SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking at tires for DRZ400sm, and was wondering if a 150/70 tire would be alright for the bike? Would it fit nice, and or perform fine as compared to the 140/70 140/80 tires? And if I were to be getting 150 tires... recommendations? This is talking rear tire specifically... Thankss!!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have a DR650 which came with a 150/60-17 when I bought the wheelset. I always had 1/8" of chicken strips cause I'd only just started riding. Riding to work on the highway, and riding to get to the twisties killed the Pilot Power in 3,000km (2,000mi). So I went for a Pilot Road 2, which only comes in a 150/70. The 60 and 70 are the profile, 70 being "taller" sidewall than the 60. Because of the tall sidewall, it has a less curved profile if that makes sense, so you can't crank it over as far. Now I've become more confident, I find myself running out of tyre, so have to ride knee out style to compensate. Riding hard on the road I haven't had a problem, and the mileage outweighs the peg-scraping ability. Only when I went to the track for the first time I found I was running out of lean angle. For street riding, I will be going with another Michelin Pilot Road, going for the new Road "3" this time, Michelin rep said I would notice more grip and hopefully more mileage. I've got over 10,000km (6,000 miles) out of the Pilot Road 2 instead of 3,000km (2,000miles) out of the Pilot Power, which matters to me for commuting on it often. I will get another sport/track tyre with 60 profile strictly for the track for more lean angle.

As for recommendations - I can recommend the Michelin Pilot Power if you're after grip (I've heard good things about the Pirelli Corsa's), if you're after mileage go for the Pilot Road 2 or 3 in the 70 profile. They are still soft on the edge, but harder compound in the middle for mileage when commuting.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maaaaan thanks a lot!!! Lots of info :D

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
150 will fit just fine. Pilot Power, Bridgestone BT 016/002's, Conti Sm's

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Welcome!

If it is a factory SM (not a conversion) you can fit a 150 perfectly, and most 160's will fit as well.

You need to think about what your primary type of riding will be, then we can focus on a specific tire. DRZ's eat rear tires, so don't be alarmed if you are going through them in about 1500 miles if it is a soft performance tire and you ride hard.

Pilot Power's are great for canyon / street use. Conti SM's and then Distanzias are good for a bike used on dirt / trails. Shinko's are decent and affordable as well, IMHO and they new 704's are getting good reviews for more dirt / gravel usage.

Damn near everyone here will have a different opinion on favorite tires. Regardless, mounting an 150 is a no-risk purchase that is highly recommended.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man you guys are awesome !!! Thanks for the info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts