SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is with great happiness that i open a new topic because i changed my bike :D. Finally I bought the bike i ever wanted (Honda CRF450X).
The bike was bought with the idea to put in SM (never had a SM before and always wanted). Almost all the items i will put will be with the priority on performance/cyclist and trying to not get lose spending money on things that are not essential to the use that will give.
The restoration of the bike will go through two phases:
  • Phase 1 is the one i will fix everything the bike need to be fixed and convert it to SM(wheels and front brake)
  • Phase 2 is the one i will focus on beauty, i will get new plastic kit and graphics, do some paintings ...

Phase 1

• Rim 17x3.5 Enszo Black
  • Rim 17x4.25 Enszo Black
  • Tire 120/70 R17 (58W) BT016F PRO
  • Tire 150/70 R17 (66W) BT016R PRO
  • Ignition key
  • Pro Taper Pillow Top MX Grips
  • Acerbis PHS EVOLUTION HANDLEBARS (i had from another old bike, maybe will be changed to a black fatbar)
  • Front Fender SM (still not decided wich)
  • From Disc Brake 320mm (NG DISC/EBC/Braking)
  • Steel line for front brake
  • Front Sprocket CHT 14T (stock is 13)
  • Rear Spreocket JT 42T (stock is 51)
  • Exhaust Silencer CRD
  • Used OEM header (mine is bent)
  • Radiator protection
  • Bicycle Computer Sigma BC 12.12
  • Fix the saddle
  • Plate light (led stripe)

Phase 2
  • Plastic Kit
  • Paint covers
  • Zinc bolts
  • Graphics Kit
  • USB plug
  • DRC rear light (i suppose is more bright then original)
  • Mod the wheels to tubeless

Here is some pics of the bike. I will update the restoration process and conversion to SM.
First day

Second day (already with some parts cleaned)

Hope you like it, any suggestions will be well received. :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
all of us crf450x guys coming out of the wood works ha.... just recently started my build thread as well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First day i been cleaning some parts of the bike that look bad.
The clutch cover was all scraped.

After some time invested in it i get it like this.

Now is like this.(not finished :D )

Kick start was too in bad shape and polished it.

I want to get a CRF450R 2005 exhaust but for the moment i have here a CRD that is in bad shape.

After a lot of time i get it like this (i didnt take the bents on it because i dont know if i will keep it).

On the motorcycle look like this.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some of the items already arrived and i started mounting them.
The front sprocket was 13 and now i get a 14.

Changed the handlebar too, but looks a little low, maybe will get a cheap black fat bar later.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d22/kaiserkaiser/My -CRF450X/CRF links 020_zpscjw23tqa.jpg
Another item that i love and is very handy to track when i am getting in the fuel reserve is the cycle computer, is cheap and have lots of functions. Maybe later i will try to get a Vapor but at the moment i am broke xD

Already in place and with new lights toggle too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yesterday i tried to polish some more things but was a little afraid to have too many chrome on a white supermoto. Later i will paint the engine covers in black or dark grey.
Here is a pic of the first test in the spot where the fuel tank covers. I liked the result and did in the rest.

The frame looked like this, the middle low part of the frame i will maybe cover with frame guards.

And with the fuel tank in. Looks good with the white plastics ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
also got one project of crf450x will post it later

Instead of buying a crf450x oem used header buy an used crf450r oem header, oem are made from titanium

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Instead of buying a crf450x oem used header buy an used crf450r oem header, oem are made from titanium
I thought about that, but a Honda dealer said me that is not compatible but i seen in the TT forum that was, i am a little confused. Whe you say the CRF450R is the one from 2005 only, right?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man that looks slick with the white plastics.
I was trying to put black rims but they are out of stock till October, so i will put chromed one and if i dont like i will power coated them. The white plastics make the bike look lighter :D.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some updates of the restoration process :D
Friday i removed all the bolts and nuts that i could to zinc plating them (almost 200 bolts), taked a lot of time because i measure them to know where are each one.

Saturday(today), i have been cleaning all the bike and polishing some more parts.
Before

After

Monday i think i will get the rims and tires. I still didnt decided if let the rims chrome or power coated them black.
The zinc plating only will be done in September because the plating business is on vacations :( .

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like you're off to a great start. I'm nearing the end my 06' 450R build.
I am starting and hope to finish soon. Your build was more complex, take much more time.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So i have good news and bad news :D.
Good news are that the rims and tires already arrived.

I already found the spokes to build the wheels. Now i need to paint the hubs, should i paint red or black, if red wich color code should i use?

The spoke nipples need to be zinc plated, they are goldish (right one) and i want them chrome (left one).

I already found someone who do personalized brake steel lines but still didnt decided wich color, if red, if black or transaparent. Suggestions would be appreciated.

I am going to paint the rear shock spring too, same problem, red? black or dark grey?

And now the bad news, for all the zinc plating i will need to wait till September because is when the business is open, so for now the bike is like this :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some news on the evolution of the project, last Friday i got my painted hubs and zinc plated nuts and bolts, Monday started building the bike.
Monday night i have been 4 hours sorting nuts and bolts and putting in place.

After that i been lacing the wheels till 03:00 AM :D
The begining

The finished wheel (colours are strange because of the camera and light)

This morning i finished the rear wheel, now i only need to adjust them. Resting in the fresh rubber :D

Tonight i have been putting a bunch of bolts and nuts in place and mounting the footpegs and sidestand.

Been cleaning some items too, the clamp in the pic is clean , the left side isnt.

·
Registered
491 Posts
maybe it's just optical confusion....but something looks amiss with the spoke spacing on the front rim. Might just be me.....:hmmm:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts