SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm looking to get a street legal supermoto. I will be riding about 90% on pavement and maybe a little on some packed dirtroads. I almost want something I can just buy and throttledown but then again, I am somewhat mechanically inclined so I am not ruling out dirtbike to SUMO conversions...

I've looked hard at the drz 400 sm. They seem to have tons of aftermarket parts and such for replacement and customization. The ONLY problem I can foresee with this model is that I think I might "outgrow" it quickly and find myself wanting for more power and/ or speed... I understand there are other Suzuki models similar to this one but with more POWER and TORQUE...

I like a lot of the Honda conversions I've seen. Especially the 600, 650, etc...

Another one I like is the KTM 620 duke, but are they as high maintenance as they say? I'm looking for LOW maint., decent parts selection, compatibility with other models a plus, and not too bad for a noob who can read instructions to work on LOL

Also, I'm not very big. '5 "10 , 135 lbs soaking wet and rocks in my pockets.

what are the possibilities here? To me, they are endless so hopefully you guys will help me to narrow it down some.

Just a preference, but I'm not really into the KLR 650. Although if you have a pic of one in Supermoto version...

As you can see, I really have a dilemma here but I'm spending time researching and saving money in the process... I don't want payments LOL

calling all SMJ'S!!!!!!!!! Help!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Google is your best friend i think when starting out. It brought me here! I have a '02 yz 426f that i am thinking of sumoing out. I ride it on the trails and pipelines of southeast texas and it is a BEAST in the best sense of the word. So far from what ive seen and heard ill have to do alot of swaping yz and wr parts out to get to where i want to be to ride my 426 around on the roads. Good luck man.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Google is your best friend i think when starting out. It brought me here! I have a '02 yz 426f that i am thinking of sumoing out. I ride it on the trails and pipelines of southeast texas and it is a BEAST in the best sense of the word. So far from what ive seen and heard ill have to do alot of swaping yz and wr parts out to get to where i want to be to ride my 426 around on the roads. Good luck man.
Yeah, google is awesome. I didnt even know what a "SUMO" was a month ago :lol:
and see, your idea for example... freakin sweet!!! I like the idea of taking an "older" model bike and making it look very fresh and modern by finding the right parts. Then you end up with something that looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. (of course, many of the parts did but hey, who knows that by looking at it?

The YZ series is on my "list" of ones to look at for sure and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
445 Posts
For your weight a drz would be an awesome bike to start with. Very solid, reliable and readily available. I have a wr426 and my buddies drz isn't that much slower than it. Buy it, ride it, love it.

To edgewize85:

Here is my '01 wr426 with full YZf plastics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wierac21, nice build. that is slick and very similar to the look I am going for. I am leaning hard to the drz 400 but man they are hard to find! seems everytime I cross paths with one on CL or elsewhere, it is gone that day or its a million miles away!

So, I'm thinking if I can't find one then I will find a dirtbike and mod it to my tastebuds delight.

Hey everyone, post before and after pics of your conversions here or maybe direct me to thread they are already in... TIA

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm looking for LOW maint., decent parts selection, compatibility with other models a plus, and not too bad for a noob who can read instructions to work on LOL
A DRZ sounds perfect for you. You didn't mention how long you've been riding or what bikes you had, but I went from a 180hp R1 to a slightly modded DRZ and I'm having a blast. Sure, it's underpowered compared to most other motards, but you can't beat the maintenance schedule, reliability, or parts availability...

I've had mine for about 18 months now..while I wouldn't mind more power (FCR is in the future), it doesn't stop me from riding it and having a blast. If anything, underpowered bikes will improve your riding skills much faster, making you learn how to push the bike to its limits. There's that old saying, "I'd rather be the fast guy on a slow bike than the slow guy on the fast bike."

My suggestion is to go factory SM instead of building your own, especially for your first motard. I've ridden a few DRZ conversions, and none of them felt as solid or planted as my DRZ does.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sheffield,
thanks for the solid advice and there seems to be a lot of encouragement for the stock drz. it's what I'm currently looking for like crazy, i got the fever for one! I actually rode an '07 drz s not long ago and really enjoyed it. I grew up riding dirtbikes here and there... I've ridden my buddies 250 ninja a few times and the most recent and biggest bike so far was a honda shadow. So I've had a little exp with 3 of the major styles and the SUMO (DRZ) just felt right to me.

Heck if I find the right one before I have enough saved, I may just have to finance one I can't stand it! I've even been looking for parts. Just from browsing in the last half hour, I think I can find everything I need to build a DRZ SM except for the frame and a few other things. I probably just haven't tripped over them yet...

Thanks everyone for the input. Much appreciated from a guy who doesn't know yit when it comes to this stuff (mostly) LoL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
yes indeed, nice thread and awesome work done on everyones part! these motorcycles are TRUE transformers LoL. Is this something that comes to you gradually over time or does it just smack you in the face and hook you? :hmmm:

can anyone share any thoughts about the big bore kit (434cc) for the drz? obvious + I think would be a few added steeds but are there any drawbacks?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've riden dirt bikes since I was 4 (now 24). This is what I love more than anything else on this blue rock. Dirt bikes are awesome but being able to ride from the street to the trail legally (ish) is better than anything else!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts