SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I'm considering an SM at the moment and I'm drawn to these for budget and practicality reasons. Previously I had an 05 zx10, so obviously this is a bit down on power, but more practical in my opinion.

How often does the oil and filters need to be changed?
Are there any cheap and easy ways to gain a bit more power? I have read 3x3 and a few other common things but I am new to this... :rolleyes:
Any recommended gearing ratios?
Also is an rs4 a worthwhile addition? I'm a tad worried about the heels of my boots resting on the stumpy pipes...

Thanks in advance,

Matt

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm okay since posting this, I have come across an xr650r with full motard and dirt gear, plus a 08 KTM SM690 (all around similar price, DRZ is new)
I'm guessing these three cannot be compared, but if it came does to reliability and then fun (in that order :rolleyes2:) which would you blokes choose?

·
Registered
281 Posts
sorry can't comment on the other 2 models you mentioned, i've never been on them. BUT, coming from several different sport bikes to the DRZ, here are a few observations:

the DRZ is fast(enough) up to 80mph, then done! so don't expect to cruise all day at 85 like the sportbike, i generally have to dial back my commute to 70mph to leave room for passing up to 85 or 90.
i think any motard will need a custom seat, at least mine did, so it's very tolerable now for long days.
oil/filter i'm going about every 1500 miles, but they are alot cheaper than the zx-10. I think my filters were just $4 each etc.. no fairings to take off either to do so.

DRZ = WAYYYYYYY more fun on a daily basis than any sportbike... but i do miss having the RC51, i'm sure it would get used one of my 5 days to work. not enough to justify keeping it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
i have a drz, my friend an 02 xr650 r and another with the ktm,

i've road all three, the inverted front on the drz and ktm is nice
the power of the xr and ktm are nice..

i love my drz, but i love that xr to, the ktm has power, but is kinda rough..

i'd go xr for fun the drz for commuting, and ktm for racing..

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think that the XR has really bad fuel economy. If you want to commute a bunch I'd say ktm 625 or 690. I commute a little but mostly blast around town and don't have a complaint with the drz.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have had my drz for 2 years now. I think its a great bike to get into sm. But my feeling is its going to always be an intro bike. Not as fast or as light. But with the easy maintenance and low cost of ownership you can ride the Hell out of it till you are ready to step up to more speed and maintenance. They are great bikes and will keep a smile on your face but after a bit of time you will be looking for more.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had a play on the sm, jez that thing was a beast compared to the drz. Still thinking the drz is a better long term choice due to recently starting uni for costs...the ktm was great though... :)

I did notice the fueling was a bit rough at slow speeds on the orange and black beast though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also the xr wasnt registered for road use, plus the lack of electric start or ignition barrel poses a problem...

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have had my drz for 2 years now. I think its a great bike to get into sm. But my feeling is its going to always be an intro bike. Not as fast or as light. But with the easy maintenance and low cost of ownership you can ride the Hell out of it till you are ready to step up to more speed and maintenance. They are great bikes and will keep a smile on your face but after a bit of time you will be looking for more.
+ :thumbup:

My K7 SM was a blast, but enough was enough eventually.

Now I'm on a 660 SMC. No keys, keystart only and 1500 mile oil change intervals are a bit more interesting, but so is the power :thumbup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Came from ZX6r to DRZ400sm. Can only echo power to about 85 and then it tails off. Seat has never been an issue. Can be buzzy on the highway to the hands, so IMHO numbness is a much greater concern than seat. Commutes over 1/2 hour will be felt in the hands. Get some good gloves.
The good....the popo leave you alone. No more tailing and profiling. I used to hate that about sportbikes. Your wrists, back, and crotch will thank you too. You'll take offramps at speeds your zx10 couldn't imagine. Wheelies are easy but if you can't shift - they will be much shorter. In second gear you need to find balance point fast - there is no adjusting like you can on a sportbike. If I had tools out and game on I could do oil change in just under 15 minutes. Changes every 1000 miles and run sythetic.

·
Registered
316 Posts

my old DRZ :D

they are decent bikes, just limited when you get used to them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In the end I picked up an 08 model. Came with an R-S2, engine casings, new levers, mirrors, (an interesting) sticker kit, some kind of jetting and a few other goodies. Seems very good so far. I did buy a silencing end cap for the Yoshi though; It was a bit too noisy for every day use for my liking.
Also, does the 3x3 airbox mod create alot of noise? Someone mentioned that might be a possible factor. Once I take the minimal fairings off and look for the airbox we'll see if the previous owner did it.
My impression is he intended to race it and put a fair few parts on...then realised their were better base models with more power/less weight...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Will do later. Where is the choice site for buying new plastics and graphics for you blokes? I'd rather keep the oem plastics and re-sticker the new ones.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Not to argue bobinatcat, but unless they did something else outside of the US that's an '09. Not that it makes a real difference but they didn't start the barbwire decals till '09.

In any case, the 3x3 mod is in the top of the air box. Just pull the seat, it should be obvious right there. I have never heard of that mod making more noise, just a little added power from better airflow.

Looks like its in nice shape though. Have fun.
I bought mine new in '08 and now have over 16k miles on it and have never had any major issues that weren't my own stupid fault.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Opening the arvid will create more noise. Not that bad though for the improvements you get. Def not louder than the rs2

1 - 20 of 25 Posts