SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Florida Supermoto Racers- I was sitting my super classy office last night pondering the joys of life, the follies of mankind, and the challenges we face with supermoto. I thought I'd ask you guys what you think.

What's hard about arranging venues always comes down to the dirt section. Dirt is expensive to put in and expensive to maintain. I also noticed some of the venues in the Northwoods GP series up in Wisconsin/Michigan don't have dirt sections. We are set with the dirt sections and venues at these locations: Middle Georgia Kart Track, Tallahassee, Starke.

We could probably race at at least 3 more venues (give or take one) if we omitted the dirt section. I understand that, to some of you, that technically is NOT supermoto. However, sometimes it's good to look at the big picture, and no dirt section is better than no racing. One of our biggest classes in Tallahassee was the street only class, with about 15 entries in that class, and it was just about the most fun to watch.

So what do you guys think about adding more venues without dirt in addition to our tracks that do have dirt?

Ya'lls feedback on this is essential! Tell me if you would be down or not down!

Thanks!

- THUNDER, President, Florida Supermoto (long live Larry Wolfe!)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Can't win em all, compromise is the way to go. It's either no racing at all or a few events with no dirt. Seems like an easy decision.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i have found that a lot of guys are not from a dirt bike back ground including myself. we all started of doing a few track day and went from there.
I get involved with a group of guys in the uk who run a 2 day track day each year with NO dirt section and its limited to 60 riders, its always over subscribed .

You need something for everybody if ya want to survive.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
I support tracks without dirt. While the dirt is a whole lot of fun and technically a part of the sport. I'd like to have the option to participate in more events.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
No brainer, 100%. No dirt is always better than no ride! IMHO, for every "hardcore" who claims he won't show for no dirt, you will get two who do show up and tell you they had
no interest in learning how to race on dirt with work on Monday.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'll just say' hey I own a dirt bike with slicks I'll race anything' and the more tracks the better regardless

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
^^ I agree. But a track with dirt is a true supermoto track. With out it, it's just road racing. It would not prevent me from racing that particular venue. But, I come from a dirt back round and jumping is just one of the things I love about this sport.
When it comes down to it, dirt or not, racing is all that matters in the end.:thumbup:

Just my 0.02

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is great, thanks for the feedback. We'll keep you guys posted very soon, we very well may be adding a couple races with no dirt to keep the racing going in addition to our proper (w/ dirt) supermoto tracks.

·
Registered
514 Posts
A wider variety of tracks is certainly more appealing, even if it means sometimes sacrificing the dirt section.

I think MGKT is a venue that not everyone will be able to swing because of its distance, so adding one or two stops that are a bit more convenient would keep riders from being stuck on the same two tracks all season.

More variety also adds another dynamic to racing, as we're all having to learn and adapt our riding to each specific track which makes the competition that much more interesting.

AND the more places we race, the more fans we'll be able to reach which is always good for the sport. That's my take on it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I think it would be GREAT!! :thumbup: I dont think it's been any secret, the dirt hasn't been very friendly too me. Therefore I ride like Morgan Freeman in Driving Miss Daisy through it :lol: With asphalt only venues, I could possibly come outta retirement and still ride/race with you guys :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Dirt -1

I too do not care if there is no dirt at all and probably prefer no dirt because of my road racing background. From watching the old ABC Sports Superbikers episodes it looks like a mix of flat track and road racing with only SINGLE jumps (not any ridiculous doubles/whoops motocross stuff). I'd be game for either of the two but no motocross mayhem.

Since Florida has such an abundance of sand it would make racing really interesting with a small sugar sand/grass section!

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
How did I miss this thread? :headscrat Well anyways...

No dirt has never been a problem with me. My bike is actually set-up euro style(low & fast)so no dirt is fine.

The problems with dirt sections are numerous;
-Like Thunder mentions..very difficult to get a venue to host
-expensive
-All the riders have a different idea of how it should be laid out.
-It does not attract more spectators
-It does not attract more participants
-It, by far, produces the most injuries.
-The dirt guys have never ever showed up in numbers that would continue to justify expensive dirt sections that are a logistical headache.

Who cares what the technical definition of SM is. We are so hung up on that, that it is driving our passion into the 'has been' section of wikipedia. Dirt sections simply do not sell. We need a fresh approach, and if that means pavement only most of the time so be it.

90% of SM guys come from roadrace backgrounds, or simply want to scrape pegs and eliminate chicken strips around a road course on their new DRZ. My prediction is the largest turnouts in the future will be for asphalt only classes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
How did I miss this thread? :headscrat Well anyways...

No dirt has never been a problem with me. My bike is actually set-up euro style(low & fast)so no dirt is fine.

The problems with dirt sections are numerous;
-Like Thunder mentions..very difficult to get a venue to host
-expensive
-All the riders have a different idea of how it should be laid out.
-It does not attract more spectators
-It does not attract more participants
-It, by far, produces the most injuries.
-The dirt guys have never ever showed up in numbers that would continue to justify expensive dirt sections that are a logistical headache.

Who cares what the technical definition of SM is. We are so hung up on that, that it is driving our passion into the 'has been' section of wikipedia. Dirt sections simply do not sell. We need a fresh approach, and if that means pavement only most of the time so be it.

90% of SM guys come from roadrace backgrounds, or simply want to scrape pegs and eliminate chicken strips around a road course on their new DRZ. My prediction is the largest turnouts in the future will be for asphalt only classes.
I fully WHOLE heartly support this! As a new rider on a DRZ, i would kill to show up from Tennessee for a lil romp on a ashphalt only track in the novice class. I hope this comes to fruit!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Why not jumps like you saw in the X Games (years ago) where they were built and could be taken anywhere. They dont have to be huge, just a couple table tops or small doubles.

I really like the jumps, but thats cause I came from a motocross back round and thats what lead me into SM. Jumps are what (I think) really differ SM racing from road racing...

·
Registered
976 Posts
We are dealing with this same problem in Colorado this year. We are finding alot of guys have gotten "burned out" on always riding the 1 real track here. Our other track is 4 hours away from Denver so it only sees people on the 2 race days each year.

We did get a new venue this year and the stipulation was no "real" dirt section, so there was only one single, but most everyone had a great time and enjoyed the track anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxO94N4xWDM

We do have another kart track in Denver that allows supermotos, but won't allow a dirt section... We are looking into portable metal ramps similar to the AMA ones, just not that large. If it can be done for cheap enough, the "portable jump section" is a viable alternative i feel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts