SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I know this is my first post. But I want to thank everyone so far!! I am in the beginning of street legalizing my 08 RMZ 450 and all thanks to you it is going nicely. The only obstacle I have now is the Lighting. I am curious what others have done to get a full lighting kit for the fuel injected bike.

Id really like to see what set ups you all have done and what you would recommend using for the best bang for my buck! thank you all!!

Sam Rogan

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I have an 09 YZ 450 and use a battery in my air box to run my lights. It works but I don't get that much time. steahly off-road makes a pretty well reviewed mid power stator for most bikes, that is the route I am going to go.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I would love to go that route...but they do not have a stator for my bike on their site... Ive been looking all over.. Now im told that my stock stator puts out 55w but thats probably before powering the Fuel injection... ive kind of hit a wall... I wana find a reliable way to light this monster...

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 rmz450 that I am starting the transformation on as well. I also would like any suggestions for a small battery 3-4hr max would be fine for headlight and led taillight. I would like a normal high low headlight if possible

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone have any luck running a DOT approved headlight off of a fuel injected bike yet?.. I wanna get the polisport MMX but can't find anywhere where it will work with my bike...

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Just a heads up, while the LiFePO batteries (Shorai etc) are very light for the cranking power they produce, the total power available when running something relatively low power isn't all that high.

The battery designation for most batteries is approximately the number of amp hours it will provide (at a fairly low draw rate, I don't remember exactly what). For example, a YTZ7S (like my WR450 came with) is around 7 amp hours - it'll put out 1 amp for 7 hours, although that might not be the exact rate - higher draws get less overall power output. Shorai, though rates the amp hour equivalent. An LFX14L2 like I now have is a 14 amp hour equivalence. That means it'll start an engine about like a 14 amp hour battery.

The reason you get more power when you draw slower is that batteries have some internal resistance. When the circuit has a high resistance, the internal resistance will be a small % of the power use. When you increase the power draw, the resistance of the circuit decreases, so the internal resistance is a larger % of the power use.

LiFePO batteries are good at starting engines because they have low internal resistance, so more of the power goes to the starter motor.

When I said the total power available isn't that high, I mean it's around 1/3. The LFX14 is good for around 5Ah if you're running lights or similar. In other words, *less* than the same size lead acid battery (which is good for 7Ah). It does weigh less, so there are some advantages, but it also costs quite a bit more.

If you're confused it makes sense, electrical shit is confusing. I haven't looked into them, but something like an RC car battery might make more sense for running lights, as they're designed to be lightweight and do full power cycles (which aren't good for most motorcycle batteries).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts