SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, given the choice between these two bikes in full sumo setup, which one do you think is a total winner on the track? comments please

·
Registered
330 Posts
The 150RBs are pretty tough to beat, and fairly easy to ride fast. That being said if you're a spectacular rider who knows 2 strokes I think the 85 can be faster. But overall the 150RB is the winner.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Choose the fun factor and get the 85!! :D

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I went to a kart track the other day I rode a CR150F. It was nice. It had the stock rims with different tires on it. I low sided, only because of the tire issue. I am looking into buying one soon.

What would be better 17's or 12's?

·
Registered
330 Posts
The answer is both. :)

Part of it is personal preference, another part is what kind of tracks are you running?

Longer tracks will benefit from the 17's vs the 12's. Moorepark? 17's there IMO.

The 150F is kind of an oddball, and I'll warn you that if you get into the mini's and want to race it, they really don't class well. Some organizations put you up into Supermini class with CR85's and CRF150R's. Typical seems to be limiting air cooled displacement to 130cc's (allows ttr-125's some room for bore cleanup).

Otherwise the 150F is a great platform. Cheap and ultra reliable with minimal maintenance.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
The answer is both. :)

Part of it is personal preference, another part is what kind of tracks are you running?

Longer tracks will benefit from the 17's vs the 12's. Moorepark? 17's there IMO.

The 150F is kind of an oddball, and I'll warn you that if you get into the mini's and want to race it, they really don't class well. Some organizations put you up into Supermini class with CR85's and CRF150R's. Typical seems to be limiting air cooled displacement to 130cc's (allows ttr-125's some room for bore cleanup).

Otherwise the 150F is a great platform. Cheap and ultra reliable with minimal maintenance.
Yea I'm talking about Moore Park. I got on Carl's 150, made 2 laps, then lost the rear in a lowside. He has one for sale. It has 17's on it. I was looking at either keeping the 17's or going to 12's.

I am sure a 450 can be rode fast on that track, but it's a lot of work. It should be fine once we can ride on the new pavement they put down last week.

I might go with a 85 or a 65. I def wanna buy a mini.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Isn't Carl selling his 150F? He said something about some motor issues but, it's an air cooled 150, couldn't be hard or cost much to do a rebuild.

I've tried bikes with the 12's and they are way too twitchy for me. Some folks love em though so take my opinion lightly. You really should try and ride on a set before you decide.

The 450's, on the tracks i've been on including MPR, are way too big and too hard to wrestle around the track.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to get back on topic, the discussion relates to comments regarding a comparison between the Honda CRF 150RB and the Honda CR85R.

If you are confused about the wheel sizes, the two bikes mentioned are of the large wheel version and the engine capacities of the bikes are self evident and are pretty obvious from the heading title.

If you want to discuss other things, start your own threads and leave this one to the more knowledgeable people, such as the first three posters, who have a higher level of comprehension as to what the title implies.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Are you a Mod or something? That was your 3rd post. Wheel size does matter along the same lines as which bike is better.

Don't be yourself....be nice.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Just to get back on topic, the discussion relates to comments regarding a comparison between the Honda CRF 150RB and the Honda CR85R.

If you are confused about the wheel sizes, the two bikes mentioned are of the large wheel version and the engine capacities of the bikes are self evident and are pretty obvious from the heading title.

If you want to discuss other things, start your own threads and leave this one to the more knowledgeable people, such as the first three posters, who have a higher level of comprehension as to what the title implies.

You got a couple answers already douchebag. Where you expecting a thesis on the subtle differences of the two bikes?

Perhaps you could start a new thread on how not to come across as a douchebag when posting on a forum you're new to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You got a couple answers already douchebag. Where you expecting a thesis on the subtle differences of the two bikes?

Perhaps you could start a new thread on how not to come across as a douchebag when posting on a forum you're new to.
Resorting to juvenile responses really does define who you are as a person.

If something as simple as a refocusing to a topic gets you all worked up in a tizzy that you resort to kindergarten name calling, I really pity those who spend time around your company. You really need to man up.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Resorting to juvenile responses really does define who you are as a person.

If something as simple as a refocusing to a topic gets you all worked up in a tizzy that you resort to kindergarten name calling, I really pity those who spend time around your company. You really need to man up.
Douchebaggary under the guise of intellegent writing is still douchebaggary. Thanks for the confimation.:clap:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Are you a Mod or something? That was your 3rd post. Wheel size does matter along the same lines as which bike is better.

Don't be yourself....be nice.
Well, the Honda CR85R does come in a small wheel version so I do stand corrected, thanks for pointing that out, but the Honda CRF150RB only comes in the large wheel version but I wanted a like for like comparison which in my case would be the big 17 wheel version only.

I mostly send PMs and deal with people on a one to one basis, posting like in this case is only for discussion only.

·
Registered
330 Posts
You gave the context of your question as "in full sumo setup". Starting with a big or small wheel version would typically be irrelevant as stock wheels wouldn't normally be used in a "full sumo setup".

The only other differences in the two are spring rates and an additional 1" of length for the swingarm.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I run the CR85 against quite a few 150R's. Im always losing ground coming out of a corner but once we are upright I can make some of it up. The 85 is definitely faster in a straight line but unfortunately most tracks have turns. LOL! All in all the 150R seems like the better way around but I still like them 2 strokes. Cheaper to buy and maintain by quite a bit and if you're roadracing it, you'll be just fine. point and shoot riding starts to amplify the issues inherent with a 2 stroke.

P.S. douchbaggery needs to be added to Websters dictionary. It's become a fairly common term and should be formally defined...:Funny:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Well, the Honda CR85R does come in a small wheel version so I do stand corrected, thanks for pointing that out, but the Honda CRF150RB only comes in the large wheel version but I wanted a like for like comparison which in my case would be the big 17 wheel version only.

I mostly send PMs and deal with people on a one to one basis, posting like in this case is only for discussion only.
According to Honda, the CRF150RB has a 19" front and 16" rear, same as the CR85R Expert. The 150R comes with a 17" front and 14" rear, just like the CR85. You will want to go with either 12" or 17" wheels, of which neither come on either the CR85R Expert or CRF150RB. Expect to have a discussion that revolves around wheels sizes and track layouts for a complete comparison.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I run the CR85 against quite a few 150R's. Im always losing ground coming out of a corner but once we are upright I can make some of it up. The 85 is definitely faster in a straight line but unfortunately most tracks have turns. LOL! All in all the 150R seems like the better way around but I still like them 2 strokes. Cheaper to buy and maintain by quite a bit and if you're roadracing it, you'll be just fine. point and shoot riding starts to amplify the issues inherent with a 2 stroke.

P.S. douchbaggery needs to be added to Websters dictionary. It's become a fairly common term and should be formally defined...:Funny:
Good stuff. I also have a soft spot for two strokes but the winds of change seem to be going the four stroke way for now at least, but it just might be a while before a total change to the fours, I hope.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts