1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
old school supermoto
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taken from BARF -

Most of you probably know that bikes have to be registered within CA
if you are transporting them on public highways. Yes, even race
bikes. You can certainly do a PNO (Planned Non-Operation), and pay the annual fee. However, there is an alternative that will let you legally transport your racing motorcycle and pay a ONE-TIME fee of $3. *edit says 15, but I am not positive..disclaimer..*(Every year the DMV will send you a form stating that if nothing
has changed you don't need to send a payment.)

The process is nearly unknown at DMV offices and has to be the only true bargain left in California's bloated DMV system. Sure, you can go the easy route and pay the PNO every year, but I decided the hated DMV won't get any more of my money than is necessary, and I also loved causing consternation at the office as they went looking through dusty file cabinets for the right form. If you're willing to put up with the time involved, I think it's worth it.

The required form is "Motorcycle Transportation Permit", Form #712. If my experience is any indication, the DMV employee will have no idea what this form is, and may not even be able to find a copy on site. I found it very helpful to show them the Vehicle Code sections below, and to tell them the Form number.

Further, Sacramento may reject the application after it is submitted by the local DMV office. In my case, Sacramento seemed to think I was applying for an "off-road" (dirt bike) permit, and sent me letters warning me that my registration was past due and severe penalties could result. It took several months of repeated letters to finally get the proper permit. I could still transport the motorcycle during that time, as I'd received proof of payment while at the DMV office.

The relevant Vehicle Code passages are repeated below. These were copied verbatim from the California Vehicle Code on the DMV Web site. You can find a listing of the sections (Articles) here:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc.htm

38232. A special fee of three dollars ($3) shall be paid to the
department for the issuance of a special transportation
identification device issued pursuant to Section 38088 and shall be deposited in the Motor Vehicle Account in the Transportation Tax Fund. Such fee is in lieu of the fees provided in Section 38225. [Note: 38225 is the Off-Highway fee section, and this is an important statement because off-highway vehicles still require annual registrations.]

38088. (a) Upon payment of the fee specified in Section 38232, the department shall issue to the owner of a motorcycle, which the owner has certified as being used exclusively in racing events on a closed course, a special transportation identification device for the purpose of identifying the motorcycle while it is being transported upon a highway to and from racing events on a closed course. Such device may be either a plate or a sticker, whichever is determined by the department to be the most appropriate. (b) Such device is nonrenewable, nontransferrable, and becomes invalid when the vehicle for which it was issued is sold or dismantled.
(c) A certificate of ownership may not be issued in
conjunction with a special transportation identification device.

38022. Notwithstanding the provisions of Section 4000, motorcycles issued a special transportation identification device pursuant to Section 38088 may be transported upon a highway to and from a closed course.
[Note: Section 4000 essentially says that any motor vehicle on a
public road has to be registered.]

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
That is a wonderful tip! Might well be worth throwing a link to this thread in one of the main sections for all the so-cal folks. Not sure if they have anyplace down there that hassles them like the front gate at Prairie City does. Good looking out Brok!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Sticky this!! :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
901 Posts
[email protected]#$ers got me on the way into PC, just a fix it ticket, the up shot is I got a plate for my 02'....ignorance is bliss till you get caught with your pants down. One more thing if plan to race at P.C. and you have a suspended license for whatever reason they can impound your bike, #99 was warned about that.

·
Registered
151 Posts
do you think the rangers at places like PC are going to honor one of these transportation permits? when i spoke to them last time they said the bike needed to be registered (green or red sticker) even though it was going to be raced on a closed course at the facility. they seemed to think that you needed to have a green/red sticker just to be allowed into the park.

·
Registered
901 Posts
do you think the rangers at places like PC are going to honor one of these transportation permits? when i spoke to them last time they said the bike needed to be registered (green or red sticker) even though it was going to be raced on a closed course at the facility. they seemed to think that you needed to have a green/red sticker just to be allowed into the park.
happened to me and #99

·
old school supermoto
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya never know

I look at it a lot like going to DMV. It often depends on who you talk to.

I once approached the group of three rangers (or employees) in the office at PC, and they were all under the impression (like most of us) that vehicles being used in a closed course area were NOT required to have a sticker or sparky, however I have also sat down with a head ranger who informed me of what the law actually is, he said Ricky Carmichael needs on for his race bike when he is there, but we all know that's not the case.

When you get to the gate, always let them know first thing that you are going to the kart track or soon, the DTX Track and move on thru. Once in the park, you can ride in all approved areas at no added cost, provided you have a sticker and sparky. Although If you remain in a closed course area, an ohv sticker is not needed, however, at minimum, another acceptable form of "registration" is required to get it out of your garage and go any where. technically.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Like all the other cops on the planet, they don't know every single law on the books. The Rangers at State Parks know tons more about off-highway registration requirements than a street cop does, but far less about penal code laws or on-highway traffic laws. If you have a valid, DMV issued transportation permit and you get cited, go to court and fight it. You will win.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I just happened onto this thread so forgive me if I'm not up on current events. I've never ridden at PC. I've just gone to the MX races there a couple times. Do you mean to tell me that cops are at the gates hassling people hauling bikes for some lame "transportation" license? WTF is up with that? I've never heard of that. Ok, sure, you've got to have a red or green to RIDE but if you have a race bike just for the RACES you must license it to haul in your rig???? Do other places have that problem? I guess they'd rather do that than find drunk drivers. Please tell me I misunderstood the situation! :headscrat

·
Registered
600 Posts
da law

I don't think the rangers at PC are doing any more or less hasseling than the other CA state parks, or CHP for that matter.

it's just a law that most aren't aware of.

I haul race only bikes all the time, but these days i try to keep them out of sight...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ok, so I'm freshly returned from the DMV, and here is my report on the topic.

I dealt with three DMV employees, all of which had between 10-13 years of experience. One of them had heard of the form before, but only after I fully explained it to her.
One of them had never ever heard of anything remotely resembling what I was talking about.
The third (the DMV manager) had actually done one... once... a long time ago.

My printer was out of paper, so I did have to ask them for the form, which took about five or ten minutes of hunting through file cabinets, then through the DMV forms system to procure and print out.

Upon returning to the desk, I encountered the lady who had no idea, and she had to defer to her manager.
Between the two of them, it took another ten or fifteen minutes of rummaging, and hunting through computer files to find the right transaction, and dig the actual sticker out of some dusty file cabinet somewhere.
The sticker, btw, is from the 80's. When they handed it to me, they said "To be honest, I'll be surprised if it actually still sticks."
While the sticker says $3 on it, the computer wanted $18 to complete the transaction.

One bit of advice is to make sure they actually write the permit number in the upper right hand of the form. There IS a space for it, but it's not really obvious. I don't know what kind of hassle it would be down the road if they don't put it in there, and I don't want to find out.

Oh, and the sticker stuck, but it also split in three places just peeling it off the backing. Like I said... It's from the 80's!

Now here's hoping that I'll be good to go at P.C. this week!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
good post!

I have been into prarie city 3 times now in the last 6 months with both of my bikes that don't have stickers visible (keep reg in my bag) and never been given a second look when I say supermoto or TT track.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I believe it, but the price of a sticker vs the price of a ticket?
I'll go with the sticker.

"Trust in Allah, but tie your camel."

You know how it goes...

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
wow, Im gonna be relocating to Northern CA soon, and stumbled upon this while researching tracks and race organizations. I am in shock you need to register a race only vehicle with the DMV to put it in the back of your truck or trailer to transport it to race track. That is some very thick BS.

will I have any problem bringing a bike in out of state that I have no intent on registering for road use, but is actually DOT legal? I have heard that bikes coming into the state need to be fairly high mileage to thwart residents from buying models out of state and registering them.

FYI the bike is a 2009 Husqvarna SMR 450 with very low mileage.
I wasnt gonna worry about it until finding out I need to register it to trailer it to the track. :bs:

·
Registered
392 Posts
If you are moving into CA from another state, you don't have to worry about any mileage restrictions when registering any vehicle. You will need the permit discussed in this thread. Yes, it is an extra layer of bureaucracy but its just a one time fee.

Those mileage restrictions only apply to CA residents bringing a vehicle in from out of state, not new residents.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Were I in your shoes, I would leave that thing registered out of state and get an out of state ohv sticker from a cali dealership. ...problem solved for the moment.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
well, the thing is it isnt registered at all.
I do not have a plate for it here in VA, and there is no OHV registration of any kind here.
only thing I have is a title for the bike.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
This is an interesting thread.
So I was reading some of section 4000, specificly 4009 which reads (in whole)...

4009. A vehicle transported upon a highway, no part of which is in contact with the highway, is exempt from registration.

Yes, that is the whole section. maybe a little more research is needed.:headscrat

1 - 20 of 24 Posts