SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals. Sorry to be like a complete idiot but im not really mechanical minded but i do try from time to time.

I was just wondering if i could restrict a 2004 Yamaha WRF450F to 33bhp, because im taking my test within the next month and really want a supermoto. Here's the bike i want to buy because it looks like a brilliant bargain.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WR450F-Superm...I&otn=3&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=543494969555633223

Also i would like to know how much maintenance this bike will need in the for-seeable future because i hope to ride it whenever i feel like it, Rain, Dry (on-road).

All advice will be taken into consideration. Thanks Guys.

Tommy Kidson.

:hmmm:

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
With a FCR in there I bet you could use the limit screw from a U.S. spec 625 SMC to limit it. Don't know if that will get the desired HP or not but it'd be worth a try.

Also don't know anything about the legalities of limiting a bike for Euro use.

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
I think I'm thinkin of the same thing as tdreyer, The older huskies came with a throttle stop. It was an extended screw that holds the needle in the slide of your carb. It only allows you to twist the throttle halfway or so because the extended screw on the slide hits the top of the carb before you get anywhere near full throttle.. that would limit HP on the dyno..

·
Registered
849 Posts
I might be wrong but I think you'll find the limiting restriction can't be something you can just unscrew but totally get where the guys above are coming from.

Normally it's a restrictor in the exhaust which is welded in place or something similar. These mods are generally factory fitted and therefore calibrated.

Not that I wouldn't want a 450SM learner legal bike either!! :D

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I might be wrong but I think you'll find the limiting restriction can't be something you can just unscrew but totally get where the guys above are coming from.

Normally it's a restrictor in the exhaust which is welded in place or something similar. These mods are generally factory fitted and therefore calibrated.

Not that I wouldn't want a 450SM learner legal bike either!! :D
I hear what your saying. Even still a pipe can be unbolted and swapped almost as easily as the limit stop in the top of an FCR.

Like I said, I don't know the Euro laws on this at all.

How about here?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:headscrat:

Hmm, well my brother had a DRZ 400sm K7 and when he bought it from Bridge Motorcycles in Exeter, Devon, UK. They managed to find a restrictor, the restrictor was something to do with a different top casing on the carb so i think it might be the same as the screw idea, because it would work the same way (i believe) correct me if i'm wrong, i'm not the sort of person that is mechanically minded, i'll have a look and see if my brother's still got the restrictor, but the problem is he might not because he's picking up his new bike today he just bought for £5,500, he bought an Apprillia Dorsaduro, it's Lush ! He was trying to decide between a Gixxer 750 k7 or a Dorsaduro and he went for the dorsa just for the fact he knew he'd have alot more fun !:lol:

·
Registered
53 Posts
In all reality, are you going to keep the restrictor in place? i am on a UK restricted liscense and ride my ktm 640 without a restrictor but said it was restricted for insurance, but thats against the law, but in my view its highly unlikely to get caught so if i were you i would just ride the 450 unrestricted and try to avoid having an accident bad enough that would warrant the police checking if your bike was restricted

·
Registered
849 Posts
In all reality, are you going to keep the restrictor in place? i am on a UK restricted liscense and ride my ktm 640 without a restrictor but said it was restricted for insurance, but thats against the law, but in my view its highly unlikely to get caught so if i were you i would just ride the 450 unrestricted and try to avoid having an accident bad enough that would warrant the police checking if your bike was restricted
Agree. It's pretty much like when you insure your bike and you get asked if it's been modified. 'Oh yes, I've fitted a can and a comp piston and and..' in reality we all say no unless it's a different motor or something you can't remove easily (should the need arise).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts