SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All
Just registered...GREAT forum!
Have ridden for 30 yrs now (yep! I'm kinda old, sorta lol).
Couple questions
I currently ride a large sport-touring bike which I enjoy and have no plans to get rid of.
I've probably owned over 30 bikes in my life (maybe 40), and like alot of you, grew up on dirt bikes and motocrossers. My last offroad bike was an XR400. I'm liking the look and cost of the DRZ400SM and would consider adding one to the mix as a fun play bike and possible commuter into work (about 15km ea way). Would it be fair to say that the Suzuki 400 is comparable power-wise to my old Honda XR? Secondly, how would the DRZ SM fit my 5'11" 205lb carcass? Is this bike fairly generous in proportions? Or would I look and feel like a gorilla humping a football? Any other mid-forties guys living out their mid-life crisis on this forum? I absolutely love riding, and look forward to finding out so much more about the DRZ SM. There are tons of late model low milers for sale all the time. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I'm 5'11" and about 190# and my DRZ does just fine for me with the basic power up mods that are most common to the DRZ.
If you look around a little bit (especially in the Suzuki section) you'll find that the bike comes from the factory a little soft suspension wise for someone over 180. I need to do mine soon (maybe this winter if all goes well) but other than that you'll love how light this bike is to throw around. Compared to the big cruiser it'll feel like a ten speed.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Would it be fair to say that the Suzuki 400 is comparable power-wise to my old Honda XR?
Very much so. Plus, some DRZs have electric start buttons and XRs don;t

Secondly, how would the DRZ SM fit my 5'11" 205lb carcass? Is this bike fairly generous in proportions? Or would I look and feel like a gorilla humping a football?
To me they are very similar ergonomically to an XR just not quite as tall. I think you'll be fine.

Any other mid-forties guys living out their mid-life crisis on this forum?
I am over 50 and still having a mid-life crisis.

Have fun looking for your steed and welcome to SMJ!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Welcome to SMJ Samuel!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts