SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I am working on a '05 husky SMR450.
So, I was in the middle of installing my new STM slipper clutch, the bike was laying on it's left side, and for some dumb reason I pulled in the clutch lever while there was no clutch installed. I noticed it felt like it was stuck, so I probably made a mistake in pulling it in harder. I heard a loud pop then the lever pulled all the way in. I didn't think much of it, and went on to install the slipper. I noticed that once I installed the pushrod, pulling in the clutch lever did not move it. (I never tried this before, but I would assume that pulling in the lever should move the pushrod.)

I am almost positive that I have installed everything correctly. However, the clutch has no feel. I can put the bike in gear, and roll it without pulling in the clutch (although there is slightly more resistance than in neutral). I'm not sure if this is how it is supposed to work with a slipper. Can anyone advise!?!?

I am afraid I screwed up something between the hydraulic clutch system and the mechanical pushrod activation. How can I check this?!

I would just fire it up and click it into gear and see what happens, but I also installed a K&N filter and Pro-Circuit slip-on, and now my jetting is funked and the bike won't start! I got it running once by giving it throttle while kicking it (usually a no-no), but it was smoking a bit. I would think I need to jet it richer to accommodate for the increased air-flow, but I am already running a 185 main and 55 pilot jet. Most people may say this is too rich already, but it was running good in stock trim with this jetting last fall and spring (60-70F weather). I have a larger thread on the Husky page, if you need more info.

I really appreciate any advice anyone can offer...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Keep in mind I don't know anything about how a motorcycle hydraulic clutch works, but is it possible that you over extended the slave cylinder when you pulled the lever with the clutch torn apart? It would be like having your brake caliper off and pulling the lever and the piston coming out because there is nothing to stop it. Just a thought.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Did you check for a snapped cable? Is the slipper adjusted according to spec?After that,I'd talk to someone at Husky-Still no help?Pull it apart,taking pics as you go.Just follow the control path from lever to clutch,determining that everything is working.For this you should definitely have a Shop manual,without one you're flying blind.Good Luck.

·
Registered
319 Posts
sounds like you pushed the piston out of the slave like als650l said. i'd get the jetting sorted after you get the clutch fixed. what color was the smoke? could be just the new material in the can burning in and/or a little unburnt fuel. not sure about the jetting on a husky though. good luck:thumbup:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, two of you were right. I overextended the piston in the master cylinder. Problem is, a circlip is used as a stop, and I pulled hard enough to break the piece that houses the circlip. Which means I need to buy a new master cylinder cover. But hey, that's better than if it wasn't sealed to the case and had fallen in there!
Oh, as for the other suggestion... uhmmmm, no offense, but you do realize this is a hydraulic clutch right.? There is no cable, only a hydraulic line. Thanks for the help guys...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes I realize that. Some H.clutch systems still have a cable involved.You'll have to forgive the early onset of senility on my part.Still,get yourself the book if you don't have it already,that Husky is gonna need more work.

·
Registered
148 Posts
That's O.K., Leave me hanging.Abandon The Thread!All Ye ,Who Enter Here!How knowledgable of you to be so sure that all Hydraulic Clutches work just like yours!Didn't know it was a contest ,just tried to help.But like I said ,that's O.K..Karma's a Wheel.What goes around,Comes Around.Show No respect,Get None.:rant:

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Yep, two of you were right. I overextended the piston in the master cylinder. Problem is, a circlip is used as a stop, and I pulled hard enough to break the piece that houses the circlip. Which means I need to buy a new master cylinder cover. But hey, that's better than if it wasn't sealed to the case and had fallen in there!
Oh, as for the other suggestion... uhmmmm, no offense, but you do realize this is a hydraulic clutch right.? There is no cable, only a hydraulic line. Thanks for the help guys...
dont feel bad i did the same thing screwing around while putting a stm in my buddies 510. i felf rather dumb. however i was lucky it did break the clip grove only about half way arouond so it was reuseable after sever minutes of bleeding the clutch. haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts