SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had my '05 SMR450 running fairly well in stock trim, it was just way low on power, so I got a K&N filter and a Pro-Circuit slip-on. (I also got the stock Titanium headers from a TC450)
With the stock set-up, my jetting was:
185 main
55 pilot
Needle clip in the middle
Air screw 1 3/4 turns out

I know this may seem rich, but it was running good in the fall and spring (~60F weather), and the plugs looked clean and not black. I was starting to get popping-off during decel entering corners, but have had luck adjusting the air-screw to remedy this.

The problem is: I installed the intake and exhaust and the bike won't start! After kicking my leg off, I decided to twist the throttle a bit, and it fired right up! It sounded very "gargley", although it may just be the slip-on, and seemed to smoke a bit. I shut it off, and couldn't get it fired up again! Now I figured that I should have MORE AIR FLOW than the stock set-up, and thus need bigger jets, but I haven't seen anyone running anything bigger on here, even on 510's!!!
Any suggestions???

Also, I put an STM slipper clutch on and something is funked there too, please see my other post if you think you can help with that.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have an 450SMR with SIL full system, K&N filter and full Eng Build, running about 14 to 1 compression. All I am using is the JD jet kit for the Husky. Dyno shows me at 13 to 1 fuel air ratio.

What is your slipper issue? I have an Adler slipper. There is a thrust washer that can be easiy over looked on the stock assy.

·
Registered
725 Posts
help

what do you have for a leak jet ?? have you done the AP mod on the carb ?? there is a sticky for that on TT i think that your pilot is a bit on the largae size. IMHO most run a 4.5 or 4.8 :infrandom

·
Registered
725 Posts
help

huskyfrkwhat do you have for a leak jet ?? have you done the AP mod on the carb ?? there is a sticky for that on TT i think that your pilot is a bit on the large size. IMHO most run a 4.5 or 4.8 :infrandom depending on altitude, leak could be anywhere from 55 to 70. :bike:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Pilot jet is huge, main jet is in the ballpark( when running a K&N and an open as in your current muffler, otherwise a few sizes more than you need even at sea level.) and does not effect starting anyway. The stock leak jet is a zero as in a blank plug which is fine for a pavement bike. Some of these bikes don't have the accelerator pump activated at the dealer and this may explain the need for such a huge pilot jet. What do you have for a needle? Take a fresh look at your plug as this combo should start fine if the plug is not loaded up. with a working ac pump there is no reason for a pilot this big. the TC pipes fit somewhat looser at the joints than the TE or Smr exhaust and tend to pop somewhat due to air leaks, no matter what you have for jetting.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 2005 SMR does not have the issue with the Accelerator Pump, like the newer bikes. I have seen the mods for this, and mie already looks fine. Trust me, I would have noticed a throttle not opening all the way, or an AC pump not working. Although, I have no idea what a leak jet is, but I was under the impression the '05 did not have one, not sure about that but if it will add power, can I remove a plug and add one? The needle is stock, with the clip in the middle.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The leak jet folks are talking about is a way to leak off some of the pump shot. This is very important on a woods bike where you are constantly wringing the thing on and off in the pump zone as a zero leak can cause the bike to load up. Bigger leak jet numbers equates to more leak and less pump shot. Although some claim otherwise, it is my experience that you get get away with a much bigger pumpshot on a taller geared pavement bike than a short geared dirt bike that gets used in more technical situations. Does the 05 still have the Keihin FCR carb like the 06 and 07's?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts