SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, so yesterday i was riding my honda FMX 650 to work as always and she died on me. at first i tough it went on reserve but when i pulled over and tried she did not start. ive been noticing the oil level has been higher then it shoud for a couple of days be but i did not have the time to take care of it. The strange thing about it is each time i tried to start her in that day she would die on me and the oil level would start rising, reaching the top of the tank at the 5th try or so. ive looked for anyone with the same problem but cant find it. Even more strange is that when i called for the trailer to take her to the shop, in the morning of the next day when they picked her up she started rigth away. Does anyone else have a clue what it migth be. I have the bike for 2 months now and really enjoy it, would hate to see her fail on me so soon,.... Well i apreciate any help and drive safe.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
sounds like you have a leaky carb float and the engine is filling up with gas

·
Registered
161 Posts
The carb float is a possibility as far as the rising oil level , but not the not starting. Also these motors have a check valve in the oil pump to keep the oil in the tank when the motor is off and sooner or later they start leaking. When the check valve leaks it lets the oil tank drain down , the owner often adds oil to the bike thinking it's low , even though it's actually got plenty of oil in it , but it has drained down into the sump. To avoid over filling , always check the oil hot and immediately after shutting off the motor. The CDIs in these are notorious for dying and giving intermittent spark , a new one will usually last no longer than the original and the cheap Chinese CDIs are usually just as bad. I've got an Ignitech programmable CDI , Ignitech.cz is their site. Great product and even their standard preloaded map will give you a performance boost , it really is plug and play and can be altered for more if you've got a modded motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The carb float is a possibility as far as the rising oil level , but not the not starting. Also these motors have a check valve in the oil pump to keep the oil in the tank when the motor is off and sooner or later they start leaking. When the check valve leaks it lets the oil tank drain down , the owner often adds oil to the bike thinking it's low , even though it's actually got plenty of oil in it , but it has drained down into the sump. To avoid over filling , always check the oil hot and immediately after shutting off the motor. The CDIs in these are notorious for dying and giving intermittent spark , a new one will usually last no longer than the original and the cheap Chinese CDIs are usually just as bad. I've got an Ignitech programmable CDI , Ignitech.cz is their site. Great product and even their standard preloaded map will give you a performance boost , it really is plug and play and can be altered for more if you've got a modded motor.
The thing is i had the oil and filter chaged 2 moths ago and i did not add up anymore oil cause it was always showing over the limit and i always checked after a decent drive...

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
excessive gas in oil can cause hot start problems: once the engine warms up, the gas starts vaporizing and leaves the engine through the crankcase vent, into the airbox, resulting in way more fuel than the bike wants

not really a problem when running, but let it sit for a while and it won't want to start

1 - 6 of 6 Posts