SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so Im new to smjunkie. I resently came across a 2006 husqvarna SMR510. my wife has been eanting a new bike for a wile so I thought what the heck. so I got it. when I got it, it was note running, the kid I got it off of had rebuilt the engine, it rean for 15 minutes then died, and would not run since. after a wile I found out the the woodrif key for hte stater had broken and it was out of time. after fixing that I got the bike running. and here in lies the problem.

this bike runs like a scalded dog when you are opening the trottle or when the engine is under load, but it idles really rough, and it will sputter and spit when the engine is not under load, or you are just trying to crouse down the road. I have checked the electronics, and the stater is not putting out the resistance it is suposed to, but its close. Im thinking the issue is the jetting, because if I have it running and turn off the gas, the bike starts to run smooth right before the carb goes empty, Im guessing its sucking up air through the main jet with fuel for a few seconds and leans it out? does anyone have any Ideas? I live at about 2000ft elevation and the main jet says its a 50? is that right. thanks guys.

long live sm

·
Registered
68 Posts
ok so Im new to smjunkie. I resently came across a 2006 husqvarna SMR510. my wife has been eanting a new bike for a wile so I thought what the heck. so I got it. when I got it, it was note running, the kid I got it off of had rebuilt the engine, it rean for 15 minutes then died, and would not run since. after a wile I found out the the woodrif key for hte stater had broken and it was out of time. after fixing that I got the bike running. and here in lies the problem.

this bike runs like a scalded dog when you are opening the trottle or when the engine is under load, but it idles really rough, and it will sputter and spit when the engine is not under load, or you are just trying to crouse down the road. I have checked the electronics, and the stater is not putting out the resistance it is suposed to, but its close. Im thinking the issue is the jetting, because if I have it running and turn off the gas, the bike starts to run smooth right before the carb goes empty, Im guessing its sucking up air through the main jet with fuel for a few seconds and leans it out? does anyone have any Ideas? I live at about 2000ft elevation and the main jet says its a 50? is that right. thanks guys.

long live sm
Cover the intake, if it runs better then it's running lean. If it runs worse then it's running rich. Adjust from there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's all about the throttle position

That has an FCR MX41 carb. Right?

Since you are likely talking about the bike running on the first quarter turn of the throttle, start with the fuel screw and pilot jet. Replace the pilot with what's specified in the service manual.

Screw the fuel mixture screw all the way in and count the turns to know where it was. Nominal should be 1 and a half turns out. That can change with fuel formulations, elevation, etc.

With the bike that old the jets could be worn or gummed up, so go ahead and replace the pilot, and the main jets. It'll cost you $15.00. Tokyo Mods has them all. They also have a fuel mixture screw that extends below carb that allows finger adjustment. I bought one and ended up making my own...

Also make sure the intake manifold is not cracked and leaking air.

I have heaps of information on these carbs, so please PM me if you'd like some tuning documents. I got into it, and ultimately found that the stock jets are what you will use. Clean the carb, replace the jets, set the fuel mixture screw and ride.

If you are taking the carb out of the bike, it's best to undo the subframe so you can pull the airbox junction straight back off the carb w/o too much distress. Mind the intake manifold too. I can tell you they cost money and will royally screw up the bike with a crack. Pops, etc.

And drain the fuel first. You would be amazed how much fuel is in there.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I will check that stuff out. I already have the aftermarket fuel screw. I can turn in all the way in or out, and it does not affect the way it runs. Its Completely clean. But I'm not sure if someone has put different jets in it. Does anyone know the original sizes?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I would get on the thumper talk husky forum and see what people are running. Assuming it's fuel related, it sounds like your pilot circuit is gunked up - probably from sitting any length of time. 45 PJ should get you in the range. And don't bother cleaning it. just get a new one. I order them off ebay for a couple bucks. There's also a passage above the PJ that might need to be cleaned. I pulled the carb on mine and ran some fishing line up through it - kind of flossing it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts