SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

My name is Dave and I’m from Belfast, Northern Ireland!

Just saying hello and introducing myself!

Had bikes since I was 17 (I’m now 36) but I’ve never had a proper sumo. Recently sold a 2015 Triumph Street Triple and now I’m in the market for a sumo.....but......I have no idea what I actually want!,

I’ll be using the bike for tearing up the Irish twisty mountain roads at the weekend and the odd 100 mile trip (maybe 3 times a year) with a few mates on their cruisers and sports bikes! I’m totally torn between 3 bikes, a 2013 SMR511, 2008 SM690 or (and I know it’s not a sumo) 2014 KTM Duke 690. All three of these bikes are for sale locally around the £4-5k mark. There is also a 2013 te449 for sale which looks quite nice.

All advice is much appreciated! I really like the Husky although I’d rather not be changing the oil and filter every few rides. Do any of you guys have an SMR5111? Would it be suitable for what I want to do? How much maintenance do they actually need? I did download the manual but it only gives service intervals for the restricted bikes.

I have a 2015 KTM sxf250 which I service myself every 3 hours and while I don’t mind doing this I’d rather ride my bikes than service them!!

List of bikes I’ve had:

Honda nsr125
Suzuki 400 bandit
Suzuki 750 bandit
Yamaha xt660x
Suzuki gsf 650 bandit
Suzuki sv650
Triumph 675 street triple
Honda crf250r
Ktm 250sxf

Thanks in advance for all advice guys! Looking forward to getting to know you all! This is the first forum I have actually ever joined so apologies if I make any newbie mistakes!

Dave

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I had a 2008 converted 690E. It was great. 654cc
The 2014 Duke has a generation or two newer engine. 693cc, and would be the “sensible” choice. (Due bike style*)

If one comes up, a 2016 or newer Duke has the latest spec engine (big bore/short stroke, 2 balance shafts). I’m riding this engine in my ‘17 Husky 701.

*The 511 would be the least “sensible”, but on short rides, on the right roads, potentially the most fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Skypig!

Thanks for the reply mate!

Yeah, I do like the duke690 but they are sooo common over here, think that's why they are all selling for less money!

The husky 701 is what I would really like but cheapest I've seen here is £6500 and my wife controls my wallet so won't let me go above £5k 🤔🤔!

What is the service intervals on an smr511? I did find a post on here that stated valve checks every 1000km and full engine rebuild at 5000km!! Surely they must be more than that for a "factory" sumo?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I’m not really knowledgeable about those Husky’s, but assume they are the equivalent of current FE/EXC models. IE. Competition based bikes. The mtce requirements and longevity are very different from 690s/DRZs etc.

I change the oil on my SX/EXC approximately every 500km of gentle riding. Every second ride if it’s used in anger. (And I don’t do many km per event)

The recommended interval is 10 000km on the 701/690. I change it around 3000km. (OCD is a form of mental illness.)

Max power output/longevity/low matainance. Pick the two you want.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
My advice:
Don’t overthink it. (Like I do:hmmm:)
Buy it with your heart, the one you really want. (Like I do:thumbup:)
Ride it and enjoythe hell out of the whole experience. (Like I do:bannana:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts