SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm riding a wr250x and find myself spending most my time on the highway, what would be the best gearing for my bike so it's not so hard on the engine in traffic and at high speeds? Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, but I have to work with what i got for now. Any suggestions at all so im not working the engine so hard?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Stock gearing is about as good as you're going to get. More than that and it probably won't Pull highway speeds in 6th.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah i was kind of thinking the same thing. I'm running a 12/43 right now? (I think..) But like I said, on the highway it just seems to be working to hard. Keep in mind I'm riding about 75-80 aprox. 14 miles or so.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Is that whT your speedo says or actual speed? Stock is 13/42 if I remember. I have 13/45 and love it. Im going to stick with this setup for the remainder of the bikes life. If I were you, I'd just stick the 13 back on it and call it good. But like mentioned before. The x is not a highway bike. Just slow it down to 65 and stay in the right lane, Watch your mirrors, and leave a few minutes earlier.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Or leave earlier and plan a diff route. I have about 15mi of highway riding to get to work, but I found a back way that only takes me 10 mins longer and is way more fun. If im in a rush I take the highway. And after work, the back way is faster regardless.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
agreed, Im taking the highway to get to work faster yes, plus avoid all the damn lights. So many on my 24 mile treck to the slave pen. But i think it will be worth it. My speedo hasn't read right since i've changed the gearing but i've checked it and figure im bout 9-10 mph off. The 13/45 does well at higher speeds and still gives the torque you need to get out? Are you using a power commander steve?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Yep, power commander, autotune, airbox door off, with a k&n and graves pipe. I can clutch 3rd gear wheelies. I feel like I'm killing it too at highwAy speeds though. I try not to do it for more than a mile or 2. If I have to cover that much ground I try to keep it under 70. Bu even then I'm just guessing. I never recalibrated my speedo.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nice nice, I have my full arsenal of mods as well but im rolling with a power programer from fmf since i have the full fmf setup. Still trying to figure out a good setup for it. But i think i will try that 13 45 set up and see how i like it. Oh and by the way my girl and I are coming down to victoria next weekend.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I don't personally own a WR, but I know jap bikes. Rev the crap out of the thing, man. You're not going to hurt anything. I'd probably go back to the stock gearing if I'm understanding correctly- you have shortened the gearing? Anyhow, I've been on the highway a fair amount on my bike and never worry about RPM.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I personally have 13/45 gearing, still have stock exhaust/header/intake/stock ECU. My exhaust should be coming in soon and I plan to get a programmer. But I commute about 50 miles round trip, which is 90% highway. I cruise at 65-67 mph on my speedo, hasn't been re-calibrated. I'm in no rush when I'm riding, but it still has balls when I need to blow past big rigs and other doucher drivers(especially in the morning).

I've thought of changing my route to have a little more fun and not be on the freeway so much, but it would be quite a trip to get to work everyday. Coming home I'm really in no rush so maybe I'll do the long route home. I wish I had a tach because the WRX rev's like a crazy beast!!! :anim_peep:

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
nice nice, I have my full arsenal of mods as well but im rolling with a power programer from fmf since i have the full fmf setup. Still trying to figure out a good setup for it. But i think i will try that 13 45 set up and see how i like it. Oh and by the way my girl and I are coming down to victoria next weekend.
Cool. Just pm me. Im getting tattooed sat night but other than that I'm open. I'll get ahold of nicco766 and we'll do some riding.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Stock gearing for a wr250x is 13/42.

yes - for longer highway rides - if that's the majority of what your bike sees, I would go back to that. You'll still be off on your speedometer by about 7% or so.

Keep in mind the X engine is 1/4th of an R1. it is designed to run at elevated rpms.

If you were riding from Boston to Miami you might have a concern regarding sustained elevated rpms.

14 miles isn't going to kill your bike at all. At 70-75 actual mph that's less than 10 minutes of riding and you are pushing some very decent air into the radiator.

I would not consider that to be remotely abusive to the X.

Has to be easier on the bike than hammering the gears and bouncing the rev limiter on backroads for hours....and most of us never consider that to be abuse. :D

Stock gearing is pretty lame for most situations in my opinion, but if you want a better highway cruise that's the gearing I'd suggest.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks grendel i appreciate your reply to the post, and the engine doesn't seem to be working to hard at those speeds. Well from what i can hear anyways. I will probably just leave the gearing I have right now, until i need new sprockets again that is. Now to figure out the right setup for the power programmar...:hmmm:

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
The 13/45 I run is probably only slightly higher than the 12/43 if not almost identical. If I were you, id throw a 13 back on the front to be a little easier on chains and do you're adjusting with rear sprocket changes untill you find what you like. You can get steel sunstars pretty cheap. Yz250f sprockets fit. I think 13/45 is good but I still try to only do about 70 or so for a long time. But it'll pull 85-90 no problem wide open. So id say somewhere between stock and that would be good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yar, I think i will try it out. But I'm gonna roll with what I got until they can't take anymore i think lol. Mainly cause we just got a new place and are trying to get everything together. But we can always talk more about it this weekend. I'll have to get your number and shoot you a text or something. I know one things for sure, we are not riding 2up from Houston to Victoria again on the 250 haha.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering the same thing but for my 2006 yz450f I wanna beable to go for cruises with my buddys that have harleys and r6's they cruise all day at about 70 whats the best gearing for me?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts