SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was out cruising on my WR450 ( street Legal ) today,
pulled away from robot ( on flat staight road, good surface) pinning it all through the gears.
Soon as I went from 4th to 5th, hectic tank slap and before I know Im on the ground sliding at 70 +mph into oncoming cars!!
Miss them all somehow and eventually end up in pavement.
Nothing broken thank God! Lots of road rash all over even with good jacket.
Dam sore all over now. Gods where smiling on me today!
My question what cause that? and is there anything you can do to save it?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hard telling, not knowing. Too few details, something obviously happened though.

Glad you're alive, might as well post some pics :D

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
too little weight on the front with stock soft suspension. my YZ450 has a bit at those speeds little weight up front will do away with it in an instant. A steering damper may help coming down off a wheelie though.

z

·
Registered
240 Posts
my guess would be a wheelie landed slightly off, started a tankslapper, you tensed, and it kicked you off. If you weren't in a wheelie, then I guess it may have been too tight of a grip, too soft of suspension, or something along the lines of too rough of a gear change at too high of a speed.

Been there. When you get into a tankslapper the best thing you can do is nothing. Let go of the bars if you have to, but a really light grip is best, the trick seems to be to let the bike do what it is doing, without forcing it into something else. The bike will slowly calm down. Its difficult, but not impossible to catch a really crazy tankslapper. Thats my expierence anyway.

I used to joke with my friends that whenever my bike tankslaps, I let go of the bars and tell it "this is between you(the bike) and the road" as at that point I'm just along for the ride.

·
Registered
338 Posts
actually the best thing you can do if you still have time is to pin it and try to lift the front wheel off the ground, stopping the tank slap, but then your hauling ass probably into a turn.
the last time it happened to me was at summit point on the big track, just before you get back to the front straight there is a small hill you get light on. front end came up, then down tank slap, popped into a small wheelie, then late braked into the last turn.

·
Registered
240 Posts
True, I forgot about that. Pinning the throttle helps, the worst thing to do in a tankslap is to hit the brakes/engine brake. Still, fighting the bars won't help, that was more what I was trying to say.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thats sucks. I too have had burns thru leathers but just think if you had n't worn it! Heal up!

Oh and if you throttle out of or even get a slapper and save it make sure to pump the the brakes. The rotor can push the pads out. It can make ya ass pucker even more bombing into a turn with no brakes!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Did you hit a pothole? I tried to avoid one once, turned the handlebar to miss it and immediately went into a huge tank slapper. What I did when trying to turn away from it at the last second was upset the gyroscopic effect of the wheel. I should have seen it sooner, and if not, maybe just road through it. That one filled my drawers, but I didn’t go down. If I owned a bike that had a tendency to do that, I’d pay the five-hundred for the GPZ damper for sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hit the deck

Hi All
Thanks for feedback. Bike shocks been customized/set up for motard racing, surface was good, and no wheelie, thats why Im so surprised it happened so qucik.
Think it could have been changing too hard/fast?
Didnt know about the accelerating, but dam would have had to think fast to catch this one.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thats sucks. I too have had burns thru leathers but just think if you had n't worn it! Heal up!

Oh and if you throttle out of or even get a slapper and save it make sure to pump the the brakes. The rotor can push the pads out. It can make ya ass pucker even more bombing into a turn with no brakes!
+1

Exact same thing happened to my on my 00 R6. Was gunning to make a left at a traffic light. Hit some rough pavement while the front end was light, and the bars went full lock to lock. Finally settled, and I needed to brake for the left turn (couldn't go straight) and the lever went all the way to the bar. Probably one of my biggest pucker moments ever... Not that it's the magic bullet, but the expense for a damper didn't seem so bad after that point.

Haven't really had any issues on my motards. There have been a couple moments when the bars got a little light and twitchy, but nothing too bad.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I recall and old saying about front end problems coming from the rear and rear end problems coming fromthe front
Having that said check all bearings shok mounts and torque specks, tire pressure on the rear end
heal fast

·
Registered
61 Posts
i too hit a pothole once, mid turn, about 45mph, was leaning into the turn pretty good too....major wobble holy shit, i pood my pants a little. If i woulda went down i woulda got ran over by the car be hid me for sure!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts