SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to supermotos. I used to live in Honolulu untill about a month ago but now live on Guam. I have been on superbikes for the last 7 years and have racked up about 100,000 miles since I started riding in 2003. I have had two R6s and I currently ride a Ducati 1198. Riding in Hawaii was okay considering the size of the place but I fear Guam on a superbike is just going to get me into trouble. The way I see it I have two options, go cruiser, or go supermoto. Frankly, I'm not quite ready for a cruiser yet, so here I am.

First off, am I making the right decision to go supermoto? Secondly, how should I start this whole thing off? Guam is pretty secluded so I'm basically restricted to the Japanese four (please correct me if this is a wrong assumption). Do I buy a supermoto straight off the floor, which would have to be the Suzuki because I don't think a 250cc will do it for me, or do I spend a bit more and convert a mx bike? If I go mx, which one?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any feedback that would point me in the right direction.

dd

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
1) Yes.
2) Buy a bike, any bike.
3) Don't know about Guam dealerships, but you can't go wrong with the Big 4.
4) I've done it both ways and straight off the floor is easiest. IMO You definitely want more than 250cc.
6) If I went MX it would be a CRF450R, YZ450F or a KTM SX with a button.

:welcome: to SMJ!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the welcome and advice. it has been a bit lonely in here so i figured i'd better start reading up. here is were i'm at the moment.

i want to buy new.
my first choice would be a 450 four stroke.
the wr450f would be that choice based on what i have read about their reliability, but the local dealer in guam don't carry them, go figure.
the crf450x looks like a great bike, and i can get one here on guam, but i have read a lot about bad reliability.
i would say performance is my biggest requirement but i also don't want to be spending more than what is necessary. i know its a wide open statement, but thats why i'm asking for advice.
my next choice would be a dr-z400sm
and lastly get a xr650l or dr650e.

so here are my questions:
would i sacrifice a lot on reliability by going with a yz450f in stead of the wr, and do the mods i will have to do become too expensive?
is the 2009 model year crf450x problematic reliability wise? its the only one on the floor here in guam at the moment.
is it worth getting the dr-z400sm and spending the extra bucks to get more power out of it?
would the 650's be as much fun as the 450's?
what would you pick (out of these choices)?

thanks, dd

·
Registered
20 Posts
Reliability

Hi and welcome to SMJ!

What sort of kms are you looking at doing on the bike?
The reason I ask is that if you opt for an enduro (WR or CRF for example) the service intervals are a killer for anyone doing a reasonable amount of riding. The DRZ's are bullet-proof and there is thousands of options for performance parts and blingy bits alike.

Welcome to SMJ and enjoy your stay :)

Aaron

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Aaron,

I used to put about 800 miles a month on the ducati but that was my only transportation. I now have car so probably a third of that. That's probably still quite a lot yea?

dd

·
Registered
586 Posts
Good ol' Guam, it's not a terrible place, but certainly not great. I've only been here for 3 months, but the riding here is great for a supermoto. If you can pick one up before you get on island you'll save yourself a bundle. A super sport would be an absolute waste on this island, never get out of 3rd. I have a suzuki, but I think I'd be perfectly content here with the 250. I should be back on island in a few weeks, I don't know where everything is, but have a few contacts that can get me more info.

·
Registered
20 Posts
service intervals

200-300 kms a month isn't much. I get almost 1000kms a month on my smc.
The WR's/CRF's have a 500kms service intervals... so you'll be servicing it once a month pretty much. A hell of a lot of fun and have a power to boot, but maintenance costs are a lot higher. Thee 2500km intervals that I do on the smc come around soon enoiugh as it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
appreciate the feedback mr tard. by service you mean changing the oil mainly right? I guess thats not too expensive if you do it yourself, or are there other things involved?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, I just mean the usual. Oil, filters, valves, etc
I just realised to that you were talking Miles, not Kilometers, If your looking at about 200-300 Miles (320-480kms) in a month then yep, you'll be doing the oil and filters every month on a proper enduro like a WR or CRF. I would defiantly consider the DRZ400SM as an option or it may get expensive in the long run.

Aaron

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think you are right. The drz is probably what I should get. Just to ease my mind, how does the yamaha 250 stack up against the drz? It seems a bit small in comparison, especially once one starts looking to upgrade the engine?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I haven't ridden the WR250R (the sumo) but I have ridden a heap of DRZ's. I think once you get more used to riding a supermoto and get more adventurous with your riding style that you'd soon feel that the Yamaha is under powered. I rode a heap of DRZ's before I bought my first supermoto and opted for the KTM as I do a fair few straight roads over decent distances also. For the money, I think the DRZ would be a better option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Aaron, thanks a bunch. You changed my mind and I'm sure I'll be better off. I can always go bigger later when I understand these bikes a bit better.

Again thanks. DD

·
Registered
20 Posts
no probs.
I wasn't here to make your mind up for you, just giving my 2-cents.
I'm only 50kgs (110pounds) and even I feel a 250cc motard to be a little pointless when the same $$ can get you a 400cc.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
doordude I will let you try my DRZ to see if you like the power. :thumbup:

I will PM you my number and email.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No worries, I was kind of set on getting a high maintenance 450 and realized I would have had to spend to much time working on it. I'm a bit lazy and work gets in the way too. I enjoy riding and one can have fun on any size bike. It's just I have gotten used to my ducati, which is a beast let me tell you. Man I'm sure going to miss that bike:(

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Well what ever you decide on, call me so we can tear up the island together. :bike::bike:

Or seeing how you are new here, call me and we can have a beer. :cheers:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi there, my last reply was actually meant for Aaron. Sweet, I would love to try one out. I can't wait to get a bike (drz) and get in on the riding here on the island.

Thanks, DD

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Check your PM and call me. Well set up a time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts