SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode an XR250 some years back; lotsa mud, hills, trails, did ok, but still a relatively new rider overall. Never on street, though the MSF class was a joke (I was dragging the pegs of bike they gave me, not afraid to lean in the corners at all, instructor asked what I was doing there, but street is way different than trails IMHO). Thought about a Ducati Monster 800 as my first/only bike, but realized that a supermoto bike would be a better first bike for the street, and will probably be a lot more fun too. I plan on taking a course and checking out Stockton trackdays at some point.

I have eyes on a 06 Husky 450smr, or an 06 DRZ-400SM. I've also read about these Husky 510s, TEs, blah blah and don't know how any compare. So, in review:
- don't want to be hungering for more power later on
- only weigh 155lbs, 6' tall (DRZ is ~ 320 wet, I hear)
- will ride a bit around my rural town, but mostly twisties and backroads
- not into doing maintenance myself (and not doing a ton of it $$$)
- not into the idea of getting off a bike and feeling like I'm still vibrating from it for the next half hour

It seems the DRZ, but its weight and lower power make me think twice. Thanks for any thoughts or support....

-Rob

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Look in the Street Tards section. At the top there are two "What makes the best street tard" threads. Happy reading.

First decision you need to make is do you want a reliable, low maintenance bike or a barely street legal screamer with much higher maintenance and higher probability of breakage. That will narrow your choices considerably.

After that, it is a personal decision between the different bikes. In the different categories, they are very comparable. Buy what calls to you. If you get what someone else tells you, and you don't like it, you will be unhappy for a long time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The Husky won't leave you wanting for more horsepower wise (in comparison to the DRZ), but the maintenance is definitely higher than the DRZ. The oil change and valve check intervals are much closer together on the Husky and racking up miles on the street happens fast. (its a dirtbike with motard tires) I have stock gearing on my Husky and it doesn't like to cruise over 50-55 comfortably. The bike is obviously buzzy, but if you are numb after getting off of the bike it will be from having too much fun. I've found, imo, the Husky is good for in town riding and short trips. The only downside is there is no radiator fan or warning lights on the display for that matter. The Husky, being a race bike, wants to be all or none, its lighting stator sucks (the headlight basically dies when you hit the brakes), it actually charges at idle around 12.8 volts. That kinda sucks but at cruise it charges good. The front headlight is absolutely worthless. Even in town you can't see shit. It points straight at the ground. It loves being WFO...Its light, nimble, narrow and a complete blast. I'm happy I purchased the Husky over the DRZ...

my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I eyeball the Hoosk-varna's everytime I go to the dealer, and I agree w/ everything kneedragger said, but still, it's hard to beat a DRZ for a street motard. They are stone reliable, w/ a few mods they will have enough power to have plenty of fun, and the aftermarket support for them is huge. Sure, i'd love to have a Husqvarna 510 SM. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy one or never will, but if you're the type to ride everyday and want a reliable bike to commute on, and that's a blast on the backroads, i'd choose the DRZ. W/ stock gearing, top comfortable (as in you don't feel like you're running the guts out of it) cruise speed is about 74 mph indicated, which is most likely about 68~70 mph. You can change the final gearing and move that comfort zone up considerably if you spend time on the highway, at the cost of a little low end grunt of course.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would agree the DRZ is a "better" street motard if you don't want to dick with the maintenance. I'm thinking the DRZ may give you a better "piece of mind" as far as reliability. The other downside with the Husky, in my experience, is finding after market support. I think that is the single most thing I dislike about my 450.

·
Registered
12 Posts
DRZ400SM-
low maintenance, fun as hell in the city, reliable, unlimited aftermarket, down on power compared to 450 or 510 but performance mods unchoke the engine and enhance the experience. stick with the suzuki, but maybe thats cuz i have one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im a BRAND new rider. No peg scraping for me yet. I have the DRZ and enjoy it plenty. I cant compare to KTM or Husky or the racier brands but Im not lusting after more power. Maybe someday I will?

I bought it to commute on occasional days (at least once a week) and ride country roads with 55 limits (which means I ride up to 65mph but no more). Im 5'10 with my boots on and I reach the ground fine (32" inseam I think), I weigh about 170 and with the bike being so light its a bit blowy but it doesnt spoil the ride.

I dont know the other bikes mpg but thats what really sold me on the 400. I put 1.8 gallons in (to the brim) today and I had over 100 miles on the trip meter, so im getting over 50mpg.

Just a total newbies perspective.

·
Registered
556 Posts
my first bike was a cbr 600 f2 streetfighter....i wanted more so i got a 600rr....just totaled it and have no need for that kinda bike on the street round here so i bought the DRZ....well i just put 32 miles on it (odometer is only at 34 now lol) and i am sad that i parked it....i want to go ride moreeeeeeeeee......as far as vibration goes...i have a broken wrist in 3 places and it feels no worse than before i got on the bike so as fas as im concerned vibration is practically non existant.....i vote DRZ all the way...i think i am in love

1 - 10 of 10 Posts