SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, finally got a plated dirt bike again after being absent from the supermoto scene for nearly 3 years. Its a 93 KTM 300 EXC 2 stroker that is California plated and while I know its a bit old compared to the bikes I used to have, it was plate back in the 90s which makes it grandfathered in and can keep its plates forever. Here in CA is almost unheard of to have a plated 2 stroke because of our insanely strict DMV laws.

I plan on updating the entire bike to 2005 spec (I love KTM for being able to do that, plus for a 93 its quite a modern design as almost all parts swap over), new subframe, 05 plastics and tank, etc... I'm planing on keeping the front suspension the same as it has the 43mm (?) upside down forks, and the PO gave me 2 sets so I can set one up for SM and keep one for Dirt.

So to my question, I would much prefere to use SMR Behr wheels then aftermarker (warp 9, etc..) from the research I have done, the rear wheel should fit as far as axles at least, but would anyone know the 17x5" wheel would clear the swing arm?

Second questions, is that I believe that I have 17mm axels in the front, whereas the SMR wheels has 26mm (?). Is there some kind of adapter or spacer kit that I can use to make the SMR wheel work with my current front suspension?

Thanks in advance, and heres a pic of bringing it home the other night. So stoked to get back on a moto again, especially one as fun as this is gonna be! :D

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Bad ass bike man! that will be a crazy fun street legal tard.

Yes they do make a spacer kit, they sell them at the ktm shops, you can order one threw them, i tried to find it online with no luck, went to the shop and they knew exactly what i was talking about. it was like $25

Next thing is, do you know anyone with a lathe? a few of the pieces in the spacer kit had to be slightly modified to fit perfect.

I used smr wheels on a 625 that had the 20mm front when i needed the 26mm, not 100% sure if they make a 17 to 26mm?

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
no kit available.

only way you can make it work is go custom which means making your own spacers and changing wheel bearings. you can't even be sure if it will work. will depend on the hub width of your bike wether or not will accept the smr wheels.

the easiest option would simply be to take your stock hubs and relace them with 17 inch rims.

btw, I've seen 2000 bikes being updated with more recent plastics but I have my doubts that they'll bolt onto a '90's model. do you know for a fact that it'll work or is it more a hunch?

buddy of mine just got a hold of a '91 300 exc and asked me if I could help him fix it up. probably not going to turn it into a supermoto but if more recent bodywork could be made to fit that would be a nice project as well.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Haha yep still kickin, and ok sounds good

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no kit available.

only way you can make it work is go custom which means making your own spacers and changing wheel bearings. you can't even be sure if it will work. will depend on the hub width of your bike wether or not will accept the smr wheels.

the easiest option would simply be to take your stock hubs and relace them with 17 inch rims.

btw, I've seen 2000 bikes being updated with more recent plastics but I have my doubts that they'll bolt onto a '90's model. do you know for a fact that it'll work or is it more a hunch?

buddy of mine just got a hold of a '91 300 exc and asked me if I could help him fix it up. probably not going to turn it into a supermoto but if more recent bodywork could be made to fit that would be a nice project as well.
91's I cant say for sure as they are even a bit more different then the 93-97

heres a 93 with only the plastics updated, still original tank and original subframe, maybe a few new hole drilled, but I doubt it will be very challanging.

and here one with the tank, subframe and airbox updated to 05 spec:

As far as wheels, I may just do that, relace, I can pick up a used front hub for next to nothing on ebay.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, just ordered $420 worth of parts, basically a whole new bike body.

05 orange EXC tank - $125 used off ebay
05 all White plastics kit - $75 used off ebay
05 all white OEM graphics kit - $110 from cyclehut
05 black airbox covers - $40 from cyclehut
07 XCW "slim" seat - $70 from ebay

The bike already came with 08 headlights and fender, and old 93 tails, still gotta get a blinker set..

As for the wheels, I found some guy on ADV Rider that makes spacer kits going from 26mm wheel to 17mm axles.

Should be all pieced together within the next few weeks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts