SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride well into winter here and see morning temps as low as 20degF riding to work. Just wondering how long I should let the DRZ warm up on days like that since there is no temp gauge. I have the jetting dialed in so it never needs the choke no matter how cold it is. Always starts before I even get the starter button pushed all the way in. Also, what specific damage is done from running a motor too cold? Thanks.

·
Registered
496 Posts
on cold days with mine, i usually give about 3-5 min. sitting at idle. mine is very cold natured at first, and if you try to give throttle input before its ready, it will stall. everybody has their own preference on how they do their warm up. but i would give it about 5 min to get everything warmed up and ready to go.:thumbup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
it's warm enough as soon as it will run cleanly, with or without choke.. If it's flaming out (choke off) or needs FULL choke to stay running, give it another minute or 2. If you can pull away cleanly, it's warm enough.

·
Registered
593 Posts
take your hand and just touch the side of the cylinder and head, if its hot your ready to go. my bike will pull away cleanly right when i fire it up with 0 warm up so this is what i do

·
Registered
300 Posts
take your hand and just touch the side of the cylinder and head, if its hot your ready to go. my bike will pull away cleanly right when i fire it up with 0 warm up so this is what i do
Agreed. Mine is exactly the same.

·
Registered
742 Posts
In cold weather, I'd fire it up and hold my hand to the head and keep it there. It'll tell you when to take your hand off....ouch. When the hand comes off the head, it goes in the glove and off you go!

Man, I can't wait for my parts to come in and Fang to be back up!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I just walk up and fire up the bike and start putting on my bandana on my face and my helmet on. I keep a glove off and wait until I feel some heat coming out of the exhaust gas from the pipe before I'll pull away.

·
Registered
65 Posts
does the drz have a thermostat?

mine has a vapor and takes atleast 5 minutes to come up around 120 degrees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts