SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode an XR250 some years back; lotsa mud, hills, trails, did ok, but still a relatively new rider overall. Never on street, though the MSF class was a joke (I was dragging the pegs of bike they gave me, not afraid to lean in the corners at all, instructor asked what I was doing there, but street is way different than trails IMHO). Thought about a Ducati Monster 800 as my first/only bike, but realized that a supermoto bike would be a better first bike for the street, and will probably be a lot more fun too. I plan on taking a course and checking out Stockton trackdays at some point.

I have eyes on a 06 Husky 450smr, or an 06 DRZ-400SM. I've also read about these Husky 510s, TEs, blah blah and don't know how any compare. So, in review:
- don't want to be hungering for more power later on
- only weigh 155lbs, 6' tall (DRZ is ~ 320 wet, I hear)
- will ride a bit around my rural town, but mostly twisties and backroads
- not into doing maintenance myself (and not doing a ton of it $$$)
- not into the idea of getting off a bike and feeling like I'm still vibrating from it for the next half hour

It seems the DRZ, but its weight and lower power make me think twice. Thanks for any thoughts or support....

-Rob

·
Registered
952 Posts
The question you have to ask yourself is are you willing to sacrifice performance for reliability.

If you are than go with the DRZ, its a great bike but like you already know it does have less power and weigh more than the Huskys.

If you are not then you will ultimately be working on your bike more but enjoying it more when you are riding it. I own a 510 and it is awesome, the upkeep is kinda a pain but once you get used to doing it it is really not that bad. If you are planning on going to the track i think it is a much better option but if you are completely against working on it often (500 mile oil changes and 1000 mile valve checks/adjustments) than you will either not ride it to keep the miles down or you will just not do it and risk damaging the motor.

That said, the only difference between the 450 and 510 is the stroke. This affects the power curve a bit, the 450 has more of a snappy feel to it and the 510 has a longer flatter torque curve. For the street most people like the 510 a little better because it is a bit more forgiving, getting onto the throttle is less abrupt. Either bike is a good option i would say since you are trying to buy used just go with whatever you find a good deal on.

Another bike you may want to look into is the Husky 610. It is much more street friendly than the 450/510 and although it is a bit heavier it is a good alternative if you are looking for performance and streetability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ah, playground responses, I love it! Just for that GreenPee, I may have to get a Husky and 'look like a dork' ! hehhh.....

·
Registered
203 Posts
You said you didn't want to do maintenance yourself, so go DR-Z. Everyone here will tell you how they do their own oil changes and valve checks weekly(in most cases).

·
Registered
45 Posts
I rode an XR250 some years back; lotsa mud, hills, trails, did ok, but still a relatively new rider overall. Never on street, though the MSF class was a joke (I was dragging the pegs of bike they gave me, not afraid to lean in the corners at all, instructor asked what I was doing there, but street is way different than trails IMHO). Thought about a Ducati Monster 800 as my first/only bike, but realized that a supermoto bike would be a better first bike for the street, and will probably be a lot more fun too. I plan on taking a course and checking out Stockton trackdays at some point.

I have eyes on a 06 Husky 450smr, or an 06 DRZ-400SM. I've also read about these Husky 510s, TEs, blah blah and don't know how any compare. So, in review:
- don't want to be hungering for more power later on
- only weigh 155lbs, 6' tall (DRZ is ~ 320 wet, I hear)
- will ride a bit around my rural town, but mostly twisties and backroads
- not into doing maintenance myself (and not doing a ton of it $$$)
- not into the idea of getting off a bike and feeling like I'm still vibrating from it for the next half hour

It seems the DRZ, but its weight and lower power make me think twice. Thanks for any thoughts or support....

-Rob
Buy the Suzuki learn to ride a motard then get bored with it being slow then buy a 610 sm and have alot of fun.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Get the DRZ. Then you won't feel as bad when you get dusted by my 510:thumbup:

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'd say DRZ and you have to understand one thing when you compare it to anything else.

When you compare it to anything other than the WRX 250 you are comparing against more race oriented Supermotos and maintenance will totally factor into why they have more power and are lighter than the DRZ and WRX.

This doesn't mean you are buying a slug of a bike , it means that you are buying a totally street legal bike that in the right set of hands will rail the twisties and put a shit eating grin on your face.

I'd say get the DRZ ride the snot out of it and then decide if doing weekly oil changes and valve adjustments are worth the effort in the next year.

Remember it's always better to be the fast guy on the slower bike than the slower guy on the fastest bike.

Just get something and get out there and ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts