SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i took the rm/cr500 out for a little helmet cam footage. passed a cop going to fast and blew the top end all in about 5 minutes. it was my fault i guess i forgot you cant rape a 2 stroke constantly or they blow up. oh well off to eric gorr for a bigbore and 80 ponies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws5ZTbyOopw

·
Registered
976 Posts
I didnt really see anything in that video that shouldve cause a catastrophic blowup. Was the motor fresh? What were you mixing at, and with what oil?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the motor needed a going through, it was ok but by no means fresh. the oil was spectro at 32-1 ish usually i run at 42-1 but i got a little crazy with the mix at the pump. im pretty sure the oil wasnt the issue as i have run spectro in all my smokers and has always worked great. oh well i planned on sending it to eric gorr for some port work and a big bore anyways.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Suspension looks a little squishy... You a big dude or is your shock blown?

·
Registered
11 Posts
If a 2 stroke is jetted to run 42:1 and you put in more oil essentially you lean out its air:fuel ration making it lean. Sounds weird I know but the oil is not an efficent fuel so essentially the carb is metering the same amount of fluid as always for the air going through it however more of the fluid is oil therefore making it run lean. This could easily burn out a topend quickly. I run a KDX200 on the street and can run it at 60mph for long periods of time and it has not blown up yet. I wanted to build a KX500 next but the laws here changed and now I can't license a dirt bike. There is something I love about 2 strokes, just basic raw power, but I have to get by with my SMC.

Of course the best thing for a street 2 stroke is oil injected so the carb doesn't have to deal with extra or less oil if you get the mix wrong.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Suspension looks a little squishy... You a big dude or is your shock blown?
naah im about 190 i need to revalve the shock its set up for about a 160lb woods rider i just didnt have the extra 400$ layin around when i put it together. i still have a few bugs to work out suspension, top end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts