 miles on my 650R in 10 months, this is including the winter months where i couldnt ride:rolleyes:

30 miles a day commute to school and back, but i put down 50-75 a day sometimes:D

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
:thumbup: for all you guys commuting on bikes. With gas prices i have no choice, ive thrown down 7500 miles on my 650R in 10 months, this is including the winter months where i couldnt ride:rolleyes:

30 miles a day commute to school and back, but i put down 50-75 a day sometimes:D
honestly, i started doing it before the gas price hike and all that drama....
and to be perfectly honest, i bearly noticed gas prices change...

im also far enough south, i can ride year round.. just wear winter gear and you're good. :thumbup:

·
Registered
849 Posts
9 miles one way all city and lights. I've been commuting everyday on the DRZ since October of 05 when I got it. Prior to that I used the ZX7 almost everyday. The truck only gets used for truck stuff.
I spend about $8 in gas every 9 days.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts