SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I brought a CRF 450X a few months back. The headlight is better than my old KTM 125 it is still pretty rubbish! I understand that I cannot run a HID from the battery as the charging power to the battery is something like 10w if I can remember correctly, and I can't just connect it to the headlight wires as it runs on AC. So could I purchase another rectifier then send the power from the headlight to the battery so the battery does not run down and it can also supply the large start up current for the HID or is this a load of rubbish?!

Cheers
James

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
You could but keep in mind you will lose some watts during the rectification so it may effect the remaining output to charge the battery. I'm not sure exactly how the X runs its acc/charging system but another option for you is to rewind your statorr for more output and then just do a single DC system with plenty of amps. Or purchase one if you want to go expensive with it.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/381641-rewound-my-stator-today/

Z

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You could but keep in mind you will lose some watts during the rectification so it may effect the remaining output to charge the battery. I'm not sure exactly how the X runs its acc/charging system but another option for you is to rewind your statorr for more output and then just do a single DC system with plenty of amps. Or purchase one if you want to go expensive with it.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/381641-rewound-my-stator-today/

Z
Hi mate thanks for the reply, do you have a rough idea how many watts I would lose? As long as it is less than 10w I should be OK as the stock headlight is 35w and I think it has 10w charging already, I have heard that the slim Chinese '35w' ballasts may actually be a fair bit under 35w as well so that will help. I have been debating rewinding the stator but I want to do it as cheaply as possible as I've just got a cheap KTM EXC-F 250 that is taking most of my time and has taken most of my money already! So if I wanted to go down the rectifier route could I just wire the headlight wires to this then the DC straight to the battery or would I need some other components as well? http://tinyurl.com/pfqtqg3
Thanks
James

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Hi mate thanks for the reply, do you have a rough idea how many watts I would lose? As long as it is less than 10w I should be OK as the stock headlight is 35w and I think it has 10w charging already, I have heard that the slim Chinese '35w' ballasts may actually be a fair bit under 35w as well so that will help. I have been debating rewinding the stator but I want to do it as cheaply as possible as I've just got a cheap KTM EXC-F 250 that is taking most of my time and has taken most of my money already! So if I wanted to go down the rectifier route could I just wire the headlight wires to this then the DC straight to the battery or would I need some other components as well? http://tinyurl.com/pfqtqg3
Thanks
James
The Baja Designs components are not expensive. However they're going to be necessary to accomplish what you're looking for IMO. I've been working this on my WR450s and I'm also converting a CRF450R. The WR450 requires a ground to be floated, but I believe the 450x requires a stator rewind. Once again I'm not 100% positive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Baja Designs components are not expensive. However they're going to be necessary to accomplish what you're looking for IMO. I've been working this on my WR450s and I'm also converting a CRF450R. The WR450 requires a ground to be floated, but I believe the 450x requires a stator rewind. Once again I'm not 100% positive.
Thanks, I'll look into the kit but I may try my way first as I am really short on money but riding at night with the stock headlight is actually dangerous. If my way doesn't work I'll sell the rectifier on eBay, how much would it be for the Baja Designs kit?
Thanks
james

·
Registered
491 Posts
BD 150W DC stator rewind and reg/rec is the best way to go imo. Cost is $200 plus shipping. Stock is 40W DC and 20W AC....rubbish, as you put it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BD 150W DC stator rewind and reg/rec is the best way to go imo. Cost is $200 plus shipping. Stock is 40W DC and 20W AC....rubbish, as you put it.
That's not too expensive but the shipping to Guernsey would be pretty bad. Thanks for the numbers that's really helpful but do you mean 40W AC and 20W DC as I think the headlight is 35W AC. If it is 40W and 20W then I do think the rectifier idea will work as the HID will only draw 35W which will mean that if anything more will be going in the battery than before plus with the HID included I could do it for $120 which is pretty good going. Obviously when I sell my KTM I will have some more money and I will go with the BD kit and probably a whole new headlight but until then I think this is a good solution.
Thanks
James

·
Registered
491 Posts
That's not too expensive but the shipping to Guernsey would be pretty bad. Thanks for the numbers that's really helpful but do you mean 40W AC and 20W DC as I think the headlight is 35W AC. If it is 40W and 20W then I do think the rectifier idea will work as the HID will only draw 35W which will mean that if anything more will be going in the battery than before plus with the HID included I could do it for $120 which is pretty good going. Obviously when I sell my KTM I will have some more money and I will go with the BD kit and probably a whole new headlight but until then I think this is a good solution.
Thanks
James
You are correct, transposed the AC/DC, LOL. Your current plan is marginal at best, but if you want to spend $120 to end up in the same place you are now, go for it and good luck.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thanks
James
You are correct, transposed the AC/DC, LOL. Ya getz what ya payz for.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are correct, transposed the AC/DC, LOL. Your current plan is marginal at best, but if you want to spend $120 to end up in the same place you are now, go for it and good luck.
Thanks, I know it's for from optimal but if I can get the HID to run without draining the battery then I really don't see why I would need a stator upgrade :headscrat The issue that I think I will have is the crap beam pattern of the HID compared to the normal bulb but I think that is due to the spacing of the bulb in the reflector, I plan to solve that by making a spacer with the laser cutter at school I'll just say it is part of my project :lol: Anyway I appreciate your help and thanks for telling me your concerns if you have any more then just say and in a week or so I'll probably regret trying to do it but since almost going into a solid granite wall at 50 I'm willing to take the gamble!
Cheers
James

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys just looking at rectifiers do any of you know if the AC to the headlight would be single phase or three phase I'm thinking it would be single phase but I'm not sure.
Thanks
James

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Guys just looking at rectifiers do any of you know if the AC to the headlight would be single phase or three phase I'm thinking it would be single phase but I'm not sure.
Thanks
James
Single, usually only bigger 'street bikes' have three phase it does better with many more poles than what these dirt bikes have.

To tell there will be three power wires from the stator to the reg/rec usually where a single will most likely only have one or two.

Z

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Single, usually only bigger 'street bikes' have three phase it does better with many more poles than what these dirt bikes have.

To tell there will be three power wires from the stator to the reg/rec usually where a single will most likely only have one or two.

Z
Thanks mate I'm going to order the rectifier now and give it a shot, I'll post an update to tell you guys how it went.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I got the HID wired straight to the battery a few nights ago as the rectifier took ages to come and it was brilliant! My rectifier came today but I have a problem. I connected the two wires on the rectifier to the two original wires that went to the AC headlight and at idle I was getting just 7v DC from the rectifier, and the more I rev the bike the lower it gets?? Do any of you have any ideas why this is happening? This is the rectifier I am using http://www.ebay.com/itm/291024153663?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
James

1 - 15 of 15 Posts