SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always loved the Honda XR's and even before I could drive a car I wanted one. A little more than 10 years later, I'm done with college, I landed a good job, and now is the time for more toys. I bought my Yamaha R6 that I absolutely love (I missed my FZR600 so I had to get another street bike), and a month later I got a XR250R, and a month after that I bought a super nice, low mile (2,XXX miles), one owner, meticulously maintained XR250L for a really great price.

But enough of the background info, here's the plan. I love bikes, dirt, street, and now supermotos too after reading about them. I love things that are "different" too. I wanted to build a XR250L into a supermoto bike without paying more than I paid for the entire bike itself. After a lot of research and reading here through the forums I signed up and am going to describe how I'll be going about this. Maybe I can do this as a How-To budget build article too sometime.

The 17" wheel and tire kits are sooooooooooo expensive, and more than I paid for the bike, so that's out of the question. I didn't want to dump a fortune into a 1990's bike and I didn't want to do anything that was permanent that couldn't be undone. This post was extremely helpful and I actually got the front wheel and spokes from a Supermotojunkie member.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?58851-Re-lace-front-hub-with-a-stock-18-quot-rear-rim

So here's the rundown:

-I bought the front wheel from a Supermotojunkie member which is an early 1980's CR250 rear wheel (36 spokes, 18"x2.15") that was powder coated gloss black with a set of Buchanan stainless steel spokes. I will be lacing that up to my stock XR250 front hub. I will save the stock front wheel and spokes in a box if I ever decide to put it back to stock form.

-I thought about using the stock rear wheel which I believe is 18"x1.85" or 18"x2.15" but then I thought that it might be a bit too narrow for a 130 rear tire. Plus I want the rear wheel to be powder coated gloss black to match the front, so I didn't want to have that done to the stock rim just because if I ever want to put it back in stock form. I ended up getting a great deal on a Moose 18"x2.5" 32 spoke rear wheel, which I will have powder coated in gloss black. Two reasons that I chose the Moose rear wheel is that 1) I've heard great things about them and the aluminum that they use. 2) I didn't want to use an Excel wheel because they use larger diameter spokes and nipples (4mm or maybe larger I believe) and they would not be able to be fitted onto my stock rear XR250L (cush drive) hub unless the spoke holes were drilled out. And I didn't want to do that because as I mentioned previously, in case I ever put it back to stock form. The Moose rim allows you to use OEM or Moose brand spokes. I'll probably get some new ones since I'm taking it apart anyways.

So now I have all of my wheel and tire situation taken care. After riding my XR250R around the yard and being shaken all up with the stock steel handlebars, I decided that a nice set of Renthal aluminum bars for the XR250L were a must have. I scored a nice set for a good price with some Acerbis hand guards on them. Hopefully these will help keep the vibration down compared to the stock steel ones.

Next up is body work. All of the stock decals are coming off because I love a clean look. I also love the color white on bikes, cars, and trucks. I am going to do the bike up in black and white with a silver frame and polished stainless spokes. I've got a Cycra front supermoto fender on the way and I'm going to get a black seat cover. I want to do a MX style rear fender with a LED taillight and turnsignals that will mount under it, but I'm not sure what route to go for the fender as of now. I know Maier makes a MX style rear fender for the 88-95 XR250, but it's kind of pricey and a bit bulky looking. I heard people swap fenders but I don't know what will fit so if anyone knows I'd appreciate the input. I'll be swapping out the headlight and shroud with a sleeker Acerbis unit or something along those lines.

As the performance goes, the XR250L is tuned down compared to the XR250L for emissions. The guy I bought it from did everything to change the performance of this bike, and he used it more for the street than the dirt. He put on the larger XR250R header and pipe, a Mikuni flat slide carb on it, the Wiseco 280 Big Bore kit, K&N air filter, stiffer fork springs, and a stiffer rear spring. That's just fine for me since I'm not a super big guy (around 5'11" 165lbs) and it'll move along well.

I've spent a lot of time on here and ThumperTalk and I just wanted to thank everyone for posting all their useful information on here. I wouldn't have been able to even think about beginning this project without you guys. I'll be posting many more pictures as the project progresses. I'm starting it next weekend and I have many of my parts being shipped in as I type this. I think this is going to be a fun little project and it'll be an extremely nimble, and extremely durable little bike. Plus it'll be very unique and it'll be a blast to ride to bike nights and still be able to carve up the canyons. Now I have some questions for everyone (I'll probably have many more along the way of the build).

-Do I use an inner tube when I mount tubeless street tires on my spoke wheels?

-Do I need to have the tires and wheels balanced?

-Does anyone know any other rear MX style fenders that would fit a 88-95 XR250?

The bike as it sits now:

A little drawing that I did in MS Paint of how it will look when I'm done. If this is your bike, thank you for posting the picture.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why even switch out rims if you dont want to spend money?
Get a good set of road tires to fit and install a big front rotor
I already have the 18" rims ordered and they weren't very expensive at all. I just want to build this on a budget. If I install a larger front rotor how do I relocate the caliper to work with it? Thanks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You buy the caliper bracket with the rotor.
Most any fender can be made to fit.
I just ordered a CRF450 rear fender for my 85 XR350

PS - that's the Meier rear on my bike now, if you want it PM me.

This is a 130/90/17 on the stock 2.15 rear. No problem.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Jpswift1

Q: Do I use an inner tube when I mount tubeless street tires on my spoke wheels?
A: Yes use tubes If you buy radial tires then buy tubes made for radials.

Q: Do I need to have the tires and wheels balanced?
A:No I use "Ride On Tire Sealant" (it also balances the tire) In the 17s on my 93
XR250L. I have 2000 miles on the supermoto set up and the bike tops out at 86mph no shakes or wobbles.

Q: Does anyone know any other rear MX style fenders that would fit a 88-95 XR250?
A: http://www.maier-mfg.com/catalog/honda-xr250-xr650l-mx-style-rear-fender

Maier Honda XR250L MX Style Rear Fender Part # 12305 $54.19 do some searching and you can probably find it a little cheaper.

Q: Where can I get a rotor and caliper bracket for a mid 90's XR250L? It seems like most aftermarket parts are for the '96 and newer XRs.
A: The EBC 280mm rotor kit for 96 up xr250r bolts right on the XR250L. In fact allot of the parts from the 96 up xr250r fit the XR250L with little or no modification. If you have any questions about certain parts that fit, let me know and I'll see if I can help.

"I didn't want to use an Excel wheel because they use larger diameter spokes and nipples (4mm or maybe larger I believe) and they would not be able to be fitted onto my stock rear XR250L (cush drive) hub unless the spoke holes were drilled out."

Not true I have Excel hoops laced on stock XR250L (cush drive) hubs.

"it'll be very unique"

You will have a unique bike but not the only sumo-ed XR250L. I'll work on posting some pics of mine.

SumoPsycho

·
Registered
608 Posts
Wow, thanks for that post, it was a huge help. I'd love to see some pics of your XR250L, so if you get a chance to post them that would be great.:D

Not a problem Its good to see someone else tarding a XR250L. Just let me know if you have any other questions. I don't know it all but I road the bike in dual-sport trim for two years and just put the 17s on a few months ago and modded it here and there in between so I do know a little about them.

I was going to take some pics of the little L today but the wife had the camera in her car. I'll get some and post em as soon as I can.

Here is the part number for the EBC 280mm kit I put on my bike #OS 6001.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks again for the info. I found the brake kit for $148 and some change shipped. I think I'm going to get it up and riding in supermoto trim and see how the stock rotor works, then I'll most likely upgrade it a couple months down the road. I really think this is going to be a fun little bike and something really cool to bring to bike night.

What tire sizes are you running on your 250? How does it handle as a supermoto compared to when it was a dual sport?

·
Registered
608 Posts
That's a good price on the 280 kit. I suggest starting with stainless steel brake lines first, do some searching and you should be able to get both of them for under $100 shipped.
I used ones for the 96 up xr250r they fit right on, the front is a little longer and the rear you cant use the rear line holder on the swing arm.

What tire sizes are you running on your 250? How does it handle as a supermoto compared to when it was a dual sport?
I'm running Avon Distanzias 120/70-17SM and 150/60-17SM that's the biggest you can go without rubbing.
It corners like a rabbit on the street and dose all right in the dirt with the Distanzias, it dose sucks in the deep soft sand which isn't a problem as its my daily commuter.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I also found a EBC 320 mm disc brake kit, which is $40 more. Is the 320mm really worth the extra $40?
The 280mm is definitely a improvement over stock, but I wish I would have went with the 320mm. With the street tires on I find my self entering the corners faster and I think the extra stopping power of the 320mm would be a welcome addition.

Like I said before start with SS lines first, they improve the feel of the brakes allot. I put the SS lines on while still running the stock wheels and brakes, the SS lines made a big difference in the performance of the brakes especially the rear. I think the 17 year old line had deteriorated causing the braking to suffer. I'm also running a Tusk stainless steel wave rotor on the rear now with the 17s.

Where did you find the 320mm for that price?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not a problem Its good to see someone else tarding a XR250L. Just let me know if you have any other questions. I don't know it all but I road the bike in dual-sport trim for two years and just put the 17s on a few months ago and modded it here and there in between so I do know a little about them.

I was going to take some pics of the little L today but the wife had the camera in her car. I'll get some and post em as soon as I can.

Here is the part number for the EBC 280mm kit I put on my bike #OS 6001.
Hey guys, I'm tarding my xr250L as well. Any pics yet? I'd love input on where you got all your plastics.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'd love input on where you got all your plastics.
Maier USA sells the fenders, the side panels are only available used I painted mine.
The XR650L headlight faring is the same and comes in red and white
The 87 XL250R also uses the same headlight faring but only came in white.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK it's about time for me to finally get some pics up. I've got it all torn down to the bare frame now. I was originally just going to take the motor out and spray paint the frame silver, but I decided that I'm going to do it all the right way and spend a little bit extra time and money on it.......the bike is in really great shape and it deserves the royal treatment.

I have some more pics from the initial tear down that I'll be getting up from my camera soon.

One last shot before the tear down.

You can see how nice the swingarm is all cleaned up and degreased.......I'm going to be doing this to all the parts and I'm going to have the frame powdercoated silver. No corners will be cut on this build!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh and by the way, here's the list of mods:

-Wiseco 280 big bore kit.
-Mikuni flat slide carb
-Progressive brand performance springs all around
-Cobra exhaust
-XR250R header, welds all ground down
-K&N filter and the "XR airbox mod"
-Emission components removed (shhhhhh!)
-Maier rear MX style fender
-EBC 320mm front full floating rotor
-Galfer braided stainless steel brake lines, front and rear
-RK 520 O ring chain
-Sidewinder sprockets
-18" Moose rims with stainless steel Buchanan spokes all around
-Bridgestone BT45 110/80/18 up front, and Avon AM26 130/70/18 on the back (both V-rated tires)
-Renthal aluminum handlebars with Acerbis hand guards.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've been making a lot of progress on my build and most of the parts that I ordered are coming in. I've also been painting some of the smaller parts while I'm waiting on the frame to get powder coated. So far so good......I'm really getting excited to see this bike come together!

I also got the dents in the tank filled in and the decals removed, so next up the tank will be getting a fresh coat of white paint.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.