SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a good fix for a pinhole leak in the bottom of a tank? Got the bike a few months back and started leaking around the petcock gasket. Ordered a rebuild kit with base gasket and still leaks. So I dumped the gas, filled with water and worked it around as pictured. Damn, got a leak in the dark area above the petcock mount. Looks like someone tried melting it to hold.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I had a small hole in the gas tank of my DRZ when I first bought it... Someone used a screw that was to long for one of the rad shrouds and it went straight through the tank. Anyway, I went to a auto parts store and got this sealant called "Seal All". It's specifically used to patch up gas tanks, radiators, ect. Worked like a charm and I haven't had any problems with it leaking since.

Here's a link to the exact product I used...http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=seal+all&hl=en&prmd=ivns&resnum=2&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=550&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6170833892599708899&sa=X&ei=NZ7eTaf6C4SXtwfZwtmMCg&ved=0CHUQ8gIwAA

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the help guys:thumbup: Seal All may be the easiest thing for me to get locally. Yamabond is surely good stuff too. I knew there was some stuff impervious to gas, I just didn't know about adhering well to plastic tanks.

I'm actually wondering if I'd be better off drilling a small hole to give the bonding agent a bite:headscrat

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I don't know if I'd make a hole... Maybe just rough it up real well with some course sandpaper then clean the area really well with some alcohol or something.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll take your advice and try that first. After the repair and test I'll post the results (hopefully good):anim_peep:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Don't be stingy with it, I really globbed it on! Also, make sure you give it time to cure completely... Not sure what the directions say but I'd imagine at least 24hrs.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
99% sure it is fixed! My buddy at work suggested melting directly at the pinhole with my soldering gun. Used my grandad's old gun (heats up in like 3 seconds) and formed a small roundish cavity. Tested with water and no leak. To be safe, I covered with Seal All and it's curing.

Thanks for the tips Junkies:thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts