SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Have you ridden with it at night? Is it enough to actually ride with? I'm interested in this for my "road legal" minimalist track bike. Want the clean looks but a bit of functionality if I ever have to ride at night.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Looks good, how is the beam pattern? Is it too focused or does it actually spread?

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The led is a 3-up CREE xp-g2 with a 1400MA buckpuck led driver.
With 12v it provides 1500 lumens with a 2amp draw. And of course I'm using a tight optic.
I knew nothing about leds before I started this project. My tail light will be the same except red 3-up and a dimming driver

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I had several options on how to wire it. I decided a on off switch was best for me. So working backwards from the batt.. Wire from + and - of batt to the handlebar switch. Add an inline mini fuse as close to the batt as possible. 5amps is plenty any bigger defers the purpose of the fuse.
Now at the handlebar switch + in and + out of the switch. I only wired the neg up to there to make a clean harness. + and - to the VIN of the buckpuck driver. Out of the buckpuck led + and - go to the led.
Done.

·
Registered
107 Posts
lights

Thank you for the diagram and quick response. Was it difficult to aim? Not to be too much of a bother but can you post part numbers.Thanks in advance, the output looks awesome!

·
Registered
130 Posts
That light is awesome. Could you post up the part numbers by chance? Nice work!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
How is the heat from that led? I know a lot of the higher power leds need a heatsink if you expect them to live a long life.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah you need a heatsink. About 20 square inches in a confined space. Behind the numberplate has plenty of air flow. So I chose this heatsink. Ill post up part numbers and links to all the parts
Here is a pic of the tail light. No bezel yet. I'm finishing it today

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
:thumbup: to LEDsupply.com. Got my stuff in a couple of days.

I picked up their housing kit for use on my 2 stroke. I needed to order parts from them anyway for another project, so I figured why not.

I'll be powering mine off of some lipo packs I had for r/c cars. Once I get the light assembled, I'll hook it up and see what I get for run times. This is basically a 'just in case' thing as I try not to ride off road after dark.

·
Registered
107 Posts
part numbers

Hey 06-530RR, when you have a bit of free time i'd like the part numbers you used for your headlight. Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts