SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 drz400sm. oem carbs. all i have done to them is the jet kit.

pulled the carb to install the jd jetting jet kit after installing the rs2, k&n, 3x3, and new plug. after getting it all back together, i had a leaking float bowl (bad grommet). pulled it again, replaced that, and got her back together. now it's running. starts fine, idles fine, but when i'm at a roll and try to "stomp" on it, she bogs down. i'm guessing this is running SUPER rich. but i don't know.

i'm in the houston, tx area. it's about 70-80* for 4 months a year, 90+ for 6 months, and then 40's for 2 months. i installed the red needed, with the clip third from the top. i used the 145 main, and the supplied other one... whatever it's called.

suggestions? i don't wanna have to pull the carb, try a jet, then pull it again. i want this to be my last time to pull it, as we all know it's a HUGE pita.

TIA!

·
Registered
154 Posts
2009 drz400sm. oem carbs. all i have done to them is the jet kit.

pulled the carb to install the jd jetting jet kit after installing the rs2, k&n, 3x3, and new plug. after getting it all back together, i had a leaking float bowl (bad grommet). pulled it again, replaced that, and got her back together. now it's running. starts fine, idles fine, but when i'm at a roll and try to "stomp" on it, she bogs down. i'm guessing this is running SUPER rich. but i don't know.

i'm in the houston, tx area. it's about 70-80* for 4 months a year, 90+ for 6 months, and then 40's for 2 months. i installed the red needed, with the clip third from the top. i used the 145 main, and the supplied other one... whatever it's called.

suggestions? i don't wanna have to pull the carb, try a jet, then pull it again. i want this to be my last time to pull it, as we all know it's a HUGE pita.

TIA!
Whats up brotha? You still having issues huh? I have the same mods except I have the MRD/SSW pipe and Im running the 155MJ, red clip 3rd from top, 25 PJ and I have the Air mix screw 3 turns out...

Do you even have the air mixture screw on your carb yet? If not I got another one Ill sell to ya..i even have another set of bowl allen screws

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whats up brotha? You still having issues huh? I have the same mods except I have the MRD/SSW pipe and Im running the 155MJ, red clip 3rd from top, 25 PJ and I have the Air mix screw 3 turns out...

Do you even have the air mixture screw on your carb yet? If not I got another one Ill sell to ya..i even have another set of bowl allen screws
if you're running a 155 mj then maybe i'm running CRAZY lean with my 145. i'll prolly pull the plug before tackling this again, and go from there. my air mix screw is also 3 turns out. :) sounds like you have the same setup, and i'm guessing it's running NICE.

and yea, this is it. got a few more odds and ends and i'm good. i got the fuel problem solved - it was simply pure idiocy. :( trying to run the bike on "fuel" with only a splash of gas in the tank. only "reserve" would be able to pull gas at that level. :lol:

·
Registered
154 Posts
if you're running a 155 mj then maybe i'm running CRAZY lean with my 145. i'll prolly pull the plug before tackling this again, and go from there. my air mix screw is also 3 turns out. :) sounds like you have the same setup, and i'm guessing it's running NICE.

and yea, this is it. got a few more odds and ends and i'm good. i got the fuel problem solved - it was simply pure idiocy. :( trying to run the bike on "fuel" with only a splash of gas in the tank. only "reserve" would be able to pull gas at that level. :lol:
:thumbup: Yea it coould be lean...Im still trying to learn how this whole carb thing works:rolleyes2: maybe I will go buy me a Power Commader and be done with it:lol:
Try to 155MJ and see how that works...oh and make sure you got gas in the tank:lol:

I havent had any issues with my jetting, mine runs pretty good actlually. It will pull the front right up every time in first with a crack of the throttle...I was at MU the other day and I will be getting the suspension sorted out with Race Tech internals here in the next few weeks:arsenal

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
i don't wanna have to pull the carb, try a jet, then pull it again. i want this to be my last time to pull it, as we all know it's a HUGE pita.
one of the main reasons i chose the 250x over the 400. thats exactly what i had to do on my quad every time i changed anything. i promise this wont be the last time you pop the carb off. it sucks i know, but thats what it takes to get the jetting prfect. good luck.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Blue Needle 3rd notch from top
160 main jet
25 pilot (or 22.5 with extended aftermarket fuel screw)
Fuel screw at 2.75 turns out

You really need to do the fuel screw test to get it dialed perfectly though. Here's how

http://www.thumperfaq.com/fuel_screw.htm

·
Registered
154 Posts
160 main jet

You really need to do the fuel screw test to get it dialed perfectly though. Here's how

Blue? Damn Im gonna have to go home and check what needle I have left in my jet kit to make sure I told Agg2001 the right one....

·
Registered
102 Posts
it's much easier to just remove the throttle cables and fuel lines, that way you can just spin the carb in the boots, its a pain in the butt trying to re-install the carb once you fully remove it. FYI

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so it sounds like my problem is the main. need to up it to the 155.

thoughts on needle? most are running blue... guess i should stick with that as well? directions said red if over 75* mostly. only reason i switched. stupid carbs. FI ftw! :|

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it's much easier to just remove the throttle cables and fuel lines, that way you can just spin the carb in the boots, its a pain in the butt trying to re-install the carb once you fully remove it. FYI
actually, that's thinking. i'll do that. eff trying to reseat that airbox boot. :rant:

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
I know the JD instructions say the Red needle, but I'm 99% sure they stated over at TT that was a mixup in the instructions, but don't hold me to it. I know a lot of guys running the blue needle at sea level though.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know the JD instructions say the Red needle, but I'm 99% sure they stated over at TT that was a mixup in the instructions, but don't hold me to it. I know a lot of guys running the blue needle at sea level though.
Well, hopefully I can spin it in the boots and change the MJ AND the needle. :rant:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, hopefully I can spin it in the boots and change the MJ AND the needle. :rant:
no.. i coudn't. stupid "oil vapor can" b.s. pulled the carb, swapped the needle to blue, and changed the main to a 155. let's hope this works... i effing loath having to pull the carb. :fact

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
no.. i coudn't. stupid "oil vapor can" b.s. pulled the carb, swapped the needle to blue, and changed the main to a 155. let's hope this works... i effing loath having to pull the carb. :fact
You can unbolt the oil catch can and do it. I've done it with the FCR which has way less room to work with.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can unbolt the oil catch can and do it. I've done it with the FCR which has way less room to work with.
well, i ended up pulling it completely. piss drunk last night during the rejet. checked my work this morning - at 80%. :anim_peep: perfect. and worked like a CHAMP this afternoon. clocked a few miles of "road/dirt" miles while at a buddy's. :D

·
Registered
366 Posts
160 main jet

+ 1 on this and yes on the blue needle too, red is for higher elivation im pretty sure.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i redid it with the blue needle, clip on the third notch from the top, the PJ that came with teh kit (25), and a 155 MJ. worked like a champ. i'll prolly check the plug in a couple hundred miles to see how it looks.

·
Registered
366 Posts
cool I was running a 155 but then i put a 165 in because i cut the side panel. i think you should put the 160 in but check the plug or find out who has a motorcycle dyno near you and try to become best of friends.:lol::lol:

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
i redid it with the blue needle, clip on the third notch from the top, the PJ that came with teh kit (25), and a 155 MJ. worked like a champ. i'll prolly check the plug in a couple hundred miles to see how it looks.
You can't do it after a couple hundred miles, too many variables and carb circuits involved over time. Here's the way to do it, with a brand new plug

In a wide open area with the engine warmed up, run up through the gears hard, hit 3rd or 4th at WOT (so you are on the main jet only), and kill the engine and pull the clutch simultaneously, pull the plug and check it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can't do it after a couple hundred miles, too many variables and carb circuits involved over time. Here's the way to do it, with a brand new plug

In a wide open area with the engine warmed up, run up through the gears hard, hit 3rd or 4th at WOT (so you are on the main jet only), and kill the engine and pull the clutch simultaneously, pull the plug and check it.
what do you mean? run it up to 3 or 4 then just pop the clutch and hit the kill switch, and coast back home? then look at the plug? white is lean, black is rich? i'm guessing y'all think i'll be lean?

or do i just take my tools with me since i'll be a little ways from the house at this point? :lol:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts