SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im dying to have a bike. im going off to college in August and id like to have a street legal bike. i know id be better off finding a 250x, BUT i have a chance to get a 250r for $2000. its an 08, and it looks all right. cheap because a family member picked it up off some government auction for 1750. is it worth my time and money to grab some lights and a speedo and what not? id start off with cheap stuff of course, just to get it legal.

·
Registered
330 Posts
So im dying to have a bike. im going off to college in August and id like to have a street legal bike. i know id be better off finding a 250x, BUT i have a chance to get a 250r for $2000. its an 08, and it looks all right. cheap because a family member picked it up off some government auction for 1750. is it worth my time and money to grab some lights and a speedo and what not? id start off with cheap stuff of course, just to get it legal.
Typically no. To make the R able to run lights you'll need a new stator and battery. That can add up quick. Also the R's gearing is a bit frantic for the streets, the x will be much more suitable for street riding. Then depending on what state your in you may or may not be able to get it past the DMV. Some states won't let you convert them to street use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Typically no. To make the R able to run lights you'll need a new stator and battery. That can add up quick. Also the R's gearing is a bit frantic for the streets, the x will be much more suitable for street riding. Then depending on what state your in you may or may not be able to get it past the DMV. Some states won't let you convert them to street use.
thanks man, ill toss the extra cash for the x. also im in texas... dont think it would be a problem, but not sure!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts