SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
skate wheels, spacers, and threaded rod/washers/nuts. :thumbup:
^^This. My stock sliders on my DRZ pulled loose on the first fall off road. If they come loose now, I've got bigger problems as they are held in place with 3/8" all thread.

Make sure to get the hardest skate wheels you can find, I think mine are a 99A or something like that. Softer ones will get traction and could cause the bike to go tumbling instead of sliding.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
^^This. My stock sliders on my DRZ pulled loose on the first fall off road. If they come loose now, I've got bigger problems as they are held in place with 3/8" all thread.

Make sure to get the hardest skate wheels you can find, I think mine are a 99A or something like that. Softer ones will get traction and could cause the bike to go tumbling instead of sliding.
I was always worried about snapping the threaded rod but I've gone down on them a dozen times at least and they're holding up just fine.

Another thing that will help keep things nice and snug is to get some nylon lock nuts. Those things are awesome!

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you use a good stainless steel you should have no worries about snapping a rod ... Stainless is weak as far as tensile strength but but will bend strip and twist ... you will be cutting the rod off if you go down but will not snap like regular steel .
I usually us HDPE or Darlin type of plastic ... McMaster Carr is a good supplier for the raw materials .

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
As a side note, cutting boards make awesome boot sliders...
Ask Pucho Bagnis if I lie...

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
If you use a good stainless steel you should have no worries about snapping a rod ... Stainless is weak as far as tensile strength but but will bend strip and twist ... you will be cutting the rod off if you go down but will not snap like regular steel .
I usually us HDPE or Darlin type of plastic ... McMaster Carr is a good supplier for the raw materials .
+1 I bought my material there also.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I used 1/4" threaded rod with nylon lock nuts and fender washers that fit inside the skate board wheels. Built one side then used some hose I had left over from removing the emissions and slid it onto the rod before inserting it into the axle and attaching the other wheel. All from The Home Depot except the wheels I got at a local board shop.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I used 1/4" threaded rod with nylon lock nuts and fender washers that fit inside the skate board wheels. Built one side then used some hose I had left over from removing the emissions and slid it onto the rod before inserting it into the axle and attaching the other wheel. All from The Home Depot except the wheels I got at a local board shop.

Cool! Like that :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
You can also buy scrap delrin sheets or rods on ebay in just about any size and it's cheap too.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
That's a freaking brilliant idea!
One word of caution: it is freaking slippery when you walk around. :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts