SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you get a tag for a yz450 ? wr450 ? cr450 ? etc...

I live in GA.

Anybody has some pointers ?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would do a search on here, or thumpertalk.
There was a thread talking about it somewhere.
Something about getting a title for a homebuilt bike. (like the choppers)
It has to be already wired with everything, including blinkers.

I would look, but I am at work.

·
Registered
228 Posts
jfman said:
How do you get a tag for a yz450 ? wr450 ? cr450 ? etc...

I live in GA.

Anybody has some pointers ?

let me know if you dive into this venture... i'd like to know the specific ins and outs for GA as well.

OT, but jfman as in jfboy from GSB?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
drifter said:
let me know if you dive into this venture... i'd like to know the specific ins and outs for GA as well.

OT, but jfman as in jfboy from GSB?

yeah that's me. I'm thinkg of building one from a yz450 or a wr450...

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
You can also mail order a plate to VT. I know a few guys who plated YZ450F that live in NY but send the forms out to VT. The only thing is that you have to register it as a 250

·
Registered
29 Posts
from what i've been told, you can put all the blinkers,lights,tires,etc. on and take it to the DMV with the current title and have it inspected. Then they will issue you a new street friendly title. I'm from ohio and this is what i'm gonna do if/when i get my '05 yz250f.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Jolly705 said:
You can also mail order a plate to VT. I know a few guys who plated YZ450F that live in NY but send the forms out to VT. The only thing is that you have to register it as a 250
Sorry man, but VT has some new rules. I called them a week ago to get a title for my DRZ125 to run around to the corner store on and they said it has to be a 300cc or bigger.

·
Registered
106 Posts
maine laws are easy, all you have to do is have is set up to pass all the state inspection laws to get a sticker. then play stupid and go into the dmv and register it as a motorcycle, when they pull the vin it will say 450cc motorcycle and there is no problem. thats how we do it in maine.

G

·
w00ht said:
Sorry man, but VT has some new rules. I called them a week ago to get a title for my DRZ125 to run around to the corner store on and they said it has to be a 300cc or bigger.
Bought my KLX650R (soon to be SM) from someone that had it registered in VT, the registration shows 250 like mentioned above. I called the DMV in VT and they sent me a paper showing that if the bike is 300cc or less then no title is required. This was about 3 weeks ago.

Lou.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ok, i'm curious as to how you can register a vehicle in another state than you live in?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Check with your DMV as to the minimum requirements for a bike to be street legal. For example, TN has to have a headlight, tail light with a brighter brake light visible from 50 ft. to the rear, and a left mirror. As long as it has that then you should be able to take it right to the DMV and have a street title issued. I don't think GA has any emissions laws.

·
Registered
124 Posts
the key is getting your certificate of origin that is is stamped off road use only converted to a title. that is when you run into problems here in jersey. enduro guys go through this every time they get a new jap bike here, cause you have to be registered and insured to run enduros. try checking the enduro websites for how guys go about doing it. alot of times you will have to speak directly to an individual because the enemy [dmv] monitor some sites to see how to stop us. good luck

·
Registered
228 Posts
well i know in GA the only requirements are the usual lighting/blinkers/brakelight and DOT approved tires. but the question is really can you just add the needed parts and go to an inspection or is it more complicated? i'm sure i wouldn't have too much trouble in the county i live in (Habersham) but some of the metro atlanta areas may be tougher to get by with that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anybody ever got an offroad bike titled thru the title bond process ?

I have done title bond on a few cars and bikes with lost titles... I'm thinking of trying this with a MX bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Texas Laws on converting a CR or KX 500...

Hello all,

New member here, nice site. I am thinking of buying a CR500 or KX500 for street riding in Texas. The thought of having Pilot Powers with 17" wheels on a dirt bike sounds so cool. I have been searching the Texas DOT site for info on registering, ect... but the way it's written, it's difficult to understand at best.

Does anyone here know what I need to do to register one in Texas and does it matter if it's a 2 stroke or not? I do have an 03 KX 250 that I had thought about registering but would rather register a 500 as top speeds are higher and less strain on the motor at 60 mph or so.

Thx for the help. :)

·
4,852 Posts
Welcome to the site Ghostrider. I am not sure of the laws in Texas, but I would think a 2smoker would be hard to get street legal anywhere. But it has been done. There are a few members in here from Texas, maybe they will know more. Enjoy the site.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'd think it'd be hard, if not nearly impossible, to tag any 2 stroke. Although it would be hella fun!

As far as my bike, it came from the factory 100% street legal and ready to roll. However, since I bought it out of state, I had to have it inspected before I could get it tagged. I would think, if you had a title for it, you could do the same. Take the bike and title to the nearest inspection station, and get it done. Have them give you the green form too, you'll need it. Take the green form, title, etc, to the DMV or Tax Assessor's office. They didn't ask my any questions about my bike, just took my money for taxes and the plates, and I walked out the door with them in hand.

I don't know if thats of any help to you, but good luck either way!

Arron

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Its just my thinking but ..... Do you really think the people at the DMV know the difference between a CR & a CRF? Its just a motorcycle to them on a piece of paper.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
UpstateSC-rider said:
Bought my KLX650R (soon to be SM) from someone that had it registered in VT, the registration shows 250 like mentioned above. I called the DMV in VT and they sent me a paper showing that if the bike is 300cc or less then no title is required. This was about 3 weeks ago.
Drat. The guy I was talking to must not have understood completele, or I didn't go about asking the right questions. So how do you get a plate for it? Thanks

owndjoo said:
ok, i'm curious as to how you can register a vehicle in another state than you live in?
Not just any other state but Vermont. Their residency restrictions are not in place for titling bikes. You take you VT title and get a title in the state you live in. I don't know hoe actually registering/plating in VT if you are out of state works though.

Anyone?

1 - 20 of 288 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.