SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a member of this site for years and have been dreaming of buying a sumo and I finally bought a 2011 husky 630 SMS!!!!!

Just picked it up and unfortunately, they did not have an owner's manual at the dealer. Can anyone tell me what the manual recommends as far as breaking in the bike goes and when I need to take it in for it's first service?

I've waited a long time to get this bike and I don't want to F it up!

Thanks!

R

·
Registered
425 Posts
My recommendation on breaking in an engine: with any modern motorcycle, as long as you warm the engine up to full operating temperature, ride it like you stole it. It probably already has been by the dealer who did the pre-delivery test ride.

First service is probably recommended at 500-600 miles / 800-1000kms. It's never too early to do the first oil change.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I can upload the manual for you I you want. Or you could search the various Husqvarna sites, maybe it's already online :)

Here the breaking in part from the manual:

"INSTRUCTIONS FOR RUNNING-IN
The exclusivity of the design, coupled to the high quality
of the materials used and the accuracy of the assembly,
guarantee the higher comfort right from the start.
However, when running for the first 1500 Km., SCRUPULOUSLY
follow the rules mentioned herebelow. Please
note that FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THESE RULES MAY
COMPROMISE THE LIFE AND THE PERFORMANCE OF THE
MOTORCYCLE:
- warm up the engine by running at low revs before using
the motorcycle;
- avoid quick starts and never rev up the engine when in
low gear;
- ride at low speed until the engine is warmed up;
- apply both brakes several times to settle the pads and
the discs;
- do not maintain the same speed for a long time;
- do not ride for a long time without stopping;
- NEVER drive downhill with GEARBOX IN NEUTRAL, but
shift into gear to brake with the engine if necessary,
thus preventing the fast wear of the brake pads."

Just start slow and with more and more miles drive it more aggressive. Make sure to not be too gentle with the engine or breaking in will only take longer than normal and the bike might not reach its full capabilities. You don't have to sissy it until reaching 1500km like the manual suggests :thumbup:
(Oh yeah a lot of people have A LOT of different opinions on breaking in.. so have fun reading all the hundreths of threads if you want.. :lol: )

Edit: first service is 1000km

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice!

So far I put about 30 miles on it. I have been keeping it between about 2000 and 5000 rpm. I've been sticking to around that much because I don't know what the redline is. The dealer said I'd be okay as long as I don't bounce it off the redline.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My recommendation on breaking in an engine: with any modern motorcycle, as long as you warm the engine up to full operating temperature, ride it like you stole it. It probably already has been by the dealer who did the pre-delivery test ride.

First service is probably recommended at 500-600 miles / 800-1000kms. It's never too early to do the first oil change.
assuming the fact it wasn't from a dealer that just put it on a crate to ship it to someone (without proper checks and maintenance)...

id recommend checking every nut and bolt before you ride out for the first few hundred miles as well as all liquid levels, then let her warm up nice and slow and keep her in the sub 5000 rpm range for the first ~ 250 miles, just to be sure, better save then sorry.. thats how i broke mine in at least.

·
Registered
9,673 Posts

Plus one :thumbup:..and change the oil every 2 K max after that...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks for the advice!

So far I put about 30 miles on it. I have been keeping it between about 2000 and 5000 rpm. I've been sticking to around that much because I don't know what the redline is. The dealer said I'd be okay as long as I don't bounce it off the redline.
Redline is 8500 rpm I think. And do what hitman said. On mine the screws of the brakes loosened at the beginning :headscrat

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What about fuel? I was going to assume it needs premium octane fuel.

So much basic info in the manual....I feel dumb asking these questions...but thanks for the replies, guys!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
102 Posts
honestly man i never look at my speedo box unless i see a cop. just listen to n feel the bike. youll know when the motor is bout to redline.:bannana:

·
Registered
190 Posts
honestly man i never look at my speedo box unless i see a cop. just listen to n feel the bike. youll know when the motor is bout to redline.:bannana:
Pretty much this :thumbup:

Fuel? Don't know.. I use 95 and 98 octane E5.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks for info. I'm picking mine up from dealer on Wednesday if all goes well. Bike is paid for, I just need to go get it. I do have the manual though, just haven't looked at it yet. Last several bikes I had were broken in the hard way, and ran great, made good power too.
Gradually loading up the motor, not riding too long at the same RPM, and increasing the load as you ride more and more over 200-300 miles, then change oil. Another oil change at 600 miles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have always done the break it in hard method and it has worked for me.

i rode the bike home getting on and off the gas hard.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rocko,

Where in San Diego are you? I have a 2008 610SM.
North Park!

So far break in is going well, except for yesterday I ran over a screw so my rear tire is flat :(

·
Registered
190 Posts
North Park!

So far break in is going well, except for yesterday I ran over a screw so my rear tire is flat :(
I already killed two or three tubes on my 630 because of screws and stuff like that... conclusion: less riding in construction zones :lol: (or I should change my tyres before they become complete slicks :anim_peep: )

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I already killed two or three tubes on my 630 because of screws and stuff like that... conclusion: less riding in construction zones :lol: (or I should change my tyres before they become complete slicks :anim_peep: )
So did you buy new tires or did you just plug the holes in the tires? Here the dealers don't want to plug the tires, they want me to buy a new tire!

·
Registered
190 Posts
So did you buy new tires or did you just plug the holes in the tires? Here the dealers don't want to plug the tires, they want me to buy a new tire!
Well two of the tyres were dead anyway. As for the other one, I just changed the tube. Or rather I let the dealer do this, because by no means is it possible to get those freakin tyres of the rim :headshake :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts