SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to doing maintenance on my bikes. I've always taken my street bikes into the dealership for service. Now that I am getting into the Supermoto world, I need to do some of these things myself.

I bought a used 450SMR from a guy who was a lot heavier than me (250 lbs vs 150). I need to swap out his custom springs with the stock KTMs. I can manage the rear spring, that is pretty straight forward, but the fork springs are a bit more intimidating. I have done a few searches on this forum and others, but I am still lost. Can anyone help me out with this. Guys at the track tell me its pretty staight forward, but they are a little short on practical directions.

Can anyone point me towards an existing thread that will help me? If not does anyone have a few tips for me.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I would probably ride the bike first before swapping. Even with heavier forkspring, the forks dived under heavy braking for me. I am close to 190lbs in gear with a .48 spring. I didn't really like the front setup till I got it revalved.

To swap the springs, you'll need a forkcap tool and a 22mm open end wrench. I had to shave down the open end wrench, too thick, so it would fit on the the special nut on the fork rod that holds the spring. Slavens has a video on youtube to change fork oil that can walk you through more of the specifics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Springs

I just did my fork seals on my 520... I used the PDF manual from WP... It walks you through step by step with pictures too!!!! Search for it... If you can't find it... Let me know... I'll email it to you.... And if you want to sell those heavy springs let me know... I'm 230 and my setup is undersprung.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts