SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally have my big red pig running strong on 17's. The supension is pretty scary though. Big brake dives, and it feels like you sit up high on a pogo bike. When measuring, the bars and the seat are the same height as the DRZ I'm used to. The bike is really unstable during hard braking and entering corners.

How do you guys recommend stiffening and slowing down the suspension? Can I use a cut plastic pipe as a fork preloader? If so, how much preload is good for a pure street tard and 170lb rider?

cheers

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
The easiest way is to go to a heavier for oil. New springs specific to you and your bike are a HUGE help, as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Get a fork brace also! I switched to 50mm WP extreme forks, and have NO fork flex on braking. I haven't tried the fork brace, but I've been told they help on the big XRs pretty well.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have the SRC fork brace, which is a great improvement for the bike.
My suspension is still very sloppy though, so in the next few weeks, I'm planning on changing the springs to match my weight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you havent removed the Honda Nasty Toxic waist in the front forks, it is a MUST. This stuff is commonly called Whale snot and it looks like it. It will also rust losts of internal parts of the forks if not changed out. I went to a 7.5 weight oil in the front and have the bottom adjustment set on one click from full soft. Its a big improvement getting the stock Honda (Whale Snot) out of there. I will tell you this. Im mostly off road and just got my Motard set up put on the bike. I havent really tested out the new stuff yet so...........but for off road I saw a nice improvement in the front forks after the oil change out.

Hayden

·
Registered
581 Posts
suspension? Can I use a cut plastic pipe as a fork preloader? If so, how much preload is good for a pure street tard and 170lb rider?
Don't just ad a spacer.It wil give you way to much preload => terrible tankslappers on high speed esp. on rough surface :eek: Been there ,done that. Killed myself almost twice like this in the past . Slapper @ 95 and one on 130km/h . From steering stop to steering stop... :rolleyes2:

Cut your springs (after calculating) and add a custom spacer

http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=332656

Or add a Twinchamber Showa or an nice reworked CR unit and never look back. :thumbup:

A+ on the forkoil and the brace...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts